Tap Rooms Iowa

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Mabe's Pizza is not what it used to be. Cross Water Street and Happy Joe's may be better.

Since when? I had Mabe’s in May and it was still great. Haven’t had Joe’s since they closed in Ames and honestly never thought it was that good anyway.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Seems like Mistress Taproom is way, way behind. New American is nothing special. Going to be tough for either of those places to compete against Firetruckers setup.

I don’t see New American lasting very long. Their beer is nothing special and it’s been dead in there every time I’ve visited.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you want really good pizza on a trip to the Decorah area, Atomic in Cresco and High Wide & Handsome in Calmar both beat Mabe's anymore (JMO). Mabe's is still good, a local icon, and doesn't require any kind of commute.

But if you do venture either direction (Cresco and Calmar are bookends of the Prairie Farmer Bike Trail - so if you're up there for biking) you can do High Wide & Handsome at Pivo Brewing in Calmar which is really good, and Atomic has probably 13 craft beers on tap, most of them local to the area (TG, Schell's, Singlespeed, and Pearl Street).

• Informative
Reactions: baller21

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don’t see New American lasting very long. Their beer is nothing special and it’s been dead in there every time I’ve visited.

I liked a few New American beers back when they just did bottles and taps around the area. I agree about their tap room, and I haven't been all that impressed with their beer in the last 2 years.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Seems like Mistress Taproom is way, way behind. New American is nothing special. Going to be tough for either of those places to compete against Firetruckers setup.
New American's beer is also really blah.

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
I was just in San Diego a few months ago. If Big Grove is up there with those breweries I that is a nice incentive to go to Iowa City 9/8. Not that I needed more of one. We are going to stomp the Hawkeyes, i really believe that. I'll be at Big Grove before the big show thanks to you

Over the last few weeks I thought I'd check out some of the new taprooms here in Iowa. I have to say these two new ones from Singlespeed in Waterloo and Big Grove in Iowa City are by far the best in Iowa. I went to the best taprooms in San Diego and Big Grove would probably be in the top 5 if it was in San Diego.

Big Grove

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Since when? I had Mabe’s in May and it was still great. Haven’t had Joe’s since they closed in Ames and honestly never thought it was that good anyway.

So enjoy!

I grew up near Decorah when Mabe's was the "it" place for NE Iowa and a top 100 privately owned restaurant in the country. We ate there for years (formerly had 3 locations). Unless things have been up-graded in the last year it is average pie. They used to bake Oregano into the crust, made super delicious sauce, and the Saturday night crush was something to experience.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I was just in San Diego a few months ago. If Big Grove is up there with those breweries I that is a nice incentive to go to Iowa City 9/8. Not that I needed more of one. We are going to stomp the Hawkeyes, i really believe that. I'll be at Big Grove before the big show thanks to you

I was in San Diego last month and went to the Stone Brewery. What a fantastic brewery with many options. It disappoints me that one basically finds their IPAs in the stores, when they have so many other great beers.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I was in San Diego last month and went to the Stone Brewery. What a fantastic brewery with many options. It disappoints me that one basically finds their IPAs in the stores, when they have so many other great beers.

Which one did you visit? We visited the Escondido one and Liberty Station. Liberty Station was ok but the Escondido one was amazing.

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
My friends took me to several including Alesmith and the Brew Lab? That's the one where they do several versions of the same style with the only difference being the yeast. Really cool.

I'm down in KC, been to all the breweries here. Some good ones, some meh.. The best brewery I've been to IMO is Side Project in St Louis. Just AMAZING.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Which one did you visit? We visited the Escondido one and Liberty Station. Liberty Station was ok but the Escondido one was amazing.

We went to the Liberty Station one. The beers and food was great for us, however their service was really slow.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Liked Stone and Karl Strauss when I was out there last.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
So enjoy!

I grew up near Decorah when Mabe's was the "it" place for NE Iowa and a top 100 privately owned restaurant in the country. We ate there for years (formerly had 3 locations). Unless things have been up-graded in the last year it is average pie. They used to bake Oregano into the crust, made super delicious sauce, and the Saturday night crush was something to experience.

I’ve only been eating Mabe’s for the last 2-3 years so I’ll take your word that it used to be better but saying it’s crap now is just not true. Maybe it is to you because its not the same but we still get it every time we visit Decorah. Next time we’ll have to try the places Al suggested and compare.