The “We Will” Collective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Exactly, and make the decision yourself without denigrating those who do or don't contribute. Personally, I will contribute very soon. I've been through 1 and 2 win seasons in both basketball and football and I don't care to see those again. If the "We Will" helps our coaches compete with others, then I'm in.
This is where I am as well. Don’t like the idea of college athletes making $25K, $50K, or whatever, especially when it’s the universities that are making $$ off the athletes, not the fans. I also recognize that there are many other needy causes. However, I bleed Cardinal and Gold and recognize that ISU will likely to fall behind if it can’t be competitive in the NIL arena. That would suck. Therefore, I will be contributing what I can to the collective, but won’t be passing judgement on those who don’t.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I'm sure this is a dense question, but at what point does more money for the school not matter any more? What's an extra $40M going to do that hasn't been done? How much nicer can the practice facilities, dining halls, weigh rooms, etc. be made time and time again?

If this extra cash can somehow be back channeled into the NIL and distributed to players/recruits, that's when the real separation will start to occur.
What is going to stop this money from going to players/recruits? NCAA going to stop it or control it, highly unlikely.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Hate to bring them up but did anyone see that the hawkeyes have established the 'Swarm' Collective? Which coincidentally is the name of a sex worker advocacy group?
I guess they didn't bother googling the term before hand...

The We Will Collective simply must do better advocating for sex workers, Iowa has the jump on us in this department.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
What is going to stop this money from going to players/recruits? NCAA going to stop it or control it, highly unlikely.
The money trail. All monies paid from a collective are monitored as w-2 wages or 1099 payments. Government has these records. Taxes will be paid.

• Haha
Reactions: 2forISU

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
The money trail. All monies paid from a collective are monitored as w-2 wages or 1099 payments. Government has these records. Taxes will be paid.
I understand that there is checks and balances, but it's naïve to think that these universities will be swimming in cash and kids wont get something from it. There is always a loophole or a way to cheat.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Don't know why people have to be so shittey about this on both sides. Let people do what they want. If people want to donate to the collective great. If not great. No one should tell anybody else how they should spend their money.

Well that's applying way too much common sense to the issue. :)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hate to bring them up but did anyone see that the hawkeyes have established the 'Swarm' Collective? Which coincidentally is the name of a sex worker advocacy group?
I guess they didn't bother googling the term before hand...

The We Will Collective simply must do better advocating for sex workers, Iowa has the jump on us in this department.

Im still trying figure out wtf “swarm” has to do with Hawkeyes, Iowa, or Iowa City, or just whatever.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
This is where I am as well. Don’t like the idea of college athletes making $25K, $50K, or whatever, especially when it’s the universities that are making $$ off the athletes, not the fans. I also recognize that there are many other needy causes. However, I bleed Cardinal and Gold and recognize that ISU will likely to fall behind if it can’t be competitive in the NIL arena. That would suck. Therefore, I will be contributing what I can to the collective, but won’t be passing judgement on those who don’t.
I will only pass judgement if/when the Cyclones fall behind and start losing because we didn't support the NIL initiative while those people who didn't contribute start b!tching that we aren't any good.

Like it or not, this is the game currently. Play it, or risk falling behind.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I will only pass judgement if/when the Cyclones fall behind and start losing because we didn't support the NIL initiative while those people who didn't contribute start b!tching that we aren't any good.

Like it or not, this is the game currently. Play it, or risk falling behind.

Our recruiting has been better than ever in both FB and BB.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Why does every one of these threads turn into a pissing match?

If you don’t want to donate then don’t, but no one cares how much better you are for not donating

Reactions: Cyrock18

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
So many questions to be answered before donations start to flow in. I just hope this isn't a temporary thing. Once we see we can't compete with the Alabama's of the world for money, it could go south rather quickly.

I think we need to take a different approach here...

What will it take to compete? Right now, it is not that difficult.

Most schools are talking about giving players in the 50k to 100k range (MBB, CFB). That is 100 total scholarship players, or:

100 x $50k = $5M
100 x $100k = $10M

What would it take?

We have 61.5k fans going to Jack Trice on Saturday afternoons. We have almost 150k people following Iowa State Football on twitter. We have 31k students at the University, 3.2M people in the state, and a population of 66k in Ames.

It takes $10 a month from 100k of us to generate....

$12M / Yr

We can listen to paul finbaum, stuart mandel, and the rest of the national media tell us that we don't matter. Or we can do something about it. It's in our hands.

The Green Bay Packers are one of the most valuable franchises in the world and they are in a town that has only 40k more people than Ames, IA. Why? Because they care that much about their local team... they were on the brink of bankruptcy multiple times. How did they get out of it? The fans stepped up.

My point is, we can be the difference. Most fan bases are lazy. They don't care enough to be part of the solution. If we are not part of the solution we will fail. It will take all of us. But if we all do a little, do what we can, it will make a big difference.

Historically, the 5 yr average contributions for a P5 school are about $28M (5 yr average from 2016-2020). This year (School Year '22/23) we got to $30M in donations. We are making huge strides here.

We are moving in the right direction. But unlike the big brands, it's not 100 donors, it's 100k. We can do it, if we all do a little.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why does every one of these threads turn into a pissing match?

If you don’t want to donate then don’t, but no one cares how much better you are for not donating

Yeah I can't wait until 6 weeks from now and 'in high school we'd just run a post there and why doesn't ISU just do what Ohio State does!? CFers start showing up when the offense isn't the '99 Rams.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Our recruiting has been better than ever in both FB and BB.
You can listen to Gunnerclone or the actual FB and BB coaches who have their own thoughts, who may in fact be using the direction and potential of We Will in their recruiting discussions! I think people can make their own decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron