Women's March Madness: Cyclones vs Texas A&M 6 p.m. ESPN2

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
3) Joens' dad is quite competitive. It's great to see a parent involved/passionate about their kid's sports/activities. But he crossed the line IMHO. I probably wouldn't have minded his outbursts as much if he wasn't sitting right next to 3 of his other kids. It's not a great example to show your kids how to handle yourself

Unfortunately that is him being him from everything I've heard and read. He got ejected from the Iowa game earlier this season before it even tipped off. You don't have to look much to find stories of his feuds with neighbors, neighboring businesses or animosity towards the Iowa staff. On the other hand the good news is you could look forever and not find a single negative about any of the daughters. Even people posting on the Iowa boards over the years about what an ******* he is usually preface it with complements that the daughters are awesome gals.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Bill is not a good late game coach when he has a go to player. During the last 2-3 minutes of regulation Iowa State quit running their offense and creating open looks. There were 3 different occasion when A&M baited Iowa State into trying to isolate Joens and they all back fired. We have too many good shooters and ball handlers to play that way. Poor officiating aside, Bill put his team in a position to lose.

I agree. For the last 4 minutes or so it was groundhogs day each possession with either Lexi or Ashley having the ball in their hands having to make their own offense late in a shot clock. It's just not their game.

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
It is a bad look for an NCAA tourney when the main reason a team is in the Sweet 16 is because of bad officiating. That being said, the one issue I had with Coach is on the final possession in OT we should have subbed out Kane and put in another shooter to force their big to decide whether to camp out and double hack Ashley or move her just enough to open up a better opportunity for Ashley. If she stays in double team hack defensive mode, then Ashley has an easier decision with a better outside offensive threat to pass to.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If people think the end of this game officiating was bad. Take a look at A&M first round game. Their opponent down three, am player catches the ball in the front court and dribbles in the front court, crosses over into the back court and then gets fouled a couple dribbles later with about 5 seconds left. No over and back with ref right there and coach screaming it at her, just a foul to send AM to the line.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Snydes

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Never understand why people just accept not following the rules and the refs allowing it. Might as well just have players call their own fouls then.

Last edited:

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I would say as a player you can take that energy and use it to drive you, as a fan all you do is stand there so how else do you use that energy.
You use that energy to cheer for the team/your kids. If something occurs that doesn't go in your favor, you restrain yourself from out bursting and causing a scene.

It's a skill that you can take with you into your profession. Every job will have a situation where something happens that you must adapt. You can either learn to adapt to make the best of the situation, or you can kick and scream.
Unfortunately that is him being him from everything I've heard and read. He got ejected from the Iowa game earlier this season before it even tipped off. You don't have to look much to find stories of his feuds with neighbors, neighboring businesses or animosity towards the Iowa staff. On the other hand the good news is you could look forever and not find a single negative about any of the daughters. Even people posting on the Iowa boards over the years about what an ******* he is usually preface it with complements that the daughters are awesome gals.
Thanks - didn't know anything about his history before now. I actually feel bad for the kids. I'm sure they don't appreciate having their dad act out this way, especially when it doesn't represent how they behave. I would be embarrassed myself anyway.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
He's got some real issues. Still can't believe someone with the poise and self-control like Ashley Joens has him for a father.

CF isn't helping this issue. There are obviously 2 parents in the family. Have to think about A & A's feelings as well. A & A are the ones wearing the ISU uniforms. I am glad that they chose to be Cyclones & the fans' " job" is to support them. Enough said.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Bill is not a good late game coach when he has a go to player. During the last 2-3 minutes of regulation Iowa State quit running their offense and creating open looks. There were 3 different occasion when A&M baited Iowa State into trying to isolate Joens and they all back fired. We have too many good shooters and ball handlers to play that way. Poor officiating aside, Bill put his team in a position to lose.

I think that is a little harsh - if Joens makes the shot or if (lol) they call one of the fouls, then the strategy is fine. Jimmy Chitwood said it best...

My nitpick would be, you know they will double team, and should have an idea of how/where the double will come from. Set up option B and option C so she can pass out of it if she is buried. I didn't really see that, although I haven't rewatched that sequence. Maybe it was there and she just couldn't or wouldn't get the pass off. IDK.

