Swimming at Iowa

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Iowa has a new coach. Will be interesting to see what it would take to rebuild. His recruiting in year 1 wasn’t too impressive, but built back the missing depth. take out diving, and the Cyclone win comfortably.
I suspect Barta might not Be funding the program quite to the level as pre Covid?

ilove Beyer Hall, but it is no longer a Power 5 level facility (hasn’t been for a while). . Ames High now has a better facility. I don’t see that changing anytime soon short of a Powerball win by someone.
I state this with honesty and respect to JP (I feel he has been the best AD ever at ISU); history has shown he has limited interest (if any) in investing in Olympic sports outside of XC & TF. -> former gymnastics coach and wrestling coach as example.

Original CyTown plans had a dedicated Volleyball/Wrestling facility; I assume it could easily be used for gymnastics as well?

I think that facility is no longer in the master plan for CT; however, I would love to see the concept come to fruition!

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I state this with honesty and respect to JP (I feel he has been the best AD ever at ISU); history has shown he has limited interest (if any) in investing in Olympic sports outside of XC & TF. -> former gymnastics coach and wrestling coach as example.

Original CyTown plans had a dedicated Volleyball/Wrestling facility; I assume it could easily be used for gymnastics as well?

I think that facility is no longer in the master plan for CT; however, I would love to see the concept come to fruition!
If you want to do all the 'other" sports get out your pocketbook.

Reactions: wxman1 and BCClone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The fact that you're cherry picking two instances from over a dozen years ago doesn't help your cause. The Kindler thing was about 6 months into his tenure, when ISU was making around $7M from TV/conference, not the $40M of today. There were also much higher priorities (football) at the time. Sanderson basically got a blank check at Penn State, that ISU couldn't match.

In the last 10 years, plus the next ~5:
Golf - new facility
Soccer - new facility; field conversion from turf to grass 2023
Softball - new facility
Outdoor track (which ISU didn't even have) - new facility
Indoor track - new surfaces periodically over time; video screen, scoreboard
Cross country - finish line and signage improvements
Tennis - new practice facility; moving again to new competition/practice facility soon
Volleyball - taking over tennis practice facility
Gymnastics - planned remodel/renovation of practice gym at Beyer
Wrestling - practice facility has had a couple of renovations; alleged plan of an addition to Lied in the future

Swimming/Diving is the only Olympic sport that hasn't had some major facility upgrades, because you can't really "upgrade" a pool without building a new one.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: wxman1 and psycln11

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The fact that you're cherry picking two instances from over a dozen years ago doesn't help your cause. The Kindler thing was about 6 months into his tenure, when ISU was making around $7M from TV/conference, not the $40M of today. There were also much higher priorities (football) at the time. Sanderson basically got a blank check at Penn State, that ISU couldn't match.

Golf - new facility
Softball - new facility
Tennis - new practice facility; moving again to new competition/practice facility soon
Wrestling - practice facility has had a couple of renovations; alleged plan of an addition to Lied in the future

Swimming/Diving is the only Olympic sport that hasn't had some major facility upgrades, because you can't really "upgrade" a pool without building a new one.
The new performance center is not just football either, it’s all sports. As football and MBB gets new things, the Olympic sports get their 10 year old things which are major improvements to what they have.

JP didn’t have money to do anything when he showed up. He still is limited compared to other P5s but is improving as much as possible as fast as possible.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

Golf - new facility
Softball - new facility

I acknowledge the two examples I listed were a long time ago. The investment in a soccer and outdoor track complex was to support T&F, again T&F and XC investment.

Cael wanted to stay; however, he and JP were not aligned in the future of the program - fact. The timing with the PSU opportunity was fortuitous.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
The new performance center is not just football either, it’s all sports. As football and MBB gets new things, the Olympic sports get their 10 year old things which are major improvements to what they have.

JP didn’t have money to do anything when he showed up. He still is limited compared to other P5s but is improving as much as possible as fast as possible.
Agreed

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
JP didn’t have money to do anything when he showed up.

This is what people usually fail to grasp. The total athletics budget the year before JP started was $27M -- nearly 10% of which came from general university support.

Now, ISU cashes a ~$40M check each year just from TV/NCAA/Big 12 distribution.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I acknowledge the two examples I listed were a long time ago. The investment in a soccer and outdoor track complex was to support T&F, again T&F and XC investment.

So just because the complex has a track, it discounts that soccer and softball also got badly-needed upgrades?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Cael wanted to stay; however, he and JP were not aligned in the future of the program - fact. The timing with the PSU opportunity was fofortuitous.
We don't make money off of wrestling and couldn't afford Cael.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yeah I think we all would have loved to retain him but wasn't the rumor that PS doubled his salary?
If he thinks that JP didn't want to win titles he is dumber than we think. We were not and still are not in a position to compete with PSU.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Golf - new facility
Softball - new facility

While not as substantive of improvements, Beyer Pool is much better than it was 15 years ago. Not dark and dingy with a massive faded flag. New scoreboard and recordboard.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
While not as substantive of improvements, Beyer Pool is much better than it was 15 years ago. Not dark and dingy with a massive faded flag. New scoreboard and recordboard.

Which is pretty much the limit of what can realistically be done in there -- audio system, score/video, graphics, banners.

Reactions: keepngoal

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Why should Iowa crush ISU??
Funding and facilities. then through adding conference support of the sport. Easy choice for a recruit. Hell…. UNI might be on par with ISU swimming… its that bad.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Agreed…. But I’m only giving a golf clap for it.

Reactions: drlove