John Deere strike imminent?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Deere and Case have the best dealer networks so parts and service are the best there, which drives a lot of their sales. We have a good local AgCo and New Holland dealer so we aren’t afraid of any color but in some places of the state dealer support for the “off-brands” is hit and miss.

I think pretty much any tractor made in the last 10-15 years is solid.
I see a lot more New Holland combines down in SW Iowa when I go back than I ever have before. I used to help a farmer years ago and had to drive to the Nebraska line or Maryville, MO for AGCO stuff a lot.

Reactions: DeereClone

Frog

May 6, 2021
Are John Deere tractors far superior to either Case or New Holland? I don't really know much about the equipment and I've always wondered. I once had a farmer tell that when you buy Deere, your just paying for the color of the paint. I should have asked him why he felt that way but didn't.
No they are not, Planters and combines are where it is at with Deere IMO. Having said that I have no Deere equipment. My GG did, my grandfather didn't, my dad did and I don't. I had problems with a new Deere planter and had run in with implement dealer when trying to plant. They eventually brought me and old 12 row finally to get done but that was last straw. Luckily my neighbors helped me out while doing their own planting between rain that year. I moved to Kinze planter and Till and have been real happy. I have NH tractors and combine.
I wish the company and employees well and years to come may have green again but not in foreseeable future.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Is the price difference much between the big 3?

Deere is higher priced on used tractors that we buy. Hard to say by how much, maybe 10%? Mostly Deere but a little bit of everything on our farm.

Last edited:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I think it passes, lot of the union guys who aren’t hard no’s seem ready to get back to work. Some of these guys were voting no before even seeing the previous offer. They are staggering voting in Waterloo too, alphabetically. Last time there were people speaking out to the crowd before the vote, rallying them to vote no. Not having the assembly before hand probably swings more yes votes.
Im not sure why the people in Waterloo are so butt hurt, other than the fact that they live in Waterloo... There were a lot of grumpy ass old timers in Des Moines when I started, but almost all have retired, not sure if that is the case there or not there? Get what you can get, but I am sure the scales will be balanced somehow and someone else will have to pay/lose out on what they are gaining.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Are John Deere tractors far superior to either Case or New Holland? I don't really know much about the equipment and I've always wondered. I once had a farmer tell that when you buy Deere, your just paying for the color of the paint. I should have asked him why he felt that way but didn't.
The equipment is only as good as your dealer. Deere, Case and Fendt are all about the same for features and reliability. Most people would be surprised at how many component suppliers they all share. For instance there are really only two seat suppliers for off road equipment. Tractors used one supplier and harvesters used the other one.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
When I was in the bank I could go through records and find any purchase or will document (which declared the value at that time) price of any ground I wanted to. That was old school cards and big books in the recorders office back then. Much easier now with the internet, can zip up the price within minutes.

Yes of course you can look it up some where. My point was that it is a low risk area and not something the IRS spends much time on.

Reactions: agcy68

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Deere workers approved the latest offer. 61% yes, 31% no. Workers will return immediately, although tonight's 3rd shift is voluntary.

Reactions: Neptune78

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The strike is over!! Soooo….. who wins?

This is a left-wing perspective but the easiest to find, clear summary I found of the outcome.

By going on strike, the UAW obtained the following:

• A 10 percent pay raise immediately (the previous offer called for 5 percent or 6 percent)
  • An additional 5 percent raise in 2023 and another 5 percent raise in 2025 (Deere had offered 3 percent and 3 percent early last month)
  • Quarterly cost-of-living increases, which were eliminated in Deere’s 2015 contract
  • $8,500 bonuses for each worker on approval of the contract, and lump sum payments of 3 percent of a worker’s qualified earnings in 2022, 2024, and 2026
  • Pension payments will increase, and future hires will continue to be part of the pension program (the company’s first offer had established a third tier for employees hired after November 1)
  • Larger lump sum payments for the first five years of retirement, compared to the previous offer
  • Health care benefits that remain unchanged throughout the six-year contract

The third-to-last bullet is interesting. I think you see more and more that companies and labor negotiate to push off a worse deal on future employees (who do not get a seat at the table when the deal is being struck). For example in the NFL the NFLPA got more concessions when they agreed to the rookie contract scale that dramatically lowered rookie salaries, knowing that no future rookies were current NFLPA members anyway. It looks like Deere tried that approach - ending pensions for future hires, which wouldn't affect current union members - but here the workers pushed back and beat it.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
This is a left-wing perspective but the easiest to find, clear summary I found of the outcome.

The third-to-last bullet is interesting. I think you see more and more that companies and labor negotiate to push off a worse deal on future employees (who do not get a seat at the table when the deal is being struck). For example in the NFL the NFLPA got more concessions when they agreed to the rookie contract scale that dramatically lowered rookie salaries, knowing that no future rookies were current NFLPA members anyway. It looks like Deere tried that approach - ending pensions for future hires, which wouldn't affect current union members - but here the workers pushed back and beat it.
Haven't really dug into the nuts and bolts but with the health care benefits being unchanged is that a win for the workers or for Deere?

Reactions: cycloner29

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It will be interesting to watch to see if and how much this affects Deere's earnings. Does their profit drop substantially due to higher labor costs? If it does will the street really care or will it just become a new baseline?