John Deere strike imminent?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Well a big part of that is just efficiencies and stuff within factories. JD especially makes a LOT of equipment they ship all over the world. Those big ol' cotton pickers they make in Ankeny basically all get shipped to China.

50% of Deere's business is outside US/CA. They have some manufacturing in other countries but most of it is still made here, especially the big ticket items.

Volume wise most of Deere’s products are made outside the US. The high dollar large tractors and Combines and large engines are made here. But most of the high volume small/midsize tractors are produced outside the US. For engines, Mexico and France both produce more than are made in the US.

jmax71

Oct 21, 2006
Volume wise most of Deere’s products are made outside the US. The high dollar large tractors and Combines and large engines are made here. But most of the high volume small/midsize tractors are produced outside the US. For engines, Mexico and France both produce more than are made in the US.
Deere has many manufacturing facilities around the world but mostly to manufacture product that meets various customer demand and match what the different countries needs are. Most of the products manufactured in Iowa or Illinois are sold here in the US. Some machines are for export but overwhelmingly sold here.
Machines made overseas are built to comply with different countries size restrictions, tier levels etc.

Reactions: ripvdub

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Deere has many manufacturing facilities around the world but mostly to manufacture product that meets various customer demand and match what the different countries needs are. Most of the products manufactured in Iowa or Illinois are sold here in the US. Some machines are for export but overwhelmingly sold here.
Machines made overseas are built to comply with different countries size restrictions, tier levels etc.

yep., been to the zweibrucken harvester plant in Germany. EU combines/SPFHs are top of the line super safety regulated... harvesters going to russia...... LOL

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Any thoughts out there on the latest contract release?
From what I can tell it’s the equivalent of another 5% raise. No idea if it’ll pass though. There’s a pretty vocal group holding out to get their health care funded into retirement like the old guys have.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
From what I can tell it’s the equivalent of another 5% raise. No idea if it’ll pass though. There’s a pretty vocal group holding out to get their health care funded into retirement like the old guys have.

Do they understand it’s equally likely that Deere will move production to the moon? And that it might cost less?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Do they understand it’s equally likely that Deere will move production to the moon? And that it might cost less?

I don't think they do. Maybe JD just needs to give a proposal with healthcare through retirement but with an offsetting drop in wages to pay for it. Just to see how much they really want that.

Based on comments about the first TA and how healthcare wasn't changed, I don't think they understand that 'no change' was actually a huge increase in benefits as the cost of that insurance has increased significantly.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Excessive CEO pay leads to excessive salaries of lower management.

GM employed 400,000 workers in 1970. In 2020, GM had 155,000 employees. I thought companies employed more people today.
Where are you getting this idea that CEO pay impacts lower management salaries? I worked for three companies. CEOs came and went, which came with wild swings in CEO pay. It had zero impact on mid- and lower management pay.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Are John Deere tractors far superior to either Case or New Holland? I don't really know much about the equipment and I've always wondered. I once had a farmer tell that when you buy Deere, your just paying for the color of the paint. I should have asked him why he felt that way but didn't.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Are John Deere tractors far superior to either Case or New Holland? I don't really know much about the equipment and I've always wondered. I once had a farmer tell that when you buy Deere, your just paying for the color of the paint. I should have asked him why he felt that way but didn't.
Maybe the old 4010's(damn fine machine) and stuff from the 60s. New tractors are new tractors to me. Just buying a name these days.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Red and green are comparable. The blue is more in line with buhler, Duetz, massey level stuff. Just more basic machines IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Any thoughts out there on the latest contract release?

I think it passes, lot of the union guys who aren’t hard no’s seem ready to get back to work. Some of these guys were voting no before even seeing the previous offer. They are staggering voting in Waterloo too, alphabetically. Last time there were people speaking out to the crowd before the vote, rallying them to vote no. Not having the assembly before hand probably swings more yes votes.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Deere and Case have the best dealer networks so parts and service are the best there, which drives a lot of their sales. We have a good local AgCo and New Holland dealer so we aren’t afraid of any color but in some places of the state dealer support for the “off-brands” is hit and miss.

I think pretty much any tractor made in the last 10-15 years is solid.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Off the record and just between you and I (no one else on this board read this next part). The IRS has no idea what the original basis in said land is. I could sell it for $8500 an acre and put the basis down at whatever I wanted. And because this is a low risk area to the IRS it probably would never get looked at.

Others may continue reading now -

GO CYCLONES
When I was in the bank I could go through records and find any purchase or will document (which declared the value at that time) price of any ground I wanted to. That was old school cards and big books in the recorders office back then. Much easier now with the internet, can zip up the price within minutes.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Deere and Case have the best dealer networks so parts and service are the best there, which drives a lot of their sales. We have a good local AgCo and New Holland dealer so we aren’t afraid of any color but in some places of the state dealer support for the “off-brands” is hit and miss.

I think pretty much any tractor made in the last 10-15 years is solid.

Is the price difference much between the big 3?