"I Will" Chant

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I’m not a fan of the this side that side chants. Cyclone power is my least favorite chant.
Problem being that we don’t do any other chants. It’s been a long time since I heard a full throated “Let’s Go State” around the stadium (or Hilton for that matter).

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Problem being that we don’t do any other chants. It’s been a long time since I heard a full throated “Let’s Go State” around the stadium (or Hilton for that matter).

Some loud ones at Jerry World last December even in limited attendance. I really want to get back there with a full crowd.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I'm bumping this post because I still think this could be a very powerful chant, a very moving moment and a very unique tradition.

I think that it is fair to say that most of us, especially the players, thought this year could be something different than what played out in the first 5 weeks. But the past is what it is and we still have a lot to play for and a tough hill to climb to get there. With that said, I think this team proved in Manhattan that they have the talent, the heart and the WILL to make this year one to remember for all times.

It gives me chills to think about the chant "I"......"WILL" pouring down on these young men on Saturday. Jack Trice's legacy is cemented in our hearts, our team and our university and I can't think of anything more epic than this.
Am guessing tv networks will pick up on it.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Was it ever special?
The beer? Maybe. The marketing, sure. But considering what we know about beer now, Miller Lite is barely more than flavored water with a bit of alcohol.

But the commercials in the 70s and 80s were enough to define the brand and make those chants common at colleges throughout America.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I like the idea of I…. Will

Count me in.

I also like Cyclone Power.

We need a few more traditions. We actually have a reason to be excited and cheer. That wasn’t the case much prior to CMC.

Reactions: CyStalker

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
The beer? Maybe. The marketing, sure. But considering what we know about beer now, Miller Lite is barely more than flavored water with a bit of alcohol.

But the commercials in the 70s and 80s were enough to define the brand and make those chants common at colleges throughout America.
It was always an ironic chant. Does it being archaic add to the irony?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I like it but only if Jeff Johnson comes out to midfield to teach the fans how to chant. Just like the old days.
Remember the
CY-CL-ON-ES CYCLONES CYCLONES GO STATE!!
Chant? That was one of the more embarrassing things to ever happen.

Jeff is awesome, great Cyclone, but those were weird times. We were really making a conscious effort to upgrade the game experience and flailing miserably. I was a freshman in 2005, and I remember Mac telling the students before the first game we were going to do Jump Around like Wisconsin. You could tell that day it was going to be a flop.

But yes, nothing like those JJ pregame chants. Whew, we’ve come a long way.

• Haha
Reactions: AirWalke

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Jeff is awesome, great Cyclone, but those were weird times. We were really making a conscious effort to upgrade the game experience and flailing miserably. I was a freshman in 2005, and I remember Mac telling the students before the first game we were going to do Jump Around like Wisconsin. You could tell that day it was going to be a flop.

But yes, nothing like those JJ pregame chants. Whew, we’ve come a long way.

Turns out winning is the best way to juice the atmosphere. Weird.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
I think it would sound really muddled really fast if you alternated single syllable words. Unless one side said “I will” and the other side followed with “I will”.

Could be echoing "I Will"s or could be something like "Trice said" "I will". Seems like students, who championed the stadium name change to Trice for decades, would get behind that chant.