Facilities and financial update from Jamie Pollard

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Without a doubt parking is going to be a problem in the future for football games, so now is the time to start thinking ahead and planning for it. We have limited space around the stadium without much opportunity to grow.

So how about allowing stadium Saturday parking at the West towers with a shuttle to bring people down to the stadium. We already do not allow students to park around the stadium during FB games, so moving them out of the West towers parking lot should not be that big of a deal.

TCU and Baylor run a very efficient shuttle system to get fans down to their stadiums, have been on both, ISU can do the same for the West towers and the Northern part of the campus.

Parking isn't great, but let me assure you most schools would KILL to have a parking setup like we have in Ames. Plus, we could easily pave those intramural fields, which should probably be done anyway. I've been to games at OU, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, Purdue, Kansas, etc. and the parking situations are all way, way, way worse than Ames.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If only we had regulations that either stopped people from developing in a flood plain, or if they do they are required to build it so the building sits a safe distance above the 100 year flood elevation. Oh, wait...

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Except now everything upstream from Saylorville looks like a nuclear test site. Saylorville Lake was the worst thing the Army Corps of Engineers could have done. But hey, at least all the people who live outside their means have a place to enjoy their ski boats and jet skis until the bank repos them.
Why is that? Serious question. I’ve never heard this take before.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So how about allowing stadium Saturday parking at the West towers with a shuttle to bring people down to the stadium. We already do not allow students to park around the stadium during FB games, so moving them out of the West towers parking lot should not be that big of a deal.

To where?

Reactions: Cyclonsin

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Parking isn't great, but let me assure you most schools would KILL to have a parking setup like we have in Ames. Plus, we could easily pave those intramural fields, which should probably be done anyway.

LOL. Not happening. Rec Services isn't giving that land up, especially since they just sunk $10M into a complete re-do of the SE fields, and $2M into the MWL fields.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
The major reason Hilton got inundated up to the lower bowl was the berm under the loading ramp down into the building got washed away, kinda like a dam failure under a road. Hopefully they have corrected that with proper engineering. They also have flood gates at Scheman and Hilton West end street entrance. Hilton had survived one flood prior to that with minimal damage, water came in through sewer pipes running through the berm (sevice for the locker rooms and floor drains on the main floor, the west end entrance was sandbagged for that flood. (Had 1" of water on main floor) but pumps were able to keep up with those sewer pipe backflow. Locker rooms had to be refurbished. But the millions of damage occurred when the back ramp gave way in the second big flood
I think the impact of Center Drive on the Hilton flood is often overlooked. The fact that Center Drive is built on a large berm turns the Hilton/Scheman area into a bowl. Water came in from the north and east, but couldn't flow out to the south at a rate fast enough to avoid flooding. If the Center Drive berm wasn't there (or if massive pumping had been used to "empty the bowl"), I doubt Hilton would have flooded.

P.S. In 2010, I went to the area and noted the "rush" of water coming through the walking tunnels under Center Drive. I thought they must have pumps in place. Nope. It was just the "rush" of water coming from water pressure inside the "bowl" around Hilton.
The 1st flood, the one I witnessed from inside Hilton (I believe around 78 but I cant remember for sure) there were three huge pumps in one of the lower mechanical rooms of Hilton, as well as foundation drains running around the entire circumference of the building. The pumps were 480V/3 phase units, I think 75 horsepower each, but not sure on that. They had a concrete pit underneath, approximately 15 feet deep as I recall, which drained all storm and ground water from the "bowl". Actually, during that first flood, one pump was out of service, as a new 20' long shaft had to fabricated for the pump as it had been bent when some debris (unknown source) had gotten into the pit and the pump motor had bent the 2" shaft and it had to be replaced; so only two pumps were operational at that time. actually during "Normal weather, only one ran, and then irregularly as the pit filled. But the two were adequate to keep Hilton from any major flooding (They each had 8" discharge lines directly to now "Ioway" creek. The main concern I had was loss of power, as the main substation for South campus also resided in Hilton, on the main floor level, and the emergency generator was also by that substation. The pumps were NOT connected to it though, I think that was accomplished prior to the next flood, by which time I had left Ames. Thankfully I was not part of that.

PS: the bball floor was out and stored on 2x4 stringers! So it was OK.

Last edited:

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA

As a student my friends and I somewhat regularly ate/drank at establishments like Old Chicago, Legends, Wallaby's, West Towne Pub, etc. pretty regularly. While we may not go out bar hopping in a pricier district than this, heading there to watch an away game and enjoy some drinks & food would be a common occurrence. So I think we're down playing how valuable that demo can be.

