B12 Board

BraveKnight

Dec 5, 2021
I think turning it around would be a threat to go 6-6 every year and beating conference foes other than Texas. Huge lift given how little they invest in football.
I mean Kansas State was arguably in a worse position before Snyder and they managed to build a decent program, and Kansas had success with Mangino. I think it’s possible to do better than that.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Hey Cyclones! I’m a UCF fan and looking forward to playing you guys every year in the B12! Always liked Iowa State and Matt Campbell and hope I can go there for a game sometime.

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys would like to join a new Big 12 board and talk to other B12 conference mates as well as talk on this board. If you’re interested, here’s the link:
Big 12 Board

Not trying to spam or advertise, just want to make a place for all B12 fans to talk about things regarding the conference, and get different fans’ perspectives. If you are going to go to Orlando for a game when we play you guys for the first time, feel free to ask me any questions!

Go cyclones!
Thanks for the Thread and the invite. I just put your link into my 'saved'. Good luck to the 'new guys' and the Big 12. We can use a positive shot in the arm.
I would gladly play double of whatever it would cost me and my kids to go to Disney, in order to NOT go to Disney. I don’t care for that cluster **** at all. A good time in Florida is sitting my ass on a beach and not moving for hours.
I'm with you. And the fewer people the better. Something about just lying on the beach and taking an occasional stroll up and down. Nothing like it.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I can't wrap my mind around how scheduling an 18-team conference works...

Im sure they will figure it out pretty quickly. Some years it won't be fair and some it will. Sometimes we will skate with a Hawkeye type schedule where we avoid all the real good teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State) then other years we will have a real hard schedule but get to watch some big teams.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Im sure they will figure it out pretty quickly. Some years it won't be fair and some it will. Sometimes we will skate with a Hawkeye type schedule where we avoid all the real good teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State) then other years we will have a real hard schedule but get to watch some big teams.
The best way to do anything bigger than 10 is to have one protected (rivalry) game for each team then rotate the rest of the teams so you don't play anyone more often than anyone else. Otherwise if you try to split the conference in half or pods you end up with continually unbalanced schedules like what happened in the old Big 12 North & South and the current Big 10 & SEC.

Reactions: Drew0311

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
The best way to do anything bigger than 10 is to have one protected (rivalry) game for each team then rotate the rest of the teams so you don't play anyone more often than anyone else. Otherwise if you try to split the conference in half or pods you end up with continually unbalanced schedules like what happened in the old Big 12 North & South and the current Big 10 & SEC.

Yeah, there’s really not a good way to do it. The B1G couldn’t accomplish anything close to a balanced schedule, and they only had 14.

When you’re trying to protect rivalries and at the same time balance the schedule/get all the conference teams to all the schools eventually, it’s really hard, if not impossible. This idea of one rivalry game per school and then just rotating through the rest of the conference isn’t terrible, as far as meeting the criteria - but schools almost always have more than one opponent they’d like to play every year, and that doesn’t fit this model.

The other notion - which doesn’t help with the “play a variety of teams in your conference” - is to just accept the reality that 16/18/20+ conferences aren’t “conferences” at all, but (at least) two separate conferences with an agreement on a common champion. Just split up your divisions into nine or ten schools, then your conference schedule is simply playing the rest of your division. No, it’s not balanced, but what else are you going to do? Every schedule that’s not a true round-robin is unbalanced to some degree - pods don’t help that, rotating through the whole conference doesn’t help that. Just agree that your two division winners play for the championship, and that’s that. (Or have a four-team playoff if you’re really broken up about a team that couldn’t even win its own division possibly getting left out of the CFP … /stares at SEC/ …)

Maybe mix up your divisions every couple of years, so you can get schools to see everybody else over time. Again, though, that plan would affect your set “rivalries“ - you just gotta decide what’s most important.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Let's go complete chaos and do something completely different. Have a premiere division and a relegated division. Top two in premiere play the championship, top two in relegated get promoted. Premiere League splits championship dollars.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I can't wrap my mind around how scheduling an 18-team conference works...

I’d like 20. Two 10 team divisions. Round Robin your side then 3 from the other side based on random draw out of a hat. Tell me that wouldn’t be a sick 8 hour special on Big 12 Now on ESPN plus.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I’d like 20. Two 10 team divisions. Round Robin your side then 3 from the other side based on random draw out of a hat. Tell me that wouldn’t be a sick 8 hour special on Big 12 Now on ESPN plus.
You had me until ESPN plus. We need to distance ourselves from ESPN.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I personally think Yormark knocked it out of the park with his interview, he was very enthusiastic and aggressive, it’s certainly a change from what is UCF fans are used to. What do you guys think?
He’s gonna make us some dolla bills.

BraveKnight

Dec 5, 2021
Do you guys have a semblance of a basketball team?
Brand wise, we’re going to be the bottom feeder, at least on paper. But we took Duke to the wire in the tourney in 2018 and have been a decent team as of late. We also signed a top 100 player this class. However I think it’ll take us some time to adjust, and we’ll be a punching bag for a bit.