All I know for sure is, they made a bunch of mistakes, and they got jobbed by the refs. If either of those things don't happen, they are still playing...

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Having watched most of the 4Q and OT, officiating aside, they could not have thrown the game harder. Finally hit some scoring droughts and continued to have an absolutely horrendous number of turnovers. Just cutting the turnovers in half, all else equal, they easily win that game in reg. Lack of experienced ballhandling was evident.

That being said -- they're going to be better next year. Plenty of building blocks available.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Having watched most of the 4Q and OT, officiating aside, they could not have thrown the game harder. Finally hit some scoring droughts and continued to have an absolutely horrendous number of turnovers. Just cutting the turnovers in half, all else equal, they easily win that game in reg. Lack of experienced ballhandling was evident.

That being said -- they're going to be better next year. Plenty of building blocks available.

Was all about the unforced turnovers really. Lots of passes to no one.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think that is a little harsh - if Joens makes the shot or if (lol) they call one of the fouls, then the strategy is fine. Jimmy Chitwood said it best...

My nitpick would be, you know they will double team, and should have an idea of how/where the double will come from. Set up option B and option C so she can pass out of it if she is buried. I didn't really see that, although I haven't rewatched that sequence. Maybe it was there and she just couldn't or wouldn't get the pass off. IDK.

All I know for sure is, they made a bunch of mistakes, and they got jobbed by the refs. If either of those things don't happen, they are still playing...

I've watched plenty of ISU women's games this season and this strategy cost them multiple games. Hell, the most recent was Texas down in Kansas City. I love BF but he is too damn stubborn at times. This was an issue when Bridget Carleton was wearing the cardinal and gold as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Was all about the unforced turnovers really. Lots of passes to no one.

And dribbling into double teams. This squad is at it's best when they are popping the ball around. When they try to isolate the offense becomes way too forced.

Reactions: Snydes

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Here's the deal folks, getting it to Ashley down low was the proper call. They fouled her twice ont eh same play and if we had officials with any competence, we would have won that game, right then and there. No arguing with me at all about that. just stop your BS about Bill not knowing what to do in that situation. It worked perfectly and the officials FAILED!

When you have a practically unstoppable awesome player, you put them in the situations where they excel. He put her there, she did her thing and they stopped her by breaking the rules and getting away with it. Not our fault, its the systems fault.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here's the deal folks, getting it to Ashley down low was the proper call. They fouled her twice ont eh same play and if we had officials with any competence, we would have won that game, right then and there. No arguing with me at all about that. just stop your BS about Bill not knowing what to do in that situation. It worked perfectly and the officials FAILED!

When you have a practically unstoppable awesome player, you put them in the situations where they excel. He put her there, she did her thing and they stopped her by breaking the rules and getting away with it. Not our fault, its the systems fault.

I don't think the late-game execution complaints are about the last play. I think it's more the last 4 minutes. And to be fair, if you go back and look at game threads throughout the year it's been a pretty consistent issue.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
I wish someone had and would have made a YouTube clip of Charles Barkley saying “Iowa state got screwed” after the Ohio state game

Reactions: ISU71

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My hot take is yes, we should have played better and not allowed the refs to decide the game for us, but I wish people would stop using that fact as a reason to excuse bad officiating. Because the fact is we played well enough to have a lead that was taken away from us by bad officiating. It’s not like we were floundering all game and are using bad officiating to point fingers; we had a lead that was taken from us. When refs fail to call three separate and distinct fouls on one play and failing to call those fouls directly contributed to us losing a game that we had been winning over a team that was better than us, that’s not an “us” problem; that’s a “them” problem.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
CF isn't helping this issue. There are obviously 2 parents in the family. Have to think about A & A's feelings as well. A & A are the ones wearing the ISU uniforms. I am glad that they chose to be Cyclones & the fans' " job" is to support them. Enough said.

Her dad shouldn't be allowed to attend games if that is normal behavior from him. He's got some serious issues. His antics went national last night and it's an embarrassment. Would love it if she would just stop in the middle of a free throw and tell her dad to shut the #### up.