The “We Will” Collective

Status
Not open for further replies.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I hope the collective gets off the ground, I really do. And I think Brent is the best man possible to do it.

I guess I just have issues with the whole thing. Why should I as a fan have to donate money to the AD, donate money to the players, and also buy tickets, concessions, parking. It's just getting a little much. I don't have to shell out for the Vikings roster. NCAA should just rip the amateurism band-aid off already. It's obvious the cats out of the bag.
You don't have to.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Thought I could answer a few of these if it would help people get on board. I am not getting paid by any funds from the Collective, I will make a living if companies collaborate with student athletes through a separate marketing entity. Needless to say it’s a bit of a risk leaving a job with stable benefits. :)

We have had roughly 500 donations total since We Will originated and relative to a school like Texas Tech that announced it is giving $25,000 to each football player we are a couple million dollars behind them. Iowa State players apply to be paired with non-profits through the We Will website and that begins the process of who is eligible to receive compensation for their community efforts. We have participated in 6 community events so far with 8 athletes I believe. We’re not trying to hide anything I promise and we really do need everyone to buy in if we want Iowa State to be successful in this space. Thus why I’m involved and really want this to do well. Happy to answer any more questions if it can get people on board.

Thank You!

Maybe not a question, but suggestion.

I’d suggest to be more active with the bolded on social media (Twitter, IG, TikTok, etc.), updating the We Will website with this info, including news organizations when these events take place, even CF threads.

By showing what’s going on with the collective - it’ll help improve it’s brand/donations.

I do have one question. How is the payment amount determined, how is an athlete selected, and how does the board vote on these? If you can’t answer this in public… feel free to send a PM.

Reactions: brentblum

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Thank You!

Maybe not a question, but suggestion.

I’d suggest to be more active with the bolded on social media (Twitter, IG, TikTok, etc.), updating the We Will website with this info, including news organizations when these events take place, even CF threads.

By showing what’s going on with the collective - it’ll help improve it’s brand/donations.

I do have one question. How is the payment amount determined, how is an athlete selected, and how does the board vote on these? If you can’t answer this in public… feel free to send a PM.
Awesome feedback and completely agree. I’ll PM you as well.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
ISU has to get creative to keep up with school out east/Big10 &SEC, I hope Blum and his team are up for the task. If this Big10 TV deal goes through, Iowa will be swimming in cash.

Iowa's swimming in $50M in debt from COVID that it owes the university. Should probably pay that back, but we all know how much that schools hates paying the bill when it comes due...

Barta, Kirk, Brands. and Fran are going to get fat salary increases with the new money. The new revenue won't make up for the fact that they'll get their as* kicked when the soft B1G West is broken up.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Shawker

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
ISU has to get creative to keep up with school out east/Big10 &SEC, I hope Blum and his team are up for the task. If this Big10 TV deal goes through, Iowa will be swimming in cash.

I'm sure this is a dense question, but at what point does more money for the school not matter any more? What's an extra $40M going to do that hasn't been done? How much nicer can the practice facilities, dining halls, weigh rooms, etc. be made time and time again?

If this extra cash can somehow be back channeled into the NIL and distributed to players/recruits, that's when the real separation will start to occur.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I'm sure this is a dense question, but at what point does more money for the school not matter any more? What's an extra $40M going to do that hasn't been done? How much nicer can the practice facilities, dining halls, weigh rooms, etc. be made time and time again?

If this extra cash can somehow be back channeled into the NIL and distributed to players/recruits, that's when the real separation will start to occur.
At this point, no athletic department revenue can go to NIL programs.

Reactions: werdnamanhill

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
You don't have to.
Indeed. I live too far away to attend any home games besides maybe a single every year. I will kick into the collective the same way I kick into the CRTC. I know the money is going to the athletes and it will help us stay competitive. Donating to the NIL fund seems like a better way to ensure we get the athletes we want than a Ad donation to get a Skywalk across University Ave.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Iowa's swimming in $50M in debt from COVID that it owes the university. Should probably pay that back, but we all know how much that schools hates paying the bill when it comes due...

Barta, Kirk, Brands. and Fran are going to get fat salary increases with the new money. The new revenue won't make up for the fact that they'll get their as* kicked when the soft B1G West is broken up.
If I remember correctly I believe there was an article about Iowa having the worst return on investment for any AD in the country a few years back. They were top 10 -15 in total revenue for an athletic department, but had no conference titles in forever to show for it. I think that's changed a little recently, with wrestling fighting its way back tot he top, but Iowa underachieving is the norm.

Reactions: cyfan92

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’m far away as well, been signed up for the collective since it came out as I want Iowa State to remain as competitive as possible. Spare me the morality lectures, there’s always something more human people could and do spend money on.

Unless you’re going to let me audit your books, you can shove it.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
That is an accurate statement, but our real solution is getting the masses that give nothing to give something.

We lead the big 12 in the lowest percentage of grads that give to the AD. Wow.

Corporate sponsors, albeit helpful, are not the ultimate solution.
Forever True, as of Fall 2021, raised 1.542 billion. The athletes should take advantage of a great university. Many have.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think the community events and charity work while noble and I do hope it continues, it does seem like an round about way of justifying this to ourselves when most other schools aren't enforcing the same requirements on themselves. We all know what this is for, no point in sugar coating it and making things more difficult for ourselves when we're already at a disadvantage on on every other front.

Actually according to friendly Spartan Michigan is taking a approach similar to us.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
No one is going to be forced to contribute to this thing. If everybody on this board just cancelled their Netflix sub and put that 15.00/mo toward this we’d be in great shape. Instead we get these ridiculous moral outrage posts.

No one said you have to like it. Nobody actually does like it. But this is part of the game now whether you like it or not. Listen to the Lazard interview if you have any doubts about what even a Cyclone legend would do in an NIL world.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I wish the university would do like an “all-invlusive package at like 10k a year for a family with a $2500 joining fee or something for everything; parking for everything, food and drink covered at every event you attend, special apparel, special access, make it like a Country Club.

Interesting concept

Reactions: Gunnerclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Don't know why people have to be so shittey about this on both sides. Let people do what they want. If people want to donate to the collective great. If not great. No one should tell anybody else how they should spend their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.