Cy-Hawk Dual

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The whole Hok athletic dept has some serious issues. Lawsuits, racism, anger management, psycho coaches, etc... Barta must be so proud.

It's kind of fascinating. It's like you think the whole thing is just going to blow up at some point, and never does. The Brands boys might just be the ones to blow the top though...

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm a bit perplexed that ISU sports can no longer defeat Iowa...in anything! Cross country is great and all, but even less of a following than wrestling.
We won't be able to compete with Iowa in wrestling until we get the funds. They're paying the team manager 6 figures to clean mats after practice because her husband is a stud wrestler 11 months out of the year

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
The Brands' coaching demeanor is terrible and I feel comfortable saying this because it is on public display all the time. I don't know them as private persons, but the legal history is a matter of public record.

More broadly, I question a sporting culture that allows rich, entitled, 50-60 year old coaches to act out like petulant 12 year old bullies. Not all coaches do this, and I only respect those that don't. Maybe the old timers can enlighten me--did Harold Nichols carry on like this? Gable certainly did from what I've seen.

Reactions: wxman1 and Bluffers

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why did Terry Brands run over to the ISU player area? All while Dresser was shaking hands with other Hok staff. Did someone say something to him? Was he just trying to get a last word in? Was there someone in particular he was targeting? He didn't seem to be wanting to fight or he would have gone after someone. I enjoyed seeing our wrestlers stand there with more poise and maturity and let it dissipate.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The Brands' coaching demeanor is terrible and I feel comfortable saying this because it is on public display all the time. I don't know them as private persons, but the legal history is a matter of public record.

More broadly, I question a sporting culture that allows rich, entitled, 50-60 year old coaches to act out like petulant 12 year old bullies. Not all coaches do this, and I only respect those that don't. Maybe the old timers can enlighten me--did Harold Nichols carry on like this? Gable certainly did from what I've seen.

I'm not quite old enough to remember a lot of coach Nic's tenure, but he was generally regarded as one of the most respected men in the sport, so I think it's safe to assume there was nothing remotely close to what we see out of the Brands on a regular basis.

I've never seen it anywhere else for that matter. Some jumping around in the corner, or calling for stall? Celebrating after a TD or a big match win? Absolutely. John Smith working the refs or whining a bit much for my taste? For sure. But jumping around like freaking zoo monkey while chirping with fans and the opposing coaches for the entirety of a dual is just not something you see anywhere else. Barta doesn't have the sack to control these guys. Literally, the ONLY person in the world that could control those two is Gable, and it'll be a cold day in hell before you'll ever see that.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018

Brands were the first wrestlers to demean their opponents by shoving them out of bounds routinely. It was promoted by Gable culture as “aggressive wrestling”.
Their antics as coaches are also a first and certainly have been developed. Followed by Doug Schwab as a close second. He was worse when he was an Iowa assistant.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
263489603_4783151725040828_8249663551849351543_n.jpg

Metcalf probably telling the ref how great of a job he did controlling the whole meet, Fellers in his newly appointed Hilton Security Guard position and Schon telling Terry you want some smoke?

Reactions: stuclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
View attachment 92863

Metcalf probably telling the ref how great of a job he did controlling the whole meet, Fellers in his newly appointed Hilton Security Guard position and Schon telling Terry you want some smoke?
That is is the dumbest looking hat I have ever seen. Is that some new thing?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron