Women's March Madness: Cyclones vs Texas A&M 6 p.m. ESPN2

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Didn't watch the game last night but one of our clients is an Iowa fan and even he said he felt like that was the worst jobbing he's ever seen by an officiating crew.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and ISU71

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Didn't watch the game last night but one of our clients is an Iowa fan and even he said he felt like that was the worst jobbing he's ever seen by an officiating crew.
If it was one or two calls that would be one thing but it was like 6-7 game changing errors in the final 2 minutes of regulation and overtime well.....

Reactions: CYDJ and ISU71

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

If your player had split the defenders for an open layup, only to be hip checked and grabbed, causing her to fall down (with 3 seconds left in a tie game), and nothing was called, what would you think about that?

Reactions: ISU71

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Her dad shouldn't be allowed to attend games if that is normal behavior from him. He's got some serious issues. His antics went national last night and it's an embarrassment. Would love it if she would just stop in the middle of a free throw and tell her dad to shut the #### up.

By "national" do you mean that the tavern hoks are talking about it?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If your player had split the defenders for an open layup, only to be hip checked and grabbed, causing her to fall down (with 3 seconds left in a tie game), and nothing was called, what would you think about that?
He said he thought the no foul call was worse before that possession. He didn't watch overtime because he felt it was a foregone conclusion after the last two minutes.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't think the late-game execution complaints are about the last play. I think it's more the last 4 minutes. And to be fair, if you go back and look at game threads throughout the year it's been a pretty consistent issue.

Kinda parallels the 2012-13 men's team. Good enough to make the tournament, some big wins along the way, but lose several tight ones down the stretch, similar ending in Round of 32 game exacerbated by bogus officiating at the end.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Watching replay now ... some of ending was a blur the first time. Just got to the shot-clock violation at 1:15. Couldn't we have called timeout or something? (I realize this all has been discussed already).

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I don't think the late-game execution complaints are about the last play. I think it's more the last 4 minutes. And to be fair, if you go back and look at game threads throughout the year it's been a pretty consistent issue.

Oh I agree with some things of what you are saying. I watched every single women's game this year and had problems with the occasional mistakes, wrap around passes that go nowhere, dribbling INTO double teams (Ashley comes out of them with an amazing regularity), not being stronger with the ball and basically putting it in front of the D to simply grab and tie them up, not getting shots off and and not being unaware of 3,2, or 1 seconds on the shot clock and what you CAN/SHOULD do in that situation.

However, there were people complaining about making Ashley go down low and do her thing too much toward the end of the game. BUT, it worked when it counted and the fault for not catching the other team stopping her in a way that is completely against the rulebook is completely on the officials. That's all I was saying.

I realize that our team had 24 turnovers and made other mistakes during the game. They also did other things that kept them ahead of a #2 seed for ALMOST ALL OF THAT GAME despite those mistakes. Does TA&M deserve to lose the game because they sucked from the 3 point line? No, they made up for it in other areas, just like we did.

It comes down to the fact that we did not play well enough to overcome BOTH the other team and a set of officials who did not do their best work either. I'm sure it was not intentional on their part, but there were several blown calls throughout that game that certainly affected the outcome. Maybe they were worse for TA&M than us, but I really did not see it that way.

Reactions: statsaholic

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Oh I agree with some things of what you are saying. I watched every single women's game this year and had problems with the occasional mistakes, wrap around passes that go nowhere, dribbling INTO double teams (Ashley comes out of them with an amazing regularity), not being stronger with the ball and basically putting it in front of the D to simply grab and tie them up, not getting shots off and and not being unaware of 3,2, or 1 seconds on the shot clock and what you CAN/SHOULD do in that situation.

However, there were people complaining about making Ashley go down low and do her thing too much toward the end of the game. BUT, it worked when it counted and the fault for not catching the other team stopping her in a way that is completely against the rulebook is completely on the officials. That's all I was saying.

