Next Big 12 Commissioner? - Brett Yormark (Roc Nation)

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Yormark at it again. (SOOO glad he is on board - pay the man).

Mostly a business/talent discussion but he has some of our fellow Big 12 fan bases excited as he talks about "Big 12 Mexico" and a "Big 12 Concert Tour". For those with short attention spans. Turn to the 5:30 mark and he talks about ideas he had BEFORE taking the job that he is still trying to execute.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Yormark at it again. (SOOO glad he is on board - pay the man).

Mostly a business/talent discussion but he has some of our fellow Big 12 fan bases excited as he talks about "Big 12 Mexico" and a "Big 12 Concert Tour". For those with short attention spans. Turn to the 5:30 mark and he talks about ideas he had BEFORE taking the job that he is still trying to execute.

That was an excellent video! Really gives insight into Brett Yormark's mindset. Thanks for sharing it!

I come from a very competitive work environment where innovation is vital. In fact, our unofficial motto was "innovate or die". Yes, there's risk involved when it comes to innovation, but I've always felt there is much greater risk in complacency. Innovation was always the fun part of my job, the part that generates passion. And while I worked extremely hard, it didn't feel so much like work because of the passion.

I'm so happy that the Big 12 Conference is not afraid to be innovative!

• Agree
Reactions: Clone83

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I wish ISU did more behind the scenes stuff on their YouTube channel...
But if the conference signs a deal for a show on ESPN once a week during the fall camp or off-season that hits on each team in the conference I think that'd be cool. Kinda like Hard Knocks.
I think one of the best characteristics of this team and coaching staff is that everyone are friends and it's a family atmosphere and any way we can get that message and vibe to recruits and fans should be done.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Another progressive proposal to increase the Big 12 brand by BK.

It's interesting because some of the stuff they want to do would require NCAA rule changes.

Currently:
*Coaches aren't allowed to be mic'd up for media transmission.
*No in-game interviews except for halftime.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's interesting because some of the stuff they want to do would require NCAA rule changes.

Currently:

**** the NCAA!

Do something about it, ya pricks

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

Currently:

"See you in court."

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
What are everyone's thoughts on Big 12 in Mexico City? I don't hate it as much as Chris does if it is just a game or 2 a year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
What are everyone's thoughts on Big 12 in Mexico City? I don't hate it as much as Chris does if it is just a game or 2 a year.
Skeptical that it amounts to anything but think it's worth a shot. If it does grow the brand and increase revenue great, if not our fan bases lose a home game. Seems like big upside potential and small downside risk.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think an interesting question would be: is the NFL considering across the border teams? There's certainly a market that could be exploited. And, if so, does Yormark see this? He already tends to be ahead of the game. Let's see where this goes.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I don't think most Americans know how popular American football is in Mexico, and also their own college sports (not as much as here, but it's growing). There are a ton of people in Mexico City and Monterrey (wealthy, business-centric places) who look to the US culturally. I think it could shock some people how much interest a "top level American college game" would attract in those two cities.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Worth a shot. I don't think the detractors are seeing the potential or the big picture here.
Gotta be careful you don’t destroy your brand by being a carnival act as well. Not saying any of this is doing that, but there’s innovation and there’s sideshow.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Gotta be careful you don’t destroy your brand by being a carnival act as well. Not saying any of this is doing that, but there’s innovation and there’s sideshow.
That's a fair point, but if you are looking to increase your league's visibility and value, you're going to have to try some things. IMO, there is more upside than downside to doing that.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
If the Big 12 did 1 game a year so that ISU is only down there once every 6 years then fine, but it better drive revenue from the lost home game every 12 years.

My wife is originally from the state just south of Mexico City with family in Mexico City, so if we play there I might have to go and buy them all tickets.

Reactions: NWICY

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I'd use the opportunity to visit Mexico City. Not sure how many other big 12 fans would do the same. I definitely don't want it to be a regular thing. And a preseason or exhibition type deal would be better but I don't think that's allowed under the rules now.
I would care less if basketball did a game down there but losing one of 7 home games is tough, and I don't think ADs like Pollard would be pleased especially with the success of Cytown being somewhat dependent on home games.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The status quo got the Big 12 nowhere fast.

Might as well try something different, or a one-off here and there. If it works, great. If not, no big loss.

• Agree
Reactions: TheHelgo and SCNCY

Help Support Us

Become a patron