If the B12 remains intact and moves forward

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Everyone talks about revenue being lost etc...and in a traditional Network contract it would definitely be less revenue.

This is why, with Oliver Luck in the fold now, that the new Big 12 is going to and has to go completely outside the box moving foward.

TV and promotion and revenue thru that are Oliver Luck specialty. XFL, WWE, Euro Soccer league.

I'd bet alot of $$ starting in 2025 we will be viewing BIg 12 games on PPV. Not all games. But I'd bet prob half on PPV and other half out for bid with a Network.

A8 wants to solve its revenue gap losing Tx and Ou then the Big 12 will go to PPV model.

Imagine say:

1) $20 a game
2) revenue split between the two teams
3) Even at 400k viewers for 1 game that is $4mil to a program for 1 game. 6 games= $24Mil.
4) Maybe $10 Mil per year per team for other half of the conference games on a Network.

Back in the 80's and 90's ABC did this all the time with a ton of regional games. ESPN Gameplan had this.

No commercials...Shorter games...Cut out the middle man (ESPN) half the games.

Essentially this is what these streaming services are doing now. ISU Tier 3 cyclone tv has done PPV games.

This could all be set up and done thru Tier 3 portion of the contract and all A8 schools already have the structure to do this. Doing PPV is 100x easier today than in 1985.

Why does WWE and Euro soccer do this today? because it makes a crap ton of $$$.

This is the way the Big 12 moves forward and maybe even ahead.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Everyone talks about revenue being lost etc...and in a traditional Network contract it would definitely be less revenue.

This is why, with Oliver Luck in the fold now, that the new Big 12 is going to and has to go completely outside the box moving foward.

TV and promotion and revenue thru that are Oliver Luck specialty. XFL, WWE, Euro Soccer league.

I'd bet alot of $$ starting in 2025 we will be viewing BIg 12 games on PPV. Not all games. But I'd bet prob half on PPV and other half out for bid with a Network.

A8 wants to solve its revenue gap losing Tx and Ou then the Big 12 will go to PPV model.

Imagine say:

1) $20 a game
3) Even at 400k viewers for 1 game that is $4mil to a program for 1 game. 6 games= $24Mil.
4) Maybe $10 Mil per year per team for other half of the conference games on a Network.

Back in the 80's and 90's ABC did this all the time with a ton of regional games. ESPN Gameplan had this.

Essentially this is what these streaming services are doing now. ISU Tier 3 cyclone tv has done PPV games.

This could all be set up and done thru Tier 3 portion of the contract and all A8 schools already have the structure to do this. Doing PPV is 100x easier today than in 1985.

I don’t foresee PPV being the move, but we will be thinking outside the box. If we go to Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Paramount, Peacock, one of them is likely to pay more than ESPN. We have already talked about Amazon buying Big 12 rights and serving targeted ads during games.

The Big 12’s one advantage moving into new media rights is it doesn’t have a conference network so it can go in on streaming in a way the other power leagues cannot.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

Imagine say:

1) $20 a game

I like that thinking, but as I posted earlier (and upon further reflection I'm liking it even more) is that the A8 as-is is the perfect opportunity for Amazon to enter the market. Amazon has the clout to schedule very strong OOC games for the A8. Enough so that the A8 becomes the measuring stick for CFP selections. The strength of schedule alone scheduling top tier games from other conferences will lend credibility to the A8. Large conferences do not favor this model. So, again, perfect for both Amazon and A8. I, certainly, don't need to go into the major bucks for Amazon. But, it will certainly and immediately balance the scale for the Amazon-8.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Imagine say:

1) $20 a game

You think 400,000 viewers are going to pay $20 to watch ISU v. KSU on TV?

• Dumb

cyanide

Apr 21, 2006
Amazon is doing a ton of construction in the Des Moines area. When their executives come to inspect the progress, they are getting first hand exposure to teh Cyclone erruption.

• Informative
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Question about Cincinnati and WVU. Most people I know say we should take cinci to give WVU a more local opponent. However the infamous TheDudeofWV suggests WVU would try to block adding Cinci. What is the reason? It's not like they're in the same state like Houston is to Bay, TCU, tech. Wouldn't think Cinci would hurt their recruiting.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah that’s a real heavy lift. On one hand when you’ve got games on channels other than ABC, ESPN and Fox you are mostly dependent on fans of those teams and lose a bulk of the casually interested fan. The 2019 version of that game on FS1 had 642k viewers.

