TURNER A NO GO (Official)

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Anyone consider the possibility that Turner Gill wants to stay in Buffalo and take them a step further?

And what would that next step be for Buffalo? He won a conf. champ. there, that's pretty much as good as it gets at UB. Even if they were undefeated, there's virtually no chance of ever making a BCS game.

I would love to have Turner Gill, but I think he knows what 'firmly entrenched' means! :smile:

I keep reading things about how much he loves Buffalo, his family loves it there, he loves the school, etc. So if that's true, why did he just interview for 2 different jobs this month? Doesn't really sound like someone who's "firmly entrenched" to me.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Wow, what a piece of work. How dare he turn down Iowa State!!! :rolleyes5cz: You'd be better off without him?? So this guy, puts his team, his promise to these kids, ahead of money.....and you'd be better off without him?? It's obvious you know zero about Turner as a person. He's not looking for a payday. He's very spiritual, and true to his word. If God/his heart tells him Buffalo is where he should be right now...that's where he'll be. And money wouldn't change that. He's got class and loyalty. You'd be lucky to get someone like that.

If you go back and read my posts you'll see that I wanted Turner Gill. So yes, sour grapes I know. But do you really believe he is going to stay at Buffalo long-term (more than one year)? ISU is the only BCS job available right now, and he's basically telling us that it's not good enough for him. As CarolinaCy pointed out, he already interviewed at Syracuse and Auburn. I don't question his class and loyalty as much as I question his judgment. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him to provide financial security for his family. If for some reason Buffalo goes into the tank next year, he may never get that chance again. I don't expect that to happen, but there's always that chance. If he came to ISU, I believe he would get a minimum of 4 years at $1.5 million per year. And if he was successful here, I'm sure we'd find a way to pay him the same kind of money Kirk Ferentz is making now.

I think Turner Gill could have made a great coach at ISU. He seems to be the kind of coach who can get the most out of his players. Furthermore I don't think he had much to lose by coming to ISU, and that's why I question his judgment. Sorry if it rubs you the wrong way.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Dont get me started on your opinions. Is Gameday still coming to Ames?
And actually, I never said anything about my opinion of what he had to say. For what its worth, I could care less, Im tired of the one and done posters.

oh ****!! I forgot about his gameday ****. Good call. Where was game day in ames anyway? haha

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Honestly, I really admire Gill for staying put. Maybe he would have taken the Auburn job, maybe not. Non the less, I'd be a little concerned of the guy who was willing to rush out for a better paycheck. I think he probably feels he did his rebuilding job. Might as well wait for the next big job rather than jump ship. I wish we'd have hired him two years ago.

Spider

Dec 16, 2008
If you go back and read my posts you'll see that I wanted Turner Gill. So yes, sour grapes I know. But do you really believe he is going to stay at Buffalo long-term (more than one year)?

I never said you didn't want him. I can't say what Gill's long term plans are. Logically speaking, I don't think Buffalo is is dream job and he probably won't stay there forever. But he'll stay there as long as his heart tells him to.

ISU is the only BCS job available right now, and he's basically telling us that it's not good enough for him.

First, If we believe the media he was never contacted by ISU for the job. So he wasn't telling you anything. And assuming that's a smokescreen, why do you have to take it personal? Why does he have to be saying "I'm too good for you." Why can't it be as simple as it didn't feel like the right fit for him....or that he wasn't quite ready to leave Buffalo yet. There are hundreds of reasons why he "may" have declined ISU...assuming he even had the chance.

As CarolinaCy pointed out, he already interviewed at Syracuse and Auburn.

There's nothing wrong with seeing what's out there and what opportunities are available. Gives you a chance to do some soul searching, let's you know what people are looking for.

I don't question his class and loyalty as much as I question his judgment. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him to provide financial security for his family. If for some reason Buffalo goes into the tank next year, he may never get that chance again. I don't expect that to happen, but there's always that chance. If he came to ISU, I believe he would get a minimum of 4 years at $1.5 million per year. And if he was successful here, I'm sure we'd find a way to pay him the same kind of money Kirk Ferentz is making now.

6 of one, half a dozen of another. ISU is going to be a tough job to get going. The Big12 is tough and doesn't look like it's getting any easier any time soon. Who knows that he'd do better here. Maybe he'd tank it coming here...and his stock would drop. But staying put at Buffalo gives him a chance to show he's loyal, keeps his promises, puts his team and the kids first. And if he has a good year or better next year...his stock goes up even more. Maybe he saw an opportunity for greater success and greater purpose at Buffalo. I don't see that as a bad thing or a lapse in judgement in any way. He's obviously loved at Buffalo right now...genuinely...that's not easy to come by...and can be hard to leave behind.

His family isn't hurting for money. Is more always good...sure. But should that be the top reason for going anywhere? I wouldn't want a coach that does that...you really do? So he comes to ISU due to a hefty paycheck and then leaves the following year because someone offers him more money somewhere else...that'd be OK with you? He'd just be trying to financially secure his family even more! It seems there are alot of people with their panties in a bunch because of what GC did here...which is basically what you want Gill to do to Buffalo. So I don't understand why people would vilify someone for doing one thing, then ask someone else to do it cause it then benefits you. Seems hypocritical to me.

