Iowa/Swarm Split?

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Ok so I did a pretty poor job there, but in my post I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the guy running the Iowa NIL. He's the one I was referring to as letting his fandom basically ruin his daily life, he's the one I was suggesting go play with his kids. Not you. Again, my fault as I can see how it looks like it's directed at you, but it wasn't.
Ah gotcha, no problem man. **** happens online. You're usually pretty chill so I was very confused when I saw that at first

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That's doesn't make sense.

If I want to hire an athlete to endorse my business (even if I never actually have them endorse it and just pay them) there is nothing that requires me to give the same opportunity to a FB player and a tennis palyer.

This notion that Collectives are an extension of the University is a stretch.

People don't really use the collectives to endorse their businesses using individual athletes. My understanding has been that those are separate, and more straightforward NIL events.

The collectives are for regular fans to contribute to a general fund that can distribute some money to athletes for staying involved in their community. And set up that way, Title IX issues can come into play in my mind.

Maybe Blum can provide more insight on how that works, but I get the sense that it really is the Wild West when it comes to that stuff..

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ok so I did a pretty poor job there, but in my post I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the guy running the Iowa NIL. He's the one I was referring to as letting his fandom basically ruin his daily life, he's the one I was suggesting go play with his kids. Not you. Again, my fault as I can see how it looks like it's directed at you, but it wasn't.
I read it that way but then wasn't sure when everyone jumped you.

• Agree
Reactions: davegilbertson

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

I read it the way that you meant, but, in fairness, “Go play with your kids,” is pretty sound advice, regardless…

…says the guy posting on 12/24.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
To say there are any rules governing the pay for play that has developed is a stretch on any front.
Lawyers are going to feast on lawsuits over the next few years untill the NCAA gets taken out of the revenue sports mix and some kind of commission is formed that might have a chance at governing the elite franchises. Rich will get richer no matter what.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Who are they going to sue? The collective? Donors? And on what grounds? Certainly not T9.
You have ADs working with donors, and they are very open about their realignment of donor dollars. Because they have so much media dollars they are steering donors that were giving to the AD (subject to title IX) to shift some of those dollars to collectives (which are not at this point).

This was very predictable. Who knows what would happen in a case, but if ADs are directing donors to collectives instead of donating to the ADs, then there are grounds that the AD is circumventing title IX through a collective. I could see at least some civil suits.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and Kinch

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If this dude isn't trolling Iowa may about to be in serious trouble

Why would someone like that post something like this in a public place? Put it in a text to a few buddies. Not in a place where anyone can see it and run with it as they want. This would be incredibly damaging to his own interests. Thus, I'm doubting its authenticity.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Why would someone like that post something like this in a public place? Put it in a text to a few buddies. Not in a place where anyone can see it and run with it as they want. This would be incredibly damaging to his own interests. Thus, I'm doubting its authenticity.
Or, some people really are that dumb

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
People don't really use the collectives to endorse their businesses using individual athletes. My understanding has been that those are separate, and more straightforward NIL events.

The collectives are for regular fans to contribute to a general fund that can distribute some money to athletes for staying involved in their community. And set up that way, Title IX issues can come into play in my mind.

Maybe Blum can provide more insight on how that works, but I get the sense that it really is the Wild West when it comes to that stuff..

Maybe that wasn't a good example. Try this - If I want to start a Go Fund Me to raise a bunch of money to give to ISU FB players and the Tennis team gets mad and wants to sue me they'd have no basis.

The Collective is a stand alone organization and it's leaders can determine how they want to distribute the funds they collect.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Maybe that wasn't a good example. Try this - If I want to start a Go Fund Me to raise a bunch of money to give to ISU FB players and the Tennis team gets mad and wants to sue me they'd have no basis.

The Collective is a stand alone organization and it's leaders can determine how they want to distribute the funds they collect.
That’s correct. If Pollard tells other donors looking to give to the athletic department to instead give to the collective, and the collective money all goes to FB and MBB, I could the basis for a suit against the athletic dept.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That’s correct. If Pollard tells other donors looking to give to the athletic department to instead give to the collective, and the collective money all goes to FB and MBB, I could the basis for a suit against the athletic dept.

If an AD put anything like that in writing they deserve to be fired on the spot.

How is a Collective giving money to certain athletes different than the Gridiron Club giving money to football?

Reactions: GMackey32

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Here are two additional likely reasons why Iowa did not cooperate in passing along donor info
*If they pass the requested info along to one outside organization (the collective); then they would have to provide it to all others who inquire. *The donors have an expectation of their contact info having a level of privacy.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
FWIW
That's how I read it

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Give it some time, its going to occur. I would say that the athletes in the non-revenue sports will sue the collective to get their "equal share" of the revenue.

When the school is sharing their data base of season ticket holders, and providing that information to the collective, then it's difficult to say that that the school and the collective are separate parties. Why would the EIU athletic department refuse to give the season ticket holders list to the collective if they were not concerned about Title IX problems in the future, like they have had in the past?

This is America, you can sue anyone, that does not mean you are going to win the case but does EIU want to have another public relation problem over woman's sports and the Olympic sports, their actions today, says they are not willing to fight that fight.

Equal share? Women sports and men's tennis lose money. It wouldn't be fair to give women athletes or olympic athletes an equal amount of money.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Collectives aren't government affiliated. They have no obligation to pay any attention to Title IX.
True. But there probably university rules that come into play. Should a university share donor contact and donor level information with a outside organization? I hope ISU isn't out there selling my information to 3rd parties.

Also, what type of oversight is there over NIL Collectives? Is their financial information available to Universities, donors to the NIL and general public. Similar to what Charity Watch does.

The University of Iowa's legal folks might be driving actions by the Athletic Dept. What would prevent Mr. Swarm from taking money from donors and spending donated money on a lavish lifestyle for himself and/or employees of the Collective?