Ferentz goes full arrogant

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Generally, these coaches are egomaniac control freaks. They love all of the credit when things go well (and convince their ADs to give emotional stupid contract extensions) but when things don’t go well and they get questioned, they freak out.

Campbell has been better than most but you can even see it in him with his recent special teams quote and quote about fans roasting Jace Gilbert.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
People buying that statement
stunning-brave.gif

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
U of I athletics will never replicate what it had in the decade of the 80s. Not close. Their stranglehold on the instate media and size of fanbase still stems from that era.
I agree. For that brief timeframe Iowa seemed really hip and cool. New logo, new coaches that were young and diverse. And the product on the field, mat and court were at all time highs. That era will be tough to beat.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
U of I athletics will never replicate what it had in the decade of the 80s. Not close. Their stranglehold on the instate media and size of fanbase still stems from that era.
Helps that many in the media are ******* morons and those that aren't, or at least won't toe the party line, are banished.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's so weak for media members to laud Kirk for apologizing. The guy has been facing the media for 2 decades. He knows how this **** works and he said what he meant, and meant what he said. Putting out some ridiculously forced statement "apologizing" is absolutely meaningless, and those giving him his flowers for doing so are a big part of the reason he's been allowed to do whatever he wants for the last decade.

Media members are acting like this piece of PR nonsense should be sent directly to the Library of Congress as some kind of great literary accomplishment and it's entirely laughable.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Can we please get uofi (you-uhv-eye) going as the official way we refer to that program?

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
The original questioning/reporter was a massive prick move. How would you have handled?
Kirk's only misstep was interrupting the reporters second question with, "yeah, I've noticed that". That smug defensiveness actually invites more pointed questions. One, because of Kirk's tone. And two, the content. So you've noticed. Are you going to do anything about it? Or are you not, because it is your son?

Kirk's big faux pau was after he had a night to sleep on it. And doubled down with how he really felt, when he felt comfortable enough to do so. Then the PR apology. Then speaking his mind again.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
C-Willy is buying this load. Someone please tell him not to let those people selling children’s books door to door into his house.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Kirk's only misstep was interrupting the reporters second question with, "yeah, I've noticed that". That smug defensiveness actually invites more pointed questions. One, because of Kirk's tone. And two, the content. So you've noticed. Are you going to do anything about it? Or are you not, because it is your son?

Kirk's big faux pau was after he had a night to sleep on it. And doubled down with how he really felt, when he felt comfortable enough to do so. Then the PR apology. Then speaking his mind again.
what did he say after the apology?

• Dumb
Reactions: Ayagi

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The original questioning/reporter was a massive prick move. How would you have handled?
I probably would've reflected on the fact that I make like $5M, tried to cover up a sexual assault, made up an award to give to a coach for hospitalizing players, and still have the dimwit media in this state saying I'm a great man, and that I deserve the benefit of the doubt on everything.

Then I would've probably just done the same thing - vented on the reporter, trash them as a whole, show my disdain for the entire fanbase that enables me to make $5M to average 8 wins in the weakest P5 division since its inception, knowing I can have somebody in the AD put out some crap statement that the dimwit media in this state will lap up.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I probably would've reflected on the fact that I make like $5M, tried to cover up a sexual assault, made up an award to give to a coach for hospitalizing players, and still have the dimwit media in this state saying I'm a great man, and that I deserve the benefit of the doubt on everything.

Then I would've probably just done the same thing - vented on the reporter, trash them as a whole, show my disdain for the entire fanbase that enables me to make $5M to average 8 wins in the weakest P5 division since its inception, knowing I can have somebody in the AD put out some crap statement that the dimwit media in this state will lap up.
I think he gets $7 million. Not sure what the useless relatives make.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Have we discussed kirk’s sort of walk back of the apology last night with the dolphin?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Have we discussed kirk’s sort of walk back of the apology last night with the dolphin?
Someone referred to it but not sure what he said. Hard to believe someone that old can be this immature but I guess he’s been treated like God so long, it’s hard to ever admit to a mistake

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Unfortunately the links are broken to the details of the case, but I'm sure they can be found.

Put it this way, a Hawkeye fan site called for Ferentz and Barta to resign over their actions in the aftermath of the sexual assault case.

Reactions: davegilbertson

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I do understand coaches being hyper defensive as the criticism comes very fast, there is no grace period these days. Win a championship, awesome, we love you. Miss a bowl game 9 months later, you suck, change it all. I get that that is quite the yo-yo of emotions.

With that said, you have to know that yo-yo has a lot to do with 3, 6, 8 million dollar salaries. You are paid incredible amounts in comparison, so when you are not producing/meeting expectations, it immediately feels like a whole lot is being wasted. When it reality, it is probably being wasted in the first place.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Does anyone know what he said on Hawk Talk with Dolph? I saw someone on Twitter mention Iowa reporters and their credentials but I think that was a joke.