Tap Rooms Iowa

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Worst beer in the metro went to 1717 or mistress, fox had some decent beers.
Well they've been closed for awhile, which left Fox as the worst in the metro. Not sure who now is in last place. Probably Twisted Vine.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Not a taproom but global brew is closing out in WDM/Waukee. Can't believe they couldn't make it work, they always had a nice tap list.
Damn this sucks. Enjoyed going there, having a couple beers and then getting 7 stone. Place always seemed full in the summer. Served as a pseudo waiting room for Barn town lol

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Kinship does everything well except make an actually tasty beer. I wouldnt water my lawn with some of their shít
I like their Summer Lager and Annie.
Agree non of their beers are ones I really seek out though.

Their location and building are awesome though.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Not a taproom but global brew is closing out in WDM/Waukee. Can't believe they couldn't make it work, they always had a nice tap list.

Shocked about Global. Second best place in the metro for beer selection outside of Bait Shop and there really isn’t anything like it out west. They got some obscure and really good taps that no one else had. Only negative was lack of food. Closing 6/29.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Worst beer in the metro went to 1717 or mistress, fox had some decent beers.

I liked the quaint and small atmosphere of Fox but when we went there in April, they still had the same beers from the fall. And only like 8 of them. Creativity and quantity of selection is really important these days and Fox didn’t have either. But congrats to them for making it this long in a fully saturated market.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
I liked the quaint and small atmosphere of Fox but when we went there in April, they still had the same beers from the fall. And only like 8 of them. Creativity and quantity of selection is really important these days and Fox didn’t have either. But congrats to them for making it this long in a fully saturated market.
Yeah I was actually surprised they lasted this long, because you barely heard anyone talk about them.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
More Lua sounds good to me. It’s in the Valley Junction area so I wonder if part of the decision to close Fox was based on this knowledge.

IMG_4569.jpeg

Reactions: Cyjacks

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
From what I understand, the owner of Barntown told the property owner that if they allowed Global to open a kitchen, Barntown would move somewhere else, so Global unfortunately had no other choice. Pretty sad, as Global was how I gained my love for craft beer.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
From what I understand, the owner of Barntown told the property owner that if they allowed Global to open a kitchen, Barntown would move somewhere else, so Global unfortunately had no other choice. Pretty sad, as Global was how I gained my love for craft beer.
Sounds like Global had a choice and the landlord is a ***** for letting a tenant dictate to them what to so.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Hard to believe with how busy Barntown is that they would be scared of a little competition.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Hard to believe with how busy Barntown is that they would be scared of a little competition.
Yeah no kidding. I love Barntown. Maybe the best food/beer combination place around.
Of that's true though, that's kinda sad.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Checked out Worth Brewing in Northwood, IA. Nice sized place in a tiny town. Seems to have taken the place of a small town bar, which is cool. Beer was average.

Reactions: hurdleisu24

Help Support Us

Become a patron