B12 Board

BraveKnight

Dec 5, 2021
Good, you can promise a better contract to your next coach with B12 money. There should be a ton of opportunity to become a basketball power in Florida right now. UF and FSU aren't great, Miami is but Larranaga is old and was on the hot seat before their run this year. He can't have much time left. That leaves UCF a nice vacuum if you find a coach who can take advantage of it.
Yep, I think it would be a pretty attractive job to a lot of people. We recruit pretty well even with Dawkins, so I don’t think we would have a hard time finding a good coach. However our current AD is more of a football guy and has always been that way at his previous stops. Not sure if he would pour money into it.

Reactions: WhoISthis

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yep, I think it would be a pretty attractive job to a lot of people. We recruit pretty well even with Dawkins, so I don’t think we would have a hard time finding a good coach. However our current AD is more of a football guy and has always been that way at his previous stops. Not sure if he would pour money into it.
If he doesn’t give it resources, he must be comfortable with it being firmly in the cellar in his new conference.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
A while ago I would’ve said yes, but most of our fanbase is loyal to UCF first. We’ve come a long way in 30 years. Especially for football, it’s now mostly diehard UCF fans and the amount of gator or fsu fans is very small. Basketball is mostly the same way, except our fanbase doesn’t care about it as much as football, so we rely more on bandwagon fans when we’re good. Although they do show up.
Agree

It’s not like Iowa-UNI

In Iowa, nearly every house is already decided, long ago. You may have a soft spot for uni if you go there, but most people inherit their team

Florida has so much transplants and a growing population, and UCF pulling in so many students from new-to-Florida families. Florida and FSU are the most popular but they don’t own the state the same way

More importantly for the Big 12, UCF is relevant enough that even if they’re not people’s favorite team, people watch when they play games against known competition. UCF in the Big 12 will get good ratings- it there is overlap with OUT, that would be a great jump start. Eventually if the Big 12 adds 4 corners + UW/Oregon + ACC schools, UCF will do well getting Florida viewers in the 3rd super conference

Reactions: NWICY

BraveKnight

Dec 5, 2021
Agree

It’s not like Iowa-UNI

In Iowa, nearly every house is already decided, long ago. You may have a soft spot for uni if you go there, but most people inherit their team

Florida has so much transplants and a growing population, and UCF pulling in so many students from new-to-Florida families. Florida and FSU are the most popular but they don’t own the state the same way

More importantly for the Big 12, UCF is relevant enough that even if they’re not people’s favorite team, people watch when they play games against known competition. UCF in the Big 12 will get good ratings- it there is overlap with OUT, that would be a great jump start. Eventually if the Big 12 adds 4 corners + UW/Oregon + ACC schools, UCF will do well getting Florida viewers in the 3rd super conference
Exactly. We actually have quite a bit of interest from common fans in the entire central Florida area from Tampa to Daytona. When we play good opponents we always have very good TV ratings in the area and nationally. And to your point, we have lots of students from around the country, so our alumni base is very national. People are always surprised at how well our fanbase travels, and that’s definitely one of the reasons why.

BraveKnight

Dec 5, 2021
Looks like the PAC media deal is going to suck. Hopefully that means some of those schools will jump ship.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

BraveKnight

Dec 5, 2021
Good luck against Baylor fellas! Saw your win against Iowa, the defense looked great! Or maybe Iowa’s offense was atrocious. Or both.

Reactions: CloneGuy8

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
Hey Cyclones! I’m a UCF fan and looking forward to playing you guys every year in the B12! Always liked Iowa State and Matt Campbell and hope I can go there for a game sometime.

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys would like to join a new Big 12 board and talk to other B12 conference mates as well as talk on this board. If you’re interested, here’s the link:
Big 12 Board

Not trying to spam or advertise, just want to make a place for all B12 fans to talk about things regarding the conference, and get different fans’ perspectives. If you are going to go to Orlando for a game when we play you guys for the first time, feel free to ask me any questions!

Go cyclones!
Welcome to the conference! Most of us are glad to be rid of Texas which as always seemed to be a festering sore in the side of the conference. And not sad about Oklahoma either.

Do not know much about UCF but will learn. The only thing that I do know is that your former (until this year) women's basketball coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson graduated from Washington High School in Cedar Rapids Iowa. And she was an assistant woman's basketball coach at Iowa State a little over 20 years ago.

Reactions: BraveKnight

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Well it looks like we aren’t playing you guys this year, but you do play Cincy. I’d definitely recommend going there if you haven’t, it’s a very cool and historic stadium!

Good luck this year!
Good luck, which game are you most excited for?

Reactions: BraveKnight

BraveKnight

Dec 5, 2021
Good luck, which game are you most excited for?
Probably @ OU, haven’t been there before and our old starting QB Dillon Gabriel is there. Our players are going to want to win that game.

After that, probably Baylor and Oklahoma State.

Reactions: simply1

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Probably @ OU, haven’t been there before and our old starting QB Dillon Gabriel is there. Our players are going to want to win that game.

After that, probably Baylor and Oklahoma State.
Baylor is the f*cking worst. Good luck with that b*llshit.

Reactions: DarkStar

cyclones7

May 17, 2010
Baylor is the f*cking worst. Good luck with that b*llshit.

why do you say that. I am going to guess you havent been there. Been there 3 times with no issues. Actually, one of the nicest fan bases I have met compared to the other Big 12 stadiums. have tailgated with a lot of their fans after they ask us to join them. hell, last game there we were walking out with the students after the loss and no issues at all. Had a lot talk to us and were very cordial.