Facilities and financial update from Jamie Pollard

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
So who is the target users of this new bar/ entertainment district? will home games (football and bball) pay the bills?

college kids who majority leave in the summer or are not 21? *its very out of the way of walking from welch... i remember the bars were a ghost town in the summer*

Ames city people? *they have main st*

I just don't see how a city of 66k is going to sustain this

Not sure if it was just the weekends or the time frame of which I was back, but I've been back in Ames during the times when students are off (Summers, Holidays, etc) in recent years, and Welch does seem busier than it did back in my days from 04-08.

This might be a stretch, but if it was done right I could see these businesses making it just on football and basketball alone tied in with the average student consumer heading over during the spring time frame. Also the weekends when the families are in town. Kind of like how the town of Kearney, NE or Ames for that matter can support all the hotels they have. I'm fairly certain Kearney makes it work with holiday travelers and when I-80 is shut down just as Ames does with Football, B-ball, and graduation dates.

Reactions: ISUCE

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
He mentioned access to new paved parking for cardinal level and up once the new RV lot is complete. I'm assuming this means no access to football parking for anyone under the Cardinal ($750) giving level after that project since they will be eliminating all of the States level parking with the G7 renovation.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nice set-up for the email about re-tiering the Cyclone Club.

I'll be really interested to see if they link the various parts of the Iowa State Center in the benefits packages. For instance, throw in some tickets to shows at Stephens for certain types of donors. It seems like something they could do that would add great value to donors, but not necessarily cost the Athletic Department anything because the seats would be spread out among events that will be held anyway.

I called it!

Reactions: cyfanatic

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Guessing there will not be nearly enough parking spots around Hilton to replace all of G7. If you are States level, I would count on moving up to guarantee a spot.
Possibly, but remember S8, D1, D2, D3, & D4 are all moving from RV parking to now car parking so that is a good amount of spots.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Possibly, but remember S8, D2, D3, & D4 are all moving from RV parking to now car parking so that is a good amount of spots.

Yeah, I think that coupled with the increased levels making some people deciding against it should keep most G7 people with a spot. Time will tell.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Parking isn't great, but let me assure you most schools would KILL to have a parking setup like we have in Ames. Plus, we could easily pave those intramural fields, which should probably be done anyway. I've been to games at OU, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, Purdue, Kansas, etc. and the parking situations are all way, way, way worse than Ames.
Without a doubt we have a good setup, but it can get better. Yes, there are parking spaces that are free to the Northend of the campus, which is great if you are going to park and walk to the stadium, but how about those of us that like to tailgate? That either means we tailgate in those lots away a from the excitement of being at the stadium or trying to drag your chairs, drinks and other stuff to the stadium to tailgate with someone else.

As the fan base grows, more parking is needed, Pollard should have forced the issue and taken the IM fields to the east of Trice, but that is now a mute issue. If you want to act like a big time Power 5 program, then you have to start making it easier, when possible, for that fan base to park relatively close and be able to get in and out or at least shuttle to the stadium, even if it costs a few bucks each way. Otherwise they will stay at home, and watch the games on a 65" OLED TV and not mess with the whole thing.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Possibly, but remember S8, D1, D2, D3, & D4 are all moving from RV parking to now car parking so that is a good amount of spots.
Could be the case. However, there were already cardinal donors parking in G7 last year. Would be interesting to know what the net change I'm spots is.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Without a doubt we have a good setup, but it can get better. Yes, there are parking spaces that are free to the Northend of the campus, which is great if you are going to park and walk to the stadium, but how about those of us that like to tailgate? That either means we tailgate in those lots away a from the excitement of being at the stadium or trying to drag your chairs, drinks and other stuff to the stadium to tailgate with someone else.

As the fan base grows, more parking is needed, Pollard should have forced the issue and taken the IM fields to the east of Trice, but that is now a mute issue. If you want to act like a big time Power 5 program, then you have to start making it easier, when possible, for that fan base to park relatively close and be able to get in and out or at least shuttle to the stadium, even if it costs a few bucks each way. Otherwise they will stay at home, and watch the games on a 65" OLED TV and not mess with the whole thing.

Not saying I disagree, but how many other P5 stadiums have you been to where there is ample parking this close to the stadium? Even for GA parking.

Not everything can be free. Being bigtime isn't free.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The annual fund comparisons to the other Big 12 Schools and Iowa at the 8 minute mark is eye-opening.
Good point. Looks like there are 5,000 to 6,000 donations at the levels they gave. Which means only 85% of those attending the football games (excluding students) are not donors at those levels.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Not saying I disagree, but how many other P5 stadiums have you been to where there is ample parking this close to the stadium? Even for GA parking.
I have been to quite a few stadiums and think maybe the only one who had a similar set-up was K-State. I do think a lot of our fans who haven't traveled to many road games realize how well they actually have it.

Yes it could run smoother from an operations standpoint no doubt but when you put 60,000+ people in that tight of an area and a lot of them trying to arrive at a similar time there is going to be some "issues".

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I have been to quite a few stadiums and think maybe the only one who had a similar set-up was K-State. I do think a lot of our fans who haven't traveled to many road games realize how pretty good they actually have it.

Yes it could run smoother from an operations standpoint no doubt but when you put 60,000+ people in that tight of an area and a lot of them trying to arrive at a similar time there is going to be some "issues".

I remember parking in a field at K-State in 2004; animal **** everywhere.