On the other hand, shelling out $20 per game is a WHOLE different level of fan. Now I shell out plenty for sling to basically ensure I can watch ISU events. But I’m a guy on an ISU message board.

The mode of delivering the revenue may change from traditional media to streaming, but that revenue seems Like it is going to be ad-heavy. There will be a subscription type component, but I am skeptical a pure PPV would be workable.

Maybe games like vs KSU,OSU and WVU you could raise decent revenue on a PPV basis, but there are going to be some dogs in there that don’t sell much at all.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
That's low balling it I'd say, but price points are touchy things. Perhaps you drop the price and bring in a much wider audience...this is where marketing and sales expertise come in. For the more avid fanbases like ISU and KSU, you create a season pass (a lower price point to watch just your team's games, a little higher one to have access to all Big 12 games) akin to the NFL ticket in which all games are covered in a seasonal payment plus...perhaps...throw in free Amazon Prime status to sweeten the pot.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
It’s really funny to watch the people that have been saying Iowa State and the remaining schools don’t add any value to conference tv packages try to pivot to Amazon will pay them

you really can’t make this up.

Amazon and the rest aren’t going to overpay for product that has been deemed to have a low value. They may throw some dollars out to get ready to try to hook one of the conferences that would matter to their bottom line, but Iowa state’s ad isn’t all of a sudden going to get 30 million from them, even if they turn Ames into an Amazon billboard.

The pay per view thing is maybe the most ridiculous and desperate attempt so far at trying to push some ridiculous narrative.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah that’s a real heavy lift. On one hand when you’ve got games on channels other than ABC, ESPN and Fox you are mostly dependent on fans of those teams and lose a bulk of the casually interested fan. The 2019 version of that game on FS1 had 642k viewers.

On the other hand, shelling out $20 per game is a WHOLE different level of fan. Now I shell out plenty for sling to basically ensure I can watch ISU events. But I’m a guy on an ISU message board.

The mode of delivering the revenue may change from traditional media to streaming, but that revenue seems Like it is going to be ad-heavy. There will be a subscription type component, but I am skeptical a pure PPV would be workable.

Maybe games like vs KSU,OSU and WVU you could raise decent revenue on a PPV basis, but there are going to be some dogs in there that don’t sell much at all.

Yeah 400k seems awfully high. That'd mean nearly one out of every three U.S. viewers who bought UFC 264 would throw in for a Big 12 conference game.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
On some level the equation goes like this.

Better football equals viewers and revenue. Of course, there's other factors at play but at a base level that's THE most important factor as television moves from a "big markets" valuation to a model in which good matchups draw more eyeballs.

In such a model, the new Big 12 we're discussing would be one that plays at a consistent level ABOVE the Pac and ACC...and very similar to the B1G. This year, for example: Two top ten teams....a couple more in the 25 or on the verge...a few more capable of breaking up to that level...one or two that get beat up. Those are BETTER ratios then what the B1G offers. The B1G has FIVE programs performing at or just above a KU level...without the great basketball....(Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska)...so their bottom level is horrific. They really only have one "elite" program in terms of performance (OSU) followed by 3-4 very good programs (Wiscy, Michigan, Penn State that can sometimes rise up to Top 10) level play and a few more somewhere in between (Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern. Indiana).

So when it comes to great matchups and quality of play, this new Big 12 would be right there with everyone not named the SEC.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Question about Cincinnati and WVU. Most people I know say we should take cinci to give WVU a more local opponent. However the infamous TheDudeofWV suggests WVU would try to block adding Cinci. What is the reason? It's not like they're in the same state like Houston is to Bay, TCU, tech. Wouldn't think Cinci would hurt their recruiting.
Because the dude is and idiot.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
It’s really funny to watch the people that have been saying Iowa State and the remaining schools don’t add any value to conference tv packages try to pivot to Amazon will pay them

you really can’t make this up.

Amazon and the rest aren’t going to overpay for product that has been deemed to have a low value. They may throw some dollars out to get ready to try to hook one of the conferences that would matter to their bottom line, but Iowa state’s ad isn’t all of a sudden going to get 30 million from them, even if they turn Ames into an Amazon billboard.