I realize that our team had 24 turnovers and made other mistakes during the game. They also did other things that kept them ahead of a #2 seed for ALMOST ALL OF THAT GAME despite those mistakes. Does TA&M deserve to lose the game because they sucked from the 3 point line? No, they made up for it in other areas, just like we did.

It comes down to the fact that we did not play well enough to overcome BOTH the other team and a set of officials who did not do their best work either. I'm sure it was not intentional on their part, but there were several blown calls throughout that game that certainly affected the outcome. Maybe they were worse for TA&M than us, but I really did not see it that way.

I think it's probably most easily described as us being a team that needs to be playing in transition and within the flow of the game to be successful. I don't think there's any doubt that forcing the ball to Ashley is the best strategy for this team. She's a great player and she's surrounded primarily be freshmen, so who else do you want to have the ball? But to me the issue becomes the tug-and-pull of the situation calling for running clock when that is not our game.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Coach Fennelly suppose to be on KXNO at 3:30 today for those that want to listen:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
By "national" do you mean that the tavern hoks are talking about it?

Not concerned with Iowa fans. No, I mean ESPN (national television) kept showing him throwing his hissy fits and you could hear him as well. The guy needs counseling.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The season ended in such heartbreaking fashion, but hey we got to move on and look on the bright side. I'm glad the coaching staff will get well-deserved days off and get to spend some quality time with their families, and I hope the players will soon. This video says it all.

TXHawk

Sep 19, 2011
Not concerned with Iowa fans. No, I mean ESPN (national television) kept showing him throwing his hissy fits and you could hear him as well. The guy needs counseling.
Glad for his girls ESPN stopped showing him act like that they don't deserve that regardless of the atrocious officiating. The discussion on Brian Joens is also in the game thread on a more national WBB forum, The Boneyard.

https://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/7-iowa-st-vs-2-texas-a-m-3-24-21.170328/

• Informative
Reactions: BoxsterCy

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I said a couple of times last night that ESPN needs to stop showing him. But what else could they do? They didn't do homework on anyone other than Ashley and had nothing else.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
They could have showed the replays of the fouls like they did when it was on the other end.
Yep, that was another thing I mentioned - show replays of us, not just A&M. And on the few they did, the announcers were zeroed in on what they saw as fouls/travels on us and not the actual infractions being reviewed ad nauseum for the other team.

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
Was all about the unforced turnovers really. Lots of passes to no one.
However my observation from the other side is this.. Even with all the turnovers, many sortof or directly unforced, ISU was in a position to win. You could say that A&M shot themselves in the foot with poor shooting and rebounding. I do think it does still come down to some questionable calls (or rather no-calls) toward the end. So the point on the turnovers is somewhat valid, but other factors are at play as well..

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Our WBB team has represented our school so well in the tournament and they have never complained about the NCAAW tournament's subpar treatment of female athletes, always shown appreciation for the service provided by the host site and the opportunity of playing in the tournament. I give you three exhibits.

1) You can read CBF's comment about "Weight Room Gate" in this post.

2) Ashley Joens even tweeted about how good the food is while players from other schools complain about it.

3) CBF is postgame interview is a pure class without any complaints about the officiating. You can watch the entire press conference (including Ashley's) on Cyclones.tv

https://cyclones.com/watch/?Archive=17994&category=5&type=Archive

However, I find it incredibly ironic and unbelievable that with all the positivity and appreciation ISU has shown to the NCAAW, they still jabbed us with this kind of BS officiating. Trust me NCAAW has a lot of casual fans last night. If NCAAW wants to advocate women's sports equality and grow women's sports, make sure you do the right things within women's sports first.

When a good program like ISU has done enough good things in the sport it participates in, it got to be rewarded the way it deserves. We deserve to be in the Sweet Sixteen this year. We don't want to wait for another year and who knows what will happen next time?

Of course, our program will continue doing things the right way and will never be converted to the dark side of complaining.

To NCAAW, please don't just keep silent pretending nothing has happened because ISU didn't complain. Please do the right things and give us WBB fans nationwide a proper response. An apology letter would be appreciated at least.