After three conference games, here's a shot at power ranking ...

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
  1. Kansas (1)
  2. Kansas State (2)
  3. Texas (4)
  4. Iowa State (3)
  5. TCU (5)
  6. Baylor (8)
  7. Oklahoma (7)
  8. Oklahoma State (6)
  9. West Virginia (9)
  10. Texas Tech (10)

THOUGHTS: Kansas stays atop the rankings after two more close wins. Despite them getting competition from basically everyone they play, the end result is still the same - wins! That's what matters the most, and the Jayhawks are doing it better than anyone in the league. They have the most Quad One wins AND the most Quad Two wins of anyone in the Big 12.

The next tier goes No. 2 through No. 4. I had some debate about some of this because, according ot the NET, Iowa State should be No. 2. But it's Texas right behind them (one spot) with more Quad One wins, and Kansas State three spots behind the (No. 14) and they're 4-1 in Quad One games, which is better than the Cyclones (4-3).

I was really torn on how to put this group, but just know they are VERY close. I stuck with Kansas State at No. 2 since they did go to Texas and beat the Longhorns. So I feel like they must stay ahead of Texas for now.

K-state has good resume of wins. I think the conference is in tiers

1 - KU

2 - ISU/KSU/UT/TCU
2.5 - BU

3 - OU/OSU/WV/TT

I'd rank it based on a combination of resume and predictive..

1) KU
2) ISU
3) KSU
4) TCU
5) UT - IN the 40's on Torvik since Beard was fired
6) BU - I think they flip with UT in a week
7) OU
8) OSU
9) WV
10) TT

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I have a pretty high tolerance for respectful disagreement. 2-4 is debatable in my eyes, and I have my perspective.
Let's see, ISU is ranked higher in AP, Coaches, NET, Kenpom, BPI, Torvik. ISU had a much better week last week and the most directly comparable game, @TCU, was a win for ISU and a blowout loss for KSU. Plus the whole reasoning for Surly ranking KSU ahead of ISU, 3 Q1 losses for ISU vs 1 Q1 loss for KSU, completely ignores the fact that KSU has by far the worst loss between the 2 against Butler, which is a Q2 loss. It's a BS troll job.

Last edited:

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I haven’t been all that impressed with Texas with or without Beard. They have talent but they have too many guys that need to dominate the ball on offense. Carr is going to shoot as many times as he can and Allen’s game is clear out and let him iso. Hunter is hit or miss but has a tendency to get lost with the other volume shooters on the roster. Their bigs are athletic but nothing spectacular. Just a weird team.

Maybe I’m biased because I hate Carr’s game. Never been a fan of a guy that just chucks it up from anywhere as often as he wants.

Reactions: dahliaclone

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Let's see, ISU is ranked higher in AP, Coaches, NET, Kenpom, BPI, Torvik. ISU had a much better week last week and the most directly comparable game, @TCU, was a win for ISU and a blowout loss for KSU. Plus the whole reasoning for Surly ranking KSU ahead of ISU, 3 Q1 losses for ISU vs 1 Q1 loss for KSU, completely ignores the fact that KSU has by far the worst loss between the 2 against Butler, which is a Q2 loss. It's a BS troll job.
I see it as playful intra-rival banter, homerism, or wrong take at worst. I don't take it too seriously. Definitely not going to get bent out of shape over it. Why does that make me an idiot?

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
that wasn’t Surly’s ranking, he just posted the ranking from that 247 article.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I haven’t been all that impressed with Texas with or without Beard. They have talent but they have too many guys that need to dominate the ball on offense. Carr is going to shoot as many times as he can and Allen’s game is clear out and let him iso. Hunter is hit or miss but has a tendency to get lost with the other volume shooters on the roster. Their bigs are athletic but nothing spectacular. Just a weird team.

Maybe I’m biased because I hate Carr’s game. Never been a fan of a guy that just chucks it up from anywhere as often as he wants.
Agree, but thus far they've pulled out wins in those games save KSU that I've not been impressed with.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Reading comp/recall not too great round these parts unless like=love.

What value does ^ this add? I've never seen anything hostile, mean spirited or unkind from Surly but have from plenty ISU fans on this site.
But starting a completely new thread about how you like Surly adds a ton of value. Cool story.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Reading comp/recall not too great round these parts unless like=love.

What value does ^ this add? I've never seen anything hostile, mean spirited or unkind from Surly but have from plenty ISU fans on this site.
About as much as your post. None. But you go, Dave...tell us how you know better than those with more experience and contacts on the matter.

Last edited:

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
About as much as your post. None. But you go, Dave...tell us how you know better than those with more experience and contacts on the matter.
Im not saying i know better. Sharing ny perspective and asking geberal cobference foe interaction. Do ppl hate all conf fans? That was my post with a disclaimer that I don't hate, but like that particular fan.

Answers to specific questions of "why such hostility" have been weak at best.

If they're breaking the comm guidelines or being beyond obnoxious after multiple warnings, they should be banned.

• Haha
Reactions: CloneLawman

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
How dare CF put Iowa State ahead of KSU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron