Big 12/ Pac 12 Merger (keep all the teams)

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Ol' Stewie thinks Big 12 is making a mistake it appears:

His tears are good.

Imagine someone claiming the Big 12 was in the stronger position as OUT had standing applications to the SEC, KU was rumored to be maybe the most likely to leave, and we had to close on a new TV deal before anyone else.

What a ******* idiot.

Reactions: cyclone1209

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
If the NBC reports are true, NBC will be able to have a full day of Big 12 football less one ND home game. It is a win for NBC to get coast to coast Big 12 inventory from 11 am (WVU, Cincy, UCF, etc) CST to 5:00 pm CST or even 8:30pm CST (BYU, potential Arizona schools, etc). SEC, ACC, Big Ten are off the table already. Pac logistics don't allow 11am kickoffs. CBS is still a player in all of this too. The Big 12 is in a great position here. The 4 corner schools (and maybe even Oregon and Washington) can't ignore this if the Big 12 is looking like the front runner in this deal.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

The "ability" to provide 1030ET games every week??? Is that like the "ability" to provide herpes to a potential spouse?

Good grief, everyone has been saying the PAC needs the Big12's earlier kick times, not later ones. That's so backasswards its hard to believe he said it. But there it is.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Looks like all that unity stuff the PAC has been spewing this past week is about to crumble. It also looks like the Big 12 is about to get bigger.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The "ability" to provide 1030ET games every week??? Is that like the "ability" to provide herpes to a potential spouse?

Good grief, everyone has been saying the PAC needs the Big12's earlier kick times, not later ones. That's so backasswards its hard to believe he said it. But there it is.

Yeah, I love the late night games, but no one 'needs' them. Theyre fun for the CFB fanatics but they don't drive a bunch of ratings (though this may be because of who is playing-teams that don't draw much interest). And hell, with BYU and the 4 corners schools in the mix we could easily schedule a late night game every week.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If the NBC reports are true, NBC will be able to have a full day of Big 12 football less one ND home game. It is a win for ND to get coast to coast Big 12 inventory from 11 am (WVU, Cincy, etc) CST to 5:00 pm CST or even 8:30pm CST (BYU, potential Arizona schools, etc). SEC, ACC, Big Ten are off the table already. Pac logistics don't allow 11am kickoffs. CBS is still a player in all of this too. The Big 12 is in a great position here. The 4 corner schools (and maybe even Oregon and Washington) can't ignore this if the Big 12 is looking like the front runner in this deal.

Are there any actual reports? It sounded to me like HCS was spitballing, or maybe Bob was just putting a "heck idk" quote out there to get some buzz going on it.

It's a decent idea though. How often do you watch NBC on CFB saturday? Me hardly ever, because there is only one game and idk when its on and am not a ND fan. I don't even flip around to NBC if I am flipping around. But if they had 4 games from 11 to 11, and 1 was ND, I'd be more likely to watch any/all of them, no matter which conference it was.

If nothing else, it's a skoosh more leverage for the Big12's negotiation power.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

This is what happens when you can't come to grips with the Big 12 adding PAC schools.

That 10:30 PM ET games is going to get more time zones to care if it is not just PAC vs PAC. In particular, a CA-less PAC

jimonalog

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2020
Can't get far enough away from the P12 dumpster. They add nothing other than content. They think they are always about B12. Who needs that. We finally got rid of the last 2 teams who suck the teat of B12. Enjoy OuT!

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

Stewart hasn't gotten through the denial stage yet. He wants so badly for the PAC to live on and the Big 12 to die off that he's blind to the reality. Oh well, he'll be moving from denial into depression soon enough.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Looks like all that unity stuff the PAC has been spewing this past week is about to crumble. It also looks like the Big 12 is about to get bigger.
Now that it's news the big 12 and pac 12 won't merge as leagues, I think - ok fine they're not going to merge.

But isn't the door still open though for the Big 12 to pursue CU / Arizona St / and Arizona to recruit them as one offs to join the league? I would think all of them would go to the Big 12 if it meant more stability and I think that it does. Those schools also to me would be better cultural fits for the Big 12 than the schools like Stanford and Cal. And maybe this happens next summer as our tv deal negotiation nears closer..

I don't think this closes the door on our expansion for this year or next year. If you are CU / Arizona / ASU what do you have to lose by joining the Big 12? Better basketball league for sure, better fanbases for college, can see a lot of games closer within driving distance. It just makes sense for those 3 schools to me.

• Agree
Reactions: MisterO

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

1. big 12 has fan bases that show out. this matters a lot in the cord cut era we are in
  2. big 12 might not be top heavy with traditional powers and markets, but who gives a **** about that in the cord cut era. it has a dense middle that gives you a great slate of games weekly.
  3. big 12 can provide 7 games a week. 2 @ 11:00, 2 @ 2:30, 2 @ 7:00, and 1@ Thurs/Friday/bye
  4. big 12 - OUT already has a better TV deal in place than the PAC - USC/UCLA. i dont see this changing.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
He has now stooped to arguing with replies that don’t support his narrative. This guy is a dweeb.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You 100% add Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Washington and Oregon knowing that you probably have UW and Oregon short term but it guarantees the PAC crumbles. Once the ACC GOR falls apart the Big 12 will be in solid position to pick up the pieces that the B1G and SEC don't want and will be the clear cut third conference.
This. Once the ACC GOR is up, that conference is going to be picked apart. SEC is going to grab Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT. Big 10 is going to grab unc duke and either uva/pitt or wash/or or Stanford/cal. Maybe 5-6 of that group depending on nd. Then they’ll eject from the ncaa. What we need to do is be the best landing spot for the leftovers. Say we grab a pitt, Louisville, nc st, bc. Everyone else is pretty much done and the B12 is the clear #3. That should be the goal. Plus eliminate the P12 as competition for media rights.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Now that it's news the big 12 and pac 12 won't merge as leagues, I think - ok fine they're not going to merge.

But isn't the door still open though for the Big 12 to pursue CU / Arizona St / and Arizona to recruit them as one offs to join the league? I would think all of them would go to the Big 12 if it meant more stability and I think that it does. Those schools also to me would be better cultural fits for the Big 12 than the schools like Stanford and Cal. And maybe this happens next summer as our tv deal negotiation nears closer..

I don't think this closes the door on our expansion for this year or next year. If you are CU / Arizona / ASU what do you have to lose by joining the Big 12? Better basketball league for sure, better fanbases for college, can see a lot of games closer within driving distance. It just makes sense for those 3 schools to me.

Not only does this not close the door, I think it indicates that door is wide open. The big 12 is walking away from this because they know they can likely get 4-6 PAC teams and make more on average that way.