I think Turner Gill could have made a great coach at ISU. He seems to be the kind of coach who can get the most out of his players. Furthermore I don't think he had much to lose by coming to ISU, and that's why I question his judgment. Sorry if it rubs you the wrong way.

I agree, Gill would have made a great coach and obviously gets his players pumped up. But, and I hate to say it, I don't think the rest of the nation sees ISU as a Premier job. Sorry. Is it the worst job in the nation, of course not...but it's far from the top. Nothing rubs me the wrong way....it just doesn't make sense to me. Again, everyone is pissy with what GC did. He made promises to the team, the fans, his staff....that he would be back. Then turns around and leaves. Gill has done the same thing with Buffalo...but for some reason you think it'd be OK for him to do it....that a coach that turns his back on his team for a paycheck is a "good" thing? I don't get that. And maybe that's where our opinions are different.

Last edited:

PromoTheRobot

Dec 17, 2008
Hi. Buffalo Bulls fan here. I can't believe some of the things I've read in this post about Turner Gill, so I decided to set you guys straight.

1) Gill and his family like Buffalo...Yes it's hard to believe, but Turner Gill and his family love the Buffalo area. He loves coaching at the only D1 school with a black basketball HC, black AD, and black female asst. AD. FYI: The State University of New York at Buffalo is just as big as ISU. (27,000+ enrollment) It's New York's largest state school. It may be a mid-major today but it is building up to joining a BCS conference like the Big East someday soon. That's one reason why they want to keep Gill.

2) Gill is a very religious and devoted family man...We are all used to coaches who are just looking for their next fat paycheck. That is not Turner Gill. Anyone who says a big check will lure Gill doesn't know what he's talking about. First of all, Turner has kids in school and he does not want to drag them around from job-to-job. If he makes any move, it will be for that one and only dream job, like Nebraska or a Texas school. (his home state)

3) Gill's success is not a fluke...Some posts suggest that Gill is "blowing it" by staying at Buffalo, as if what he did this year was some sort of miracle. If that's the case, then why would you want him coaching at ISU? The fact is Gill is that rare coach that knows how to make players play better. He took mostly kids that went 1-10 and turned them into conference champs in 3 years. In the meantime he has been able to recruit kids from Florida and Texas to play at Buffalo. UB is not going away and Gill's reputation will only climb higher.

4) You are in Ames freakin' Iowa...I have to laugh when you guys make snarky comments about Buffalo as if Ames, Iowa is South Beach Miami or something. Buffalo is a major metro of 1.2 million. We have NFL and NHL teams. You guys are Siberia lite!

Thanks for your interest in our coach. Good luck with your search and be sure to watch Buffalo in the International Bowl Jan 3 on ESPN2.

PTR

Spider

Dec 16, 2008
1) Gill and his family like Buffalo...Yes it's hard to believe, but Turner Gill and his family love the Buffalo area. He loves coaching at the only D1 school with a black basketball HC, black AD, and black female asst. AD. FYI: The State University of New York at Buffalo is just as big as ISU. (27,000+ enrollment) It's New York's largest state school. It may be a mid-major today but it is building up to joining a BCS conference like the Big East someday soon. That's one reason why they want to keep Gill.

2) Gill is a very religious and devoted family man...We are all used to coaches who are just looking for their next fat paycheck. That is not Turner Gill. Anyone who says a big check will lure Gill doesn't know what he's talking about. First of all, Turner has kids in school and he does not want to drag them around from job-to-job. If he makes any move, it will be for that one and only dream job, like Nebraska or a Texas school. (his home state)

:yes::yes: Good post.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I never said you didn't want him. I can't say what Gill's long term plans are. Logically speaking, I don't think Buffalo is is dream job and he probably won't stay there forever. But he'll stay there as long as his heart tells him to.

First, If we believe the media he was never contacted by ISU for the job. So he wasn't telling you anything. And assuming that's a smokescreen, why do you have to take it personal? Why does he have to be saying "I'm too good for you." Why can't it be as simple as it didn't feel like the right fit for him....or that he wasn't quite ready to leave Buffalo yet. There are hundreds of reasons why he "may" have declined ISU...assuming he even had the chance.

There's nothing wrong with seeing what's out there and what opportunities are available. Gives you a chance to do some soul searching, let's you know what people are looking for.

6 of one, half a dozen of another. ISU is going to be a tough job to get going. The Big12 is tough and doesn't look like it's getting any easier any time soon. Who knows that he'd do better here. Maybe he'd tank it coming here...and his stock would drop. But staying put at Buffalo gives him a chance to show he's loyal, keeps his promises, puts his team and the kids first. And if he has a good year or better next year...his stock goes up even more. Maybe he saw an opportunity for greater success and greater purpose at Buffalo. I don't see that as a bad thing or a lapse in judgement in any way. He's obviously loved at Buffalo right now...genuinely...that's not easy to come by...and can be hard to leave behind.

His family isn't hurting for money. Is more always good...sure. But should that be the top reason for going anywhere? I wouldn't want a coach that does that...you really do? So he comes to ISU due to a hefty paycheck and then leaves the following year because someone offers him more money somewhere else...that'd be OK with you? He'd just be trying to financially secure his family even more! It seems there are alot of people with their panties in a bunch because of what GC did here...which is basically what you want Gill to do to Buffalo. So I don't understand why people would vilify someone for doing one thing, then ask someone else to do it cause it then benefits you. Seems hypocritical to me.

I agree, Gill would have made a great coach and obviously gets his players pumped up. But, and I hate to say it, I don't think the rest of the nation sees ISU as a Premier job. Sorry. Is it the worst job in the nation, of course not...but it's far from the top. Nothing rubs me the wrong way....it just doesn't make sense to me. Again, everyone is pissy with what GC did. He made promises to the team, the fans, his staff....that he would be back. Then turns around and leaves. Gill has done the same thing with Buffalo...but for some reason you think it'd be OK for him to do it....that a coach that turns his back on his team for a paycheck is a "good" thing? I don't get that. And maybe that's where our opinions are different.

I love dialogue and debate above silly rivalry banter and it is really this reason that I go to these boards. I enjoy sports but mostly I just enjoy debating with people and those that make lucid points and use good logic impress me. This post by you was fantastic. Well conceived and friendly all at the same time. Good work

Chad

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hi. Buffalo Bulls fan here. I can't believe some of the things I've read in this post about Turner Gill, so I decided to set you guys straight.

3) Gill's success is not a fluke...Some posts suggest that Gill is "blowing it" by staying at Buffalo, as if what he did this year was some sort of miracle. If that's the case, then why would you want him coaching at ISU? The fact is Gill is that rare coach that knows how to make players play better. He took mostly kids that went 1-10 and turned them into conference champs in 3 years. In the meantime he has been able to recruit kids from Florida and Texas to play at Buffalo. UB is not going away and Gill's reputation will only climb higher.

4) You are in Ames freakin' Iowa...I have to laugh when you guys make snarky comments about Buffalo as if Ames, Iowa is South Beach Miami or something. Buffalo is a major metro of 1.2 million. We have NFL and NHL teams. You guys are Siberia lite!

Thanks for your interest in our coach. Good luck with your search and be sure to watch Buffalo in the International Bowl Jan 3 on ESPN2.

PTR

That was a great post until #4. Then it was just lame.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il

PTR

You know there are actually several really good, friendly posters over here so you'll have to forgive the others. I will tell you something you'll find ironic. Most ISU fans (especially the variety that have frustrated you) hate to feel like Iowa or any other team for that matter may be looking down their nose at them. In fact I gather they feel like if Gill turned them down he was. And yet those you rebutted did just that. I wouldn't however take it personally. They are hurting and rightfully so. I don't blame them for wanting too feel validated and it is understandable. Frankly a couple years ago it was ND feeling slighted or jilted so honestly it could be any of us. No one really knows what does or doesn't make the "right" job for each individual and although Syracuse may have been it's easy to see why ISU may not have been.

Incidentally it is very nice to hear about Coach Gill's Faith. That is infinitely more important than being a good football coach.

Chad

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
I never understood what was/is so great about Turner Gill. Keep perspective everyone: after two years he had exactly two more wins at Buffalo that GC did at ISU in two years. His overall record is still 15-22. Without a few lucky breaks, his team this year easily could've lost 3-4 more games. They even lost to Kent State at home this year- a Kent State team we beat this year by 20.

I'm sure he's a fine coach, but he ain't that special-his record speaks for itself.

PromoTheRobot

Dec 17, 2008
I never understood what was/is so great about Turner Gill. Keep perspective everyone: after two years he had exactly two more wins at Buffalo that GC did at ISU in two years. His overall record is still 15-22. Without a few lucky breaks, his team this year easily could've lost 3-4 more games. They even lost to Kent State at home this year- a Kent State team we beat this year by 20.

I'm sure he's a fine coach, but he ain't that special-his record speaks for itself.

A little perspective: The loss to KSU came after the 20pt 4Q rally at BGSU that clinched the MAC East. It's understandable there would be a let down. And even then Buffalo got the ball to the KSU 1yd line in the last minute but the WR fumbled trying to get to the end zone.

But one week later we took out undefeated and 12th ranked Ball State, making us MAC champs, so what did the KSU game matter?

You can tear down UB's rallies and OT wins if you want but the point is Buffalo came out on top when those games were on the line. Is that a bad thing? By the way, that is all a reflection of Coach Gill. He's no different at the start of the game or in the 4th OT. Calm, cool, collected, and in control.

PTR

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
That was a great post until #4. Then it was just lame.

Yeah, but he has a point. There were people who were making fun of Buffalo--as if Ames is any better? Those people need to find some perspective.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron