MLB: Who’s the greatest hitter of all time?

Who’s the greatest hitter of all time?

• Barry Bonds

• Babe Ruth

• Ted Williams

• Hank Aaron

• Tony Gwynn

• Ty Cobb

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
He was good before, but it is doubtful he would have broke Aaron’s or Marris’ (not debating McGuires) records without it.
That's the thing though. This is about the greatest hitter of all-time, not the greatest homerun hitter of all-time (which is what the steroids helped). I think Bonds would have hit just fine in previous era without steroids.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Rose shouldn’t be in the conversation. He gambled on games, allowed mobsters in the club house.
The at bat that broke his 44 game hot streak exposed how big of a jerk that he was. First, he opened the at bat by trying to lay down a bunt. Then he had a weak foul ball swing. Then he ended it with a feeble swing at a changeup. Instead of tipping his hat to Gene Garber for doing his job, he ripped him for not throwing him a fastball. Not the kind of sequence that puts you in the GOAT discussion.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think the opposite is true too, an extreme pull hitter like anthony rizzo I think has a significantly higher batting average 40 years ago due to all those outs into shifts being hits then.

Guys today get paid a lot to hit .260 and hit 40 homeruns- so they are OK to hit against a shift.

Go back a generation or two and even elite ballplayers would have tried to hit the other way to make defenses pay for being in a shift. There was something magic about hitting .300.

Game has just changed. Stolen bases are just about non-existent.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Williams or Bonds. Cobb was good from his stats but he also played in the early 1900s where pitchers were barely throwing in the 90s. Just like any sport, any of the great players now would dominate as they are now in the early part of the sport. Only a couple outliers exist over all time.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I think the opposite is true too, an extreme pull hitter like anthony rizzo I think has a significantly higher batting average 40 years ago due to all those outs into shifts being hits then.
You probably have a good point. I know I saw an article talking about this with Pujols, and the shifting having a major effect on his avg. No doubt, not having the shift would help a lot of today's hitters, but the truly great hitters can't be shifted on. Think a shift would work on Gwynn, or Ichiro, or Boggs, or Cobb?
Rizzo is actually exactly the example I would use of someone who wouldn't be able to do what he does in a previous era. He can't cover the outer half without practically standing on the plate, and there's no self respecting pitcher that would allow him to stand where he does in yesterday's game. He'd end up with cracked ribs or worse, and literally no one in the game would have felt sorry about it.

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
We're not talking about him as a person, just how good of a hitter he was. He should absolutely be in the conversation and you know it.
Why isn’t he in the Hall of Fame? He played more games, had more at bats and made more outs than any other player in the history of the game. Mr. Singles hitter.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Why isn’t he in the Hall of Fame? He played more games, had more at bats and made more outs than any other player in the history of the game. Mr. Singles hitter.

For off the field reasons. That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be included in best hitters ever conversation....Not really sure what you are getting at here.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Initially, I thought of Ted Williams, as did most of the poll responders. He did things no one will probably ever rival. Obviously, I never got to see a game back then. Was pitching close to comparable? How strict were official scorers, and was the official scoring system similar to today's?

Also, how often was the ball altered to increase interest and ticket sales? It seems to happen more often now than when I was younger, or maybe MLB is just more open about to greater affect attendance from year to year.

I was surprised to see George Brett left off that list. He was consistent for a number of years,

There are so many factors that you can consider in this that it could go on forever.

Ruth and Williams played shorter 154 game seasons.

Until 1968 only 2 teams made the postseason.

Players on better teams get more AB's because of the postseason opportunities. These stats count towards a players career numbers.

Home games at smaller ballparks.

It goes on and on.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
While Clemente and Brett are my personal favorites, I would nominate Rogers Hornsby. A .358 career with a .434 on-base percentage over a 23-year career, in 1924 he hit .424 with a .507 OBP. During one four-year span (1922-25) he hit over .400 three times.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There are so many factors that you can consider in this that it could go on forever.

Ruth and Williams played shorter 154 game seasons.

Until 1968 only 2 teams made the postseason.

Players on better teams get more AB's because of the postseason opportunities. These stats count towards a players career numbers.

Home games at smaller ballparks.

It goes on and on.
Most players back in that day had other jobs to pay the bills. They didn’t focus solely on baseball. Didn’t have the trainers and nutritionists. Medical field and physical therapists are so superior also. Too many variables, IMO to fully compare.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Most players back in that day had other jobs to pay the bills. They didn’t focus solely on baseball. Didn’t have the trainers and nutritionists. Medical field and physical therapists are so superior also. Too many variables, IMO to fully compare.
One thing I want to say about the old guys.

Hell, I cannot remember who played last year and most teams have a mystery line-up. If we are super familiar with a name from the olden days, there is a reason! We know the names Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, etc. because they were damn good! Nobody remembers Joe Shmoe (ode to Crash Davis).

Just sayin'

Reactions: BCClone

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
It could be said that anyone who played before the integration of the negro league should be discounted. How many good players did those old timey guys avoid because of racism in this country?

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Ichiro or Tony Gwinn for best overall hitters. For pure swing, it Ken Griffey Junior. Those would be my top 3.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron