Tap Rooms Iowa

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Checked out Worth Brewing in Northwood, IA. Nice sized place in a tiny town. Seems to have taken the place of a small town bar, which is cool. Beer was average.
I think the beer is above average, FWIW. Of course, if you're into the hazebro/sour kinda thing, they definitely wouldn't wet your whistle.

I don't get there enough, but I really enjoy the place. It has taken the place of the small town bar, and I think that's the more sustainable model for new breweries than trying to take over the world. Limestone in Osage and Tellurian in Charles City are other breweries in that area who make good beer and have become that small town gathering place as well. Both of them do can and distribute some, but I think their success has more to do with the fact that they are awesome places to visit with tasty brews and have become community gathering points.

Lol at calling Northwood a "tiny" town. Nearby Carpenter, or Bolan, are tiny towns.

• Agree
Reactions: dmclone and jdolson

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think the beer is above average, FWIW. Of course, if you're into the hazebro/sour kinda thing, they definitely wouldn't wet your whistle.

I don't get there enough, but I really enjoy the place. It has taken the place of the small town bar, and I think that's the more sustainable model for new breweries than trying to take over the world. Limestone in Osage and Tellurian in Charles City are other breweries in that area who make good beer and have become that small town gathering place as well. Both of them do can and distribute some, but I think their success has more to do with the fact that they are awesome places to visit with tasty brews and have become community gathering points.

Lol at calling Northwood a "tiny" town. Nearby Carpenter, or Bolan, are tiny towns.
Pivo in Calmar reminds me of this.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Pivo has become my favorite, I think. That cucumber ale they've got is spectacular and there are several other good beers as well.
Pivo usually has 30 of their own beers on tap, and the worst ones are still pretty good. Having that kind of variety and making quality beer is quite the feat, IMO.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Lark in Cedar Falls is closing. I visited their taproom years ago when it was in the basement of a building with a bar/grill above it and wasn’t too impressed with the beer but just recently had a cucumber kolsch they make at one of the beer stops on RAGBRAI and liked it. I’m guessing they didn’t get enough business with SingleSpeed and Second State also there. I know SingleSpeed is pretty good but never had anything from Second State.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
River Hops in Ft. Dodge had their 5th anniversary party tonight well attended with good bands. The cherry lager
Is on point.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lark in Cedar Falls is closing. I visited their taproom years ago when it was in the basement of a building with a bar/grill above it and wasn’t too impressed with the beer but just recently had a cucumber kolsch they make at one of the beer stops on RAGBRAI and liked it. I’m guessing they didn’t get enough business with SingleSpeed and Second State also there. I know SingleSpeed is pretty good but never had anything from Second State.
I went to Second State once and was very underwhelmed. I thought Lark had really solid beer, but they constantly changed locations and there was something off about the vibe that I couldn’t quite place.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I went to Second State once and was very underwhelmed. I thought Lark had really solid beer, but they constantly changed locations and there was something off about the vibe that I couldn’t quite place.
Second State isn't great but the location will keep them open.

Yeah, Lark was always a weird one and really inconsistent. Plus moving out away from everybody into that old mall space was an odd decision.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I really liked Lark but part of the reason was because it was so quiet :).

I had a few great stouts from them.

Disco Infiltrator-Imperial Stout, aged in Rye Willett Barrels, with Ecuador Cacao and Madagascar Vanilla

Jordan's Brunch-Jordan's Brunch is a small batch Imperial Stout, aged with vanilla and chocolate, and blended with BLiS barrel aged maple syrup.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Had heard this rumor. Cool concept

Think it’s going to be more of a bar with a ton of beers on tap

52CAAB95-03E1-4E84-AF38-C2B4109DAF6F.jpeg

Reactions: Cyclone06

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I know this will come to an absolute shock but Kinship is in trouble.
Barntown would do well moving to that spot

i see their fine dining concept restaurant, Barbarian, hasnt posted in over a month so wonder if thats done with?

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Barntown would do well moving to that spot

i see their fine dining concept restaurant, Barbarian, hasnt posted in over a month so wonder if thats done with?
They had just announced in the past week that they were partnering with two food trucks so I assumed Barbarian was done. I think trying to pair fine dining with their mediocre beer offerings and dog park was a mistake, should have concentrated on making better beer.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron