MLB: Who’s the greatest hitter of all time?

Who’s the greatest hitter of all time?

• Barry Bonds

• Babe Ruth

• Ted Williams

• Hank Aaron

• Tony Gwynn

• Ty Cobb

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If you include steroid users it's Barry Bonds and its not even ******* close. From about 2000 to 2006 nobody could ever duplicate that again. Had a slugging % of at or above .800 for 4 straight years. That isn't even right. I can't even put up numbers like that in a video game. 7 MVP's too and finished second in the voting twice.
And teams would rarely even pitch to him. I don’t watch a lot of baseball but did when he was in his final seasons. Every swing of the bat seemed like it was a home run or a foul home run. He’d finish a game 1 for 1 with a home run and 4 walks

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I voted for Tony Gwynn who was the best hitter I have ever seen in person.

Steroids or not, Barry Bonds is the most feared hitter I have ever seen in a game. When the strategy is to walk him all the time (even with nobody on base) instead of facing him at the plate, that says something.

Carew, Rose and Ichiro should have been on the list.

kcbob79clone

No doubt Cobb was one of the best, but you have to question numbers from a time when guys pitched 9 innings every day.

Same thing with Cy Young. Great numbers, but I don't know if you can really take them seriously.

True, but I also question stats when the baseball is livelier than when Ty Cobb played. Difficult to compare eras but the oldtimers do need to be taken seriously.

Reactions: Macloney

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
True, but I also question stats when the baseball is livelier than when Ty Cobb played. Difficult to compare eras but the oldtimers do need to be taken seriously.
If it was livelier, it would have been livelier for all playing in the Era. Cobb stood out in his Era.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Come on, man. Thomas had 9 seasons over .300 and Gwynn had 19. Gwynn had seasons of .351, .370, .368, .394, .353, .358 and .372.

These are serious averages for Major League hitters, like next level numbers.

Batting average tells the real tale of who the hitters are. I love the Big Hurt, but Tony Gwynn he is not.

You act like his career .301 batting average, for a power guy mind you, is terrible or something. Had a higher OBP, SLG, OPS and OPS+. These are things to sneeze at. They also a make a great hitter. I'm not saying saying Frank Thomas is the best hitter of all time, but he isn't some scrub, either.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No doubt Cobb was one of the best, but you have to question numbers from a time when guys pitched 9 innings every day.

Same thing with Cy Young. Great numbers, but I don't know if you can really take them seriously.
And also used balls that had been scratched, scuffed, and slightly damaged. Those hitters saw a lot of unintentional junk pitches due to balls not being traded out every 4-5 pitches.

Reactions: Macloney

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Without a doubt injuries kept him from owning the record books, but when you look at what Griffey did and then the seasons missed, he was without a doubt the best we have ever seen.

In most sports its hard to compare players from totally different eras. I tend to be one that thinks people like Ruth and Cobb would never produce the stats they did if they played in the modern game. How many times did either face 3 or 4 relievers all throwing the baseball upper 90's. Players like Ruth would never be able to swing as heavy as a bat as he used in the modern game.

Look at Nile Kinnick, he would not make the team today at 5"8' and 167 pounds, but he won the Heisman in the 30's. Just to totally different game was being played back then.

Could you imagine the great hitters like Griffey, Bonds, Trout, Gwynn, etc. going back and playing when Ruth and Williams played? They would hit like .500!!

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
You act like his career .301 batting average, for a power guy mind you, is terrible or something. Had a higher OBP, SLG, OPS and OPS+. These are things to sneeze at. They also a make a great hitter. I'm not saying saying Frank Thomas is the best hitter of all time, but he isn't some scrub, either.

I believe Frank is a true first ballot Hall of Famer without a doubt.

Best hitter and power hitter are two completely different things to me. Different eras, stats and opinions are what make conversations like this fun.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I believe Frank is a true first ballot Hall of Famer without a doubt.

Best hitter and power hitter are two completely different things to me. Different eras, stats and opinions are what make conversations like this fun.

I totally get that, but someone who hits over .300 for a 20 year career, even when his last 7 years he was under .300, sometimes significantly, that is impressive. He had seasons hitting .353, .349, and .347 while also hitting 38, 40, and 35 HR's. I'd say that is a pretty good hitter regardless of power.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Could you imagine the great hitters like Griffey, Bonds, Trout, Gwynn, etc. going back and playing when Ruth and Williams played? They would hit like .500!!

It is believed that the hardest throwing pitchers from the 1920's on have been in the low 90's. That wasn't consistent because of the higher amount of innings pitchers worked, but these dudes weren't scrubs or anything.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I totally get that, but someone who hits over .300 for a 20 year career, even when his last 7 years he was under .300, sometimes significantly, that is impressive. He had seasons hitting .353, .349, and .347 while also hitting 38, 40, and 35 HR's. I'd say that is a pretty good hitter regardless of power.

I just said I believed he was a 1st ballot guy. He wasn't a good hitter, he was great.

Tony Gwynn he is not.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
My favorite hitters to watch were

Daryl Strawberry
Ken Griffey Jr
Manny Ramirez
and Big Poppi.

All 4 had those sweet swings and power. Not the greatest of them all. However, I could put up a good argument that Griffey Jr is the greatest hitter of all time.