That said, if this is done right, it could immediately become the most fun and exciting area in Ames and have multiple venues that appeal to a broad spectrum of customers.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
As I've heard Pollard talk about it, he describes it more as "controlling our own destiny." We have an opportunity to build a big revenue-generating district that most schools don't have.
A video of a Pollard presentation at a Director‘s level event (2019?) was shared here. That is where this concept was first publicly shared and JP directly stated the comments I am referencing.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Except now everything upstream from Saylorville looks like a nuclear test site. Saylorville Lake was the worst thing the Army Corps of Engineers could have done. But hey, at least all the people who live outside their means have a place to enjoy their ski boats and jet skis until the bank repos them.
They could not have built Red Rock if they didn't put saylorville in.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The 1st flood, the one I witnessed from inside Hilton (I believe around 78 but I cant remember for sure) there were three huge pumps in one of the lower mechanical rooms of Hilton, as well as foundation drains running around the entire circumference of the building. The pumps were 480V/3 phase units, I think 75 horsepower each, but not sure on that. They had a concrete pit underneath, approximately 15 feet deep as I recall, which drained all storm and ground water from the "bowl". Actually, during that first flood, one pump was out of service, as a new 20' long shaft had to fabricated for the pump as it had been bent when some debris (unknown source) had gotten into the pit and the pump motor had bent the 2" shaft and it had to be replaced; so only two pumps were operational at that time. actually during "Normal weather, only one ran, and then irregularly as the pit filled. But the two were adequate to keep Hilton from any major flooding (They each had 8" discharge lines directly to now "Ioway" creek. The main concern I had was loss of power, as the main substation for South campus also resided in Hilton, on the main floor level, and the emergency generator was also by that substation. The pumps were NOT connected to it though, I think that was accomplished prior to the next flood, by which time I had left Ames. Thankfully I was not part of that.

PS: the bball floor was out and stored on 2x4 stringers! So it was OK.

Very interesting. Any insight on the 2010 flood of Hilton?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Ok, I love this shuttle idea. Would help with traffic flow.

Also, any Hok fans that come for the Cy-Hok game (never go into the stadium anyway) can be shuttled and dropped off in Boone. They can Uber back.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
The last thing football games need is more parking around the stadium... We need to keep as much permeable ground in the area if we want to help Cy-Town become a success.

2019 Cy-Hawk game I got to Ames about 90 minutes before kick-off. I had to park in Lot 41 (North of General Services). It was a 15-20 minute walk and cost me nothing. For 150K people+ in the area. That is pretty dang good.

Look at this ABUNDANCE of FREE PARKING!!

Some peoples obsession with abundant, cheap/free parking is absolutely INSANE!!!

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Ok, I love this shuttle idea. Would help with traffic flow.

Also, any Hok fans that come for the Cy-Hok game (never go into the stadium anyway) can be shuttled and dropped off in Boone. They can Uber back.

If they wanted to make a shuttle work. You could use the area around The Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology Building. I bet there is a thousands spots around there.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Very interesting. Any insight on the 2010 flood of Hilton?
No, as I do not know what changes were made after the second flood where the berm washed away at the ramp and by that time did no longer have any former associates at the facility.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The last thing football games need is more parking around the stadium... We need to keep as much permeable ground in the area if we want to help Cy-Town become a success.

2019 Cy-Hawk game I got to Ames about 90 minutes before kick-off. I had to park in Lot 41 (North of General Services). It was a 15-20 minute walk and cost me nothing. For 150K people+ in the area. That is pretty dang good.

Look at this ABUNDANCE of FREE PARKING!!

Some peoples obsession with abundant, cheap/free parking is absolutely INSANE!!!
There’s plenty of parking but not necessarily easy ways to get to the stadium. Especially for people who have problems walking. There are plenty of people who have difficulties walking that far who aren’t handicapped. We used to park by Gerdin and walk but when my parents would go my mom had trouble walking that far. She has bad knees and some other health issues.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
No, as I do not know what changes were made after the second flood where the berm washed away at the ramp and by that time did no longer have any former associates at the facility.

It was interesting to read about the underground pumping around Hilton. That might work fine during a regular heavy rain. However, I wonder if their outlets would be affected during a major flood and render them less effective. Were they even designed to deal with the amount of water that ended up in the bowl during a major flood?