Next Big 12 Commissioner? - Brett Yormark (Roc Nation)

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Gotta be careful you don’t destroy your brand by being a carnival act as well. Not saying any of this is doing that, but there’s innovation and there’s sideshow.
Big 10 has already had international games so I don't think that's a concern. I also think Mexico makes way more sense than Ireland.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS and TheHelgo

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Big 10 has already had international games so I don't think that's a concern. I also think Mexico makes way more sense than Ireland.
It was their 2 worst teams, but that’s valid.

Mexico City is on a lot of pro sports lists as well.

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
Skeptical that it amounts to anything but think it's worth a shot. If it does grow the brand and increase revenue great, if not our fan bases lose a home game. Seems like big upside potential and small downside risk.
Hispanics have been our 2nd largest ethnic group as a nation, so helping them become fans of college football is not a bad idea. I do, however, recall how horrible the field condition was for the Chiefs and the Rams when they played in Mexico City years ago. BY will need to make sure the field does not lead to injuries of our Big 12 players!

• Agree
Reactions: JCity

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I don't think most Americans know how popular American football is in Mexico, and also their own college sports (not as much as here, but it's growing). There are a ton of people in Mexico City and Monterrey (wealthy, business-centric places) who look to the US culturally. I think it could shock some people how much interest a "top level American college game" would attract in those two cities.
I agree with this. I know it’s not the same but I was talking to a couple of guys from Brazil on a business trip one time. They were probably late 20s at the time. I was shocked to learn they loved fantasy football and this was like 6 years ago. NFL is growing big time in the Latino markets.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I agree with this. I know it’s not the same but I was talking to a couple of guys from Brazil on a business trip one time. They were probably late 20s at the time. I was shocked to learn they loved fantasy football and this was like 6 years ago. NFL is growing big time in the Latino markets.
I can vouch for this.

One of my colleagues from Mexico is more into Fantasy Football than anyone I know in the States.

I think if we do this in moderation (more than a single game a year for the whole conference but not so much that is erodes the treasured college atmosphere) it can be huge. Imagine owning the Latin America football fan (not futball), college basketball fan, etc.

I think the NFL has gone global more to promote the brand than for expansion and this could do the same.