You get one restaurant that’s closed in Ames to come back…

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
There was food there for sure. I'd say early 2000s they got busted for selling under age and had to shut down Cys for a while.
They remodeled and I don't know what came after that.
Paddy's used to have food too and then they went to burgers only one night a week.

Been eons since I've been in either place.
There was food there for sure. I'd say early 2000s they got busted for selling under age and had to shut down Cys for a while.
They remodeled and I don't know what came after that.
Paddy's used to have food too and then they went to burgers only one night a week.

Been eons since I've been in either place.
Cys was famous for a wet t-shirt contest and probably got in trouble for that, too.

Reactions: Ingynow

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Lots of O’Malley comments which I agree with. But who remembers the Mexican restaurant in the old hotel on S. Duff called Hombres? That was really good too. Thinking it was there early to mid 90s? Was there before Johnny’s was there.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Red White and Blue was undrinkable. I had my standards.

Here is my beer drinking chart from college:

All other beers
Beast
_________________ <------- My line in the sand

Red White and Blue
There were no beers below this.

Red white and blue was sort of drinkable if it was icy cold. Meisterbrau and Strohs were a staple in my fridge. Not many people would "borrow" them. Fancy folks kept Bud light or Coors Light in their fridges.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The Ames truck stop. Buy a burger, knife, and a wallet chain at 3AM.

Truck Stop is a mighty good answer. That and Gumby's for pokey Stix and pepperoni rolls, and Old Main (despite ****** owner) for good food and local beers, plus dollar beer night with shuffleboard.
Was it Angie's? Had a lot of breakfast there that I don't remember.

When Angies first came around that was the ****. It was so ******* packed, sometimes we'd leave the bar a little early just to get a good table. Lots of post bar close hookups and after parties started at Angies. That was a good place.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lots of O’Malley comments which I agree with. But who remembers the Mexican restaurant in the old hotel on S. Duff called Ombres? That was really good too. Thinking it was there early to mid 90s? Was there before Johnny’s was there.
Was that in front of Ramada? (Where Best Buy is)

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
There was an Italian place on Lincoln Way out on the west side of town. I absolutely can’t remember what it was called. The homemade pasta was phenomenal the couple times we went there.

It looks like its a place called Big Wigs Bar now.

Brown bottle? There still might be one in Cedar Falls, there was a few yrs back.

Reactions: urb1

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
With all the Battles love remember there was a pizza place that shortly went in after? It was a deal like buy a pizza get a free movie rental.

This was also maybe when Pizza Kitchens was on Hayward too.

Lucky's Pizza and Video or something like that. I remember when they first started they really needed the business, so you could walk in at like 2:30am get a pizza for home delivery, and they'd drive you (and the pizza/dvd) home.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lucky's Pizza and Video or something like that. I remember when they first started they really needed the business, so you could walk in at like 2:30am get a pizza for home delivery, and they'd drive you (and the pizza/dvd) home.
Luckys that's right! It didn't last long but they sure did try.

Reactions: Pat

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Cys roost sign also used to say 'Don's deli' (maybe still does). Is/was this an actual deli during the day?

Yes it was, well not like with a meat case and stuff but definitely served some pretty good food. Burgers, fries, their deep fried mushrooms were good. What was the bar on top of Cy's?