After three conference games, here's a shot at power ranking ...

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This should be the year to get Ku (where have I read that before?). They're relying heavily on a freshman, GDick. There's not the customary strength in the post. And they're coming off a natty. Time to dethrone.
Gradey isn't your average Freshman. He is a lottery pick that might be the best shooter in the country. I would compare this team to the team that had Josh Jackson. Both had a stud Freshman surrounded by a lot of experienced players.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Gradey isn't your average Freshman. He is a lottery pick that might be the best shooter in the country. I would compare this team to the team that had Josh Jackson. Both had a stud Freshman surrounded by a lot of experienced players.

He is really, really good. I agree on him being a lottery pick. We can all dream of dethroning KU, but I'd be shocked to see it happen this year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Almost 4 games in now across the board. The league might have a true bottom. Texas Tech, OU, WVU, and Oklahoma State digging deep holes for themselves early on. Oklahoma looks capable of playing spoiler but Tech looks like a turd. I admittedly haven't seen much of Oklahoma State or West Virginia, but given the results so far, I'd guess only one of those 4 will be punching their ticket to the dance come March.

I don't include Baylor in that group even though they are winless right now. Scott Drew has to be able to figure it out, right?

Reactions: surly

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Almost 4 games in now across the board. The league might have a true bottom. Texas Tech, OU, WVU, and Oklahoma State digging deep holes for themselves early on. Oklahoma looks capable of playing spoiler but Tech looks like a turd. I admittedly haven't seen much of Oklahoma State or West Virginia, but given the results so far, I'd guess only one of those 4 will be punching their ticket to the dance come March.

I don't include Baylor in that group even though they are winless right now. Scott Drew has to be able to figure it out, right?
I think league gets 7 teams in. It’s hard for me to see Tech make a run at this point. WVU seems like a long shot. One of the OK schools will find a groove. The other will miss.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know this isn't gospel, but Torvik has eight making the tournament right now --

#2 Kansas
#3 Texas
#3 Iowa State
#3 Kansas State
#6 West Virginia
#7 TCU
#8 Baylor
#9 Oklahoma State

Oklahoma is the 7th team out.

Texas Tech is the 19th team out.

That would imply OU makes the NIT comfortably and TTU would be on the NIT bubble.

EDIT: Forgot Texas. Gee, I wonder why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I know this isn't gospel, but Torvik has eight making the tournament right now --

#2 Kansas
#3 Iowa State
#3 Kansas State
#6 West Virginia
#7 TCU
#8 Baylor
#9 Oklahoma State

Oklahoma is the 7th team out.

Texas Tech is the 19th team out.

That would imply OU makes the NIT comfortably and TTU would be on the NIT bubble.
The computers love WV for some reason. I don't think that they're that good. Baylor will figure things out and be close to a top half team. You forgot Texas here...they'll make a run at KU. ISU and KSU are in the same boat. Both playing well right now, but the league will catch up to us and we'll pick up some Ls. KU is kind of playing with fire. TCU will win games mostly when Miles goes off. Both the OK schools will end up being spoilers and bubble teams. My prediction would be:

1. KU
2. UT
3T. ISU
3T. KSU
5. TCU
6. Baylor
7. OSU
8. OU
9. WV
10. TT

ISU can afford a loss in Lawrence Saturday, but that UT game Tuesday is huge.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The computers love WV for some reason. I don't think that they're that good. Baylor will figure things out and be close to a top half team. You forgot Texas here...they'll make a run at KU. ISU and KSU are in the same boat. Both playing well right now, but the league will catch up to us and we'll pick up some Ls. KU is kind of playing with fire. TCU will win games mostly when Miles goes off. Both the OK schools will end up being spoilers and bubble teams. My prediction would be:

1. KU
2. UT
3T. ISU
3T. KSU
5. TCU
6. Baylor
7. OSU
8. OU
9. WV
10. TT

ISU can afford a loss in Lawrence Saturday, but that UT game Tuesday is huge.

That you for pointing out my eyes skipped Texas. Maybe I just hate them that much.

I edited my post above to fix that. Torvik has them as a #3 seed right now.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Kansas did not look good yesterday at home. I think we have a great shot in that game if we keep playing the way we’ve been playing.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Kansas did not look good yesterday at home. I think we have a great shot in that game if we keep playing the way we’ve been playing.
Ku often looks bad in winning which they do at a mind-numbing pace. They just believe, don't they.

oSu was a handful last night in Manhattan. They are long and athletic. I can see why they played both Texas and Ku tough but lost.

So, a serious sort starts Saturday with Ku hosting the Clones and the Frogs da Cats. Then Texas/ISU and Ku/K-State. Those games will help clear things up or muddle further. I will say that if Ku sweeps, it's a B12 curtain call.

1. Ku - until proven otherwise
2. ISU - curb-stomped TxT
3. K-State - held serve
4. Texas - host TCU tonight
5. TCU - see Texas
6. Baylor - Drew will fix it
7. oSu -need Cisse back or Mike gone
8. OU - remind me of Bruce Weber's teams
9. WVU - Bob's at dinner
10. TxT - out to lunch

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Entertaining game between Texas and the frogs. Your guy - Hunter - sat on the bench most of the second half. I chuckled.

Earlier, Baylor gets back on track while Huggins wallows in the cellar: 4-18 over the past B12 season plus this. Maybe he and Cal need to hang 'em up, IDK?

1545436322-1545428288-converse-1545428281.jpg

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Looking more and more like Big 12 will have maximum of 7 tournament bids, perhaps closer to 6.

Perception-wise, that might be better because the seedings would be better overall and advancement potential higher .... too deep beyond that and it'll be double-digit seed/First Four material.

Maybe B12 NET level deserves having 70 or 80 percent of teams make it, but analysts rarely note percentage bids from a league, only the pure number of bids.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

The key is keeping it a half court affair and staying off the line as much as possible.

When we've struggled (by and large) it's when we've been pounded on the boards (earlier in the season...Uconn as an example) and when we have poor shot selection. The combination of these two leads to transition opportunities. Even in games in which we played well (overall), teams generally mounted runs primarily using it. If we play smart and keep it to a half court game, where we are dominant, we can win if we make our open looks.

We are bound to have a stinker where Grill, Kalscheur and Holmes all shoot poorly (regardless of selection). Hopefully that egg isn't laid on Saturday.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Oh you think the difference between winning and losing at KU comes down to the players? I have some stories.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Thru 1-14. Allowing myself no ties. (and some slots are razor-thin)

1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. Iowa State
4. Kansas State
5. TCU
6. Baylor
7. Oklahoma
8. West Virginia
9. Oklahoma State
10. Texas Tech
I honestly think we are #2, and I'm not sure Texas is #3. If we play on Tuesday like we played today, we blow UT's doors off.