The pay per view thing is maybe the most ridiculous and desperate attempt so far at trying to push some ridiculous narrative.

First, please take the fake "Cyclones" out of your title and just put "Hawkeyes" there...we all know you're an Iowa fan and your weak effort at subterfuging that saps any credibility you might otherwise have.

Second, your point seems to be some sad effort to proclaim the demotion of Iowa State football to a non-P5 level. Well, you're going to be very disappointed. Yes, we may in the end take a loss in revenue in the 5-10 million range. No, we will not cease to be P5 nor will the Iowa matchup every year be in Iowa City...and neither will the series come to an end any time soon. So these things you're hoping for, are simply not going to happen and the only one struggling with reality here is yourself. This IS a tough time for ISU and its fans...and its pretty sad that any Iowan would take the kind of joy in that which you and Gonzo do.

There are still many potentialities here for Iowa State...ranging from entry into another P5 conference to rebuilding the Big 12 and ensuring it stays P5. Rest assured, the WORST case scenario is adding a couple teams like Cinci and BYU and the P5 train rolls on with a little less revenue.

• Dumb

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
On some level the equation goes like this.

Better football equals viewers and revenue. Of course, there's other factors at play but at a base level that's THE most important factor as television moves from a "big markets" valuation to a model in which good matchups draw more eyeballs.

In such a model, the new Big 12 we're discussing would be one that plays at a consistent level ABOVE the Pac and ACC...and very similar to the B1G. This year, for example: Two top ten teams....a couple more in the 25 or on the verge...a few more capable of breaking up to that level...one or two that get beat up. Those are BETTER ratios then what the B1G offers. The B1G has FIVE programs performing at or just above a KU level...without the great basketball....(Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska)...so their bottom level is horrific. They really only have one "elite" program in terms of performance (OSU) followed by 3-4 very good programs (Wiscy, Michigan, Penn State that can sometimes rise up to Top 10) level play and a few more somewhere in between (Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern. Indiana).

So when it comes to great matchups and quality of play, this new Big 12 would be right there with everyone not named the SEC.
The big difference is at least right now even if Michigan, PSU and Wisconsin have bad years like last year they still draw viewers. Nebraska sucks and still get pretty good viewership.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
First, please take the fake "Cyclones" out of your title and just put "Hawkeyes" there...we all know you're an Iowa fan and your weak effort at subterfuging that saps any credibility you might otherwise have.

Second, your point seems to be some sad effort to proclaim the demotion of Iowa State football to a non-P5 level. Well, you're going to be very disappointed. Yes, we may in the end take a loss in revenue in the 5-10 million range. No, we will not cease to be P5 nor will the Iowa matchup every year be in Iowa City...and neither will the series come to an end any time soon. So these things you're hoping for, are simply not going to happen and the only one struggling with reality here is yourself. This IS a tough time for ISU and its fans...and its pretty sad that any Iowan would take the kind of joy in that which you and Gonzo do.

There are still many potentialities here for Iowa State...ranging from entry into another P5 conference to rebuilding the Big 12 and ensuring it stays P5. Rest assured, the WORST case scenario is adding a couple teams like Cinci and BYU and the P5 train rolls on with a little less revenue.

You're taking this stuff pretty personally. I don't want to see ISU relegated to a G5 level conference. I like that our little state has two strong P5 athletic universities, I don't like seeing 2,000-3,000 people lose their jobs in Ames, and my daughter loves the big game atmosphere up there and my younger daughter may be in Ames in a few years as well and I want the same thing for her. If my posts presenting a simple reality check on a lot of this stuff hurts your feelies, sorry I guess.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah 400k seems awfully high. That'd mean nearly one out of every three U.S. viewers who bought UFC 264 would throw in for a Big 12 conference game.

I say a different direction would be ideal. You sell a $100 per season package for the B12. You tier 1 your top 2 games each week to pull 10-12 MM from the old school media sources. Then place the remaining 4 games (ones not picked up that way viewers have to get the package because they don’t know who will be where at any time) on the package. If each school can hook 10,000 subscribers, say we go to 12, that would be 12 MM for football. Now do the same for BB and you probably can gain at least half that. Now you have popped 30 MM in media rights which is where we are now basically.