After three conference games, here's a shot at power ranking ...

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
That list looks about right. You could argue ISU over Texas and I think Baylor will land above TCU when all is said and done but wouldn’t disagree with it right now.

I think conference is breaking into three tiers at this point:

KU, ISU, Texas, KState
Baylor, TCU
WVU, OU, OSU, and Tech

Crazy thing is that any of those at the “bottom” will give anyone trouble on any night

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
1. Kansas
2. Iowa State
3. Kansas State
4. Texas
5. TCU
6. OU
7. Baylor
8. OSU
9. Tech
10. WVU

Pretty easy for me except 9 and 10.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
That list looks about right. You could argue ISU over Texas and I think Baylor will land above TCU when all is said and done but wouldn’t disagree with it right now.

I think conference is breaking into three tiers at this point:

KU, ISU, Texas, KState
Baylor, TCU
WVU, OU, OSU, and Tech

Crazy thing is that any of those at the “bottom” will give anyone trouble on any night
This Sunday morning upon reflection, I see two not three tiers. Tuesday may move K-State and/or Texas, IDK.

Tier 1: Ku, ISU, TCU, K-State, Texas, Baylor - likely NCAA tournament
Tier 2: WVU, OU, oSu, TxT - likely not

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
These ranked teams (44%) all lost Saturday:

#5 Tennessee
#9 Arizona
#11 K-State
#14 Iowa State
#16 Miami
#15 Arkansas
#18 Wisconsin
#19 Providence
#20 Missouri
#23 San Diego State
#24 Duke

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This Sunday morning upon reflection, I see two not three tiers. Tuesday may move K-State and/or Texas, IDK.

Tier 1: Ku, ISU, TCU, K-State, Texas, Baylor - likely NCAA tournament
Tier 2: WVU, OU, oSu, TxT - likely not
I think the Big 12 is too strong to not get at least 7 teams, unless the top of the conference absolutely dominates the bottom, and that seems unlikely.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
ISU/UT is one of the several razor-thins ... Feels like it's close to even. I wanna pound them Tuesday (although I'd accept a win at the buzzer, if that's what it take)
I'd take a win at the buzzer too, but I give our guys the edge because they are more consistent. Not sure how a team gives up 116 points at home if they're exerting any kind of effort in that one.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Both land grants need to hold serve tomorrow on the home court or this B12 is going to get completely out of hand with a Ku waltz. ISU should certainly handle Texas which is a good shooting lack defense outfit.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
  1. Kansas (1)
  2. Kansas State (2)
  3. Texas (4)
  4. Iowa State (3)
  5. TCU (5)
  6. Baylor (8)
  7. Oklahoma (7)
  8. Oklahoma State (6)
  9. West Virginia (9)
  10. Texas Tech (10)

THOUGHTS: Kansas stays atop the rankings after two more close wins. Despite them getting competition from basically everyone they play, the end result is still the same - wins! That's what matters the most, and the Jayhawks are doing it better than anyone in the league. They have the most Quad One wins AND the most Quad Two wins of anyone in the Big 12.

The next tier goes No. 2 through No. 4. I had some debate about some of this because, according ot the NET, Iowa State should be No. 2. But it's Texas right behind them (one spot) with more Quad One wins, and Kansas State three spots behind the (No. 14) and they're 4-1 in Quad One games, which is better than the Cyclones (4-3).

I was really torn on how to put this group, but just know they are VERY close. I stuck with Kansas State at No. 2 since they did go to Texas and beat the Longhorns. So I feel like they must stay ahead of Texas for now.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
  1. Kansas (1)
  2. Kansas State (2)
  3. Texas (4)
  4. Iowa State (3)
  5. TCU (5)
  6. Baylor (8)
  7. Oklahoma (7)
  8. Oklahoma State (6)
  9. West Virginia (9)
  10. Texas Tech (10)

THOUGHTS: Kansas stays atop the rankings after two more close wins. Despite them getting competition from basically everyone they play, the end result is still the same - wins! That's what matters the most, and the Jayhawks are doing it better than anyone in the league. They have the most Quad One wins AND the most Quad Two wins of anyone in the Big 12.

The next tier goes No. 2 through No. 4. I had some debate about some of this because, according ot the NET, Iowa State should be No. 2. But it's Texas right behind them (one spot) with more Quad One wins, and Kansas State three spots behind the (No. 14) and they're 4-1 in Quad One games, which is better than the Cyclones (4-3).

I was really torn on how to put this group, but just know they are VERY close. I stuck with Kansas State at No. 2 since they did go to Texas and beat the Longhorns. So I feel like they must stay ahead of Texas for now.

A week ago maybe, there's no way you can move K-State above Iowa State after this last week.

We completely controlled TCU on their home court while you guys got destroyed. Then we follow that up with a 30 point win and a last second loss in Lawrence and we are 4th?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
  1. Kansas (1)
  2. Kansas State (2)
  3. Texas (4)
  4. Iowa State (3)
  5. TCU (5)
  6. Baylor (8)
  7. Oklahoma (7)
  8. Oklahoma State (6)
  9. West Virginia (9)
  10. Texas Tech (10)

Funny. ISU is the clear #2. The rest of you are wannabes.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

Funny. ISU is the clear #2. The rest of you are wannabes.

I don't think we're clear #2 yet. Lets see the game tomorrow night. If we beat Texas like I expect we will, then I'm on board saying we're the clear #2. That said, I would currently put us at #2, followed by Texas then KState. KSU vs TCU was ugly for the purple kitties.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
  1. Kansas (1)
  2. Kansas State (2)
  3. Texas (4)
  4. Iowa State (3)
  5. TCU (5)
  6. Baylor (8)
  7. Oklahoma (7)
  8. Oklahoma State (6)
  9. West Virginia (9)
  10. Texas Tech (10)

Power rankings are in the moment. This week ISU had a way better week than K State. That’s not even a debate. And if the roles were reversed I would say the same thing that ISU should not be ahead of K State. When K State went into Austin and Waco and won they were my top-ranked team in the Big 12 based on that week. But you can’t have K State number 2 when you got absolutely demolished by TCU, who Iowa State beat on the road and controlled the entire game, as well as absolutely trucking Tech at home and losing basically at the buzzer in Lawrence this week.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Entertaining game between Texas and the frogs. Your guy - Hunter - sat on the bench most of the second half. I chuckled.

Earlier, Baylor gets back on track while Huggins wallows in the cellar: 4-18 over the past B12 season plus this. Maybe he and Cal need to hang 'em up, IDK?

1545436322-1545428288-converse-1545428281.jpg
Did not realize it had gotten that bad for Huggy. He is bordering on Prohm level performance over that stretch.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Did not realize it had gotten that bad for Huggy. He is bordering on Prohm level performance over that stretch.
He probably should look at hanging it up after this year to protect his health. I saw a little of their game against Oklahoma Saturday and he looked like he was coaching from a sauna.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron