Tap Rooms Iowa

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Over the last few weeks I thought I'd check out some of the new taprooms here in Iowa. I have to say these two new ones from Singlespeed in Waterloo and Big Grove in Iowa City are by far the best in Iowa. I went to the best taprooms in San Diego and Big Grove would probably be in the top 5 if it was in San Diego.

Big Grove
L99scI9.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I live near Solon and agree BG is great. Have not been to the outpost in IC yet, but a friend has and said it's amazing. Reminded him of Founders up in Michigan.

And they actually have their own beer in stock on tap! In Solon they are always out of their own stuff.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I live near Solon and agree BG is great. Have not been to the outpost in IC yet, but a friend has and said it's amazing. Reminded him of Founders up in Michigan.

And they actually have their own beer in stock on tap! In Solon they are always out of their own stuff.

By looking at the size of this new brewery, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that again. They just started releasing their beers in DSM pretty hugely.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Finally got around to visiting the new TG taproom in Decorah. The taproom is very cool and reminds me of a small version of Surly. Only downside for me was their tap selection wasn't anything special. There was only one beer on tap that I had never had before. Of course we finished the night at Pulpit, which was excellent, and had some pizza from Mabes. On a side note, Hotel Winnesheik was pretty decent, next door to Mabes, and not a bad walk to Pulpit.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Whats the difference between a taproom and a bar? Just seems like a fancy way to say you are going to the bar? Honestly I don't know. I don't frequent bars or taprooms much.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Whats the difference between a taproom and a bar? Just seems like a fancy way to say you are going to the bar? Honestly I don't know. I don't frequent bars or taprooms much.

Tap rooms generally sell beer made on the premises. Sometimes they'll have guest taps from other breweries. Tap rooms are usually limited to just selling beer (no wine or spirits). Bars are resellers and usually sell all types of alcohol.

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
Finally got around to visiting the new TG taproom in Decorah. The taproom is very cool and reminds me of a small version of Surly. Only downside for me was their tap selection wasn't anything special. There was only one beer on tap that I had never had before. Of course we finished the night at Pulpit, which was excellent, and had some pizza from Mabes. On a side note, Hotel Winnesheik was pretty decent, next door to Mabes, and not a bad walk to Pulpit.

My girlfriend and I like to hit Decorah in the fall to see the changing of the leaves and the waterfalls, etc. Last year we went when ISU hit the road for a game in Norman, because, who are we kidding, ISU can't win there! I tell you what, TG and Mabe's Pizza sure hit the spot when we finally got up there. I can't wait to see the new TG building this fall.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO

I agree - when I was there early July, they basically just had the basics which I could pick up at the grocery store in cans. Pulpit is just awesome with their diverse lineup.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

The new TG taproom is a "go once and when friends come to town" kind of place for me. You're spot on with the Surly comparison. It's pretty, but I prefer the more intimate set up you get at Pulpit, and now that the old TG taproom is back as a beer bar, you can get pretty much whatever's on tap up the hill there. It also gets harder to justify giving TG business with endless examples of Clark's douchery. They still make great beer that I still buy because it's great, but it never feels great going up there to me. Not when Pulpit makes such good beer and is good people to boot.

Hotel Winn is a great staging point for a beer weekend in Decorah. Nice bar there itself.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SWCy13

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
The new TG taproom is a "go once and when friends come to town" kind of place for me. You're spot on with the Surly comparison. It's pretty, but I prefer the more intimate set up you get at Pulpit, and now that the old TG taproom is back as a beer bar, you can get pretty much whatever's on tap up the hill there. It also gets harder to justify giving TG business with endless examples of Clark's douchery. They still make great beer that I still buy because it's great, but it never feels great going up there to me. Not when Pulpit makes such good beer and is good people to boot.

Hotel Winn is a great staging point for a beer weekend in Decorah. Nice bar there itself.
I must be ignorant, but what's the story here?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I must be ignorant, but what's the story here?

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sig...ut-over-toppling-goliaths-non-compete-lawsuit

TG has become a pretty notorious employer in the area. Hang around Decorah for 10 minutes and you'll find an ex-employee with some pretty unflattering things to say. I used to write it off as a couple folks being disgruntled, but the turnover is really, really high and I just know too many people who had bad experiences while working there for it to be isolated butt hurt.

Then there are the business tactics that start to wear on people.

They still make really great beer, and will as long as Mike Saboe is there. Which is never a guaranteed thing.

https://growlermag.com/growing-pain...-of-expansion-turnover-and-public-perception/

It's a never-ending circus of drama that seems to always lead back to the ownership. At this point, they're the only constant. The owner is always very friendly to patrons, sometimes exceptionally so. And I've often defended him over the years for this reason. But eventually there's too much evidence to overlook.

Reactions: WhatchaGonnaDo

s_ford

Jul 30, 2018

This x infinity. Have you heard about this frivolous lawsuit he's currently involved with? Guy is as petty as they come.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Tap rooms generally sell beer made on the premises. Sometimes they'll have guest taps from other breweries. Tap rooms are usually limited to just selling beer (no wine or spirits). Bars are resellers and usually sell all types of alcohol.

Taprooms in Iowa are now allowed to sell wine by the glass.

• Informative
Reactions: cycloneG

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My girlfriend and I like to hit Decorah in the fall to see the changing of the leaves and the waterfalls, etc. Last year we went when ISU hit the road for a game in Norman, because, who are we kidding, ISU can't win there! I tell you what, TG and Mabe's Pizza sure hit the spot when we finally got up there. I can't wait to see the new TG building this fall.

Mabe's Pizza is not what it used to be. Cross Water Street and Happy Joe's may be better.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Seems like Mistress Taproom is way, way behind. New American is nothing special. Going to be tough for either of those places to compete against Firetruckers setup.