COLUMN: Welcome to the conversation, hypocrites

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
The surviving members of the old Big 8 and the Big 12 were shown the grave a couple of years ago and know that we were very close to being pushed in. The survivors formed a new bond and will protect it fiercely now, strong enough to fight off what Texas was hoping would happen. Things can change in an instant but we have something to protect and I'm hoping we'll turn into "mama bears" to protect it. That also means a real vetting process for any new expansion candidates to make sure their interest is real and will join the survivors to defend this conference.

Reactions: NWICY and DarkStar

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
The one thing I disagree with is the Ohio States and Alabamas will not chirp about unequal distribution as long as: 1) their conferences remain far and away more wealthy than the other “Power” conferences; 2) the Indianas and Vanderbilt’s remain easy wins (in at least football) the majority of years. Those two caveats seem like a lock for a while.

Poor performing (AKA easy wins) teams are a feature not a flaw in a fabulously wealthy conference.

Edit: there to their… geesh, need more coffee
I could be wrong about this, but I thought I heard that the sec commissioner suggested a 9 game conference schedule and got overruled by the schools, ostensibly to keep their crap non-conference buy games.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Great read and an unfortunate reality. I was not even alive for the Big 8 days but besides the fact that we sucked (that's not a new revelation), I miss playing Nebraska and Mizzou. And now we're losing OU but gaining Colorado back....all these teams we have decades or even a century of history with is washing away.

I'm just glad we still have some of our Big 8 brethren in the Big 12 still.
In the 70’s…the Big 8 days…we def did not suck. Sure ISU sucks in general, but we have our moments…even now we still have to pull out our lead lined jock straps. It’s the Iowa State way.

Reactions: beentherebefore

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The pompous college football fan views the Pac12, Big Ten and SEC as "The Elites". Too Prestigious to fail. They always viewed the Big 12 and ACC as being lower class conferences who would eventually fail. Seeing the Pac12 crumble before the other two conferences destroys their worldview, even though the Pac12 has sucked for years as a football and basketball conference.

If the college football snobs really wanted to save the sport, they'd push for this: The P5 goes back to regional conferences and they all agree to equal TV/Playoff revenue sharing among all schools like the NFL. The big schools need the small schools just like the small schools need the big schools. Once you agree to split all TV/Playoff revenue, there is no more incentive for endless conference realignment. The whole of the group would maximize $$ with more local matchups.
This….

A group of us discussed years ago that football should be aligned into four super regional conferences with a sixteen team playoff. Would be as traumatic as closing local schools and moving to county schools. Much gnashing of teeth.

Reactions: beentherebefore

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That was fantastic.
I'd forgotten that OU kicked all this TV frenzy off. I will never stop being amazed, and mostly disappointed, at the amound of money driving "non-profit" college athletics.

Not only did OU help usher in the era, they almost immediately tried to double-dip.

They wanted their own network (sounds familiar) for football, and they also demanded their cut from the Big 8's Raycom deal despite (a) voting against the package and (b) not wanting to participate in it.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Totally agree. I miss the Big 8. It really sucks that they're tearing apart rivalries, building conference's so big you won't be able to play a team for 5 years or more.

When will they realize that making super conferences is going to destroy college football. If my college is left out I just won't watch it anymore, and I love the college sports much more than pro.
Here’s something else that reminded me of. With 8 conference members you had 7 conference games. Back in those days, you usually played 11 - so there were four non conference games. With 12 like today, you’d have five.

Look at the opportunities for cross-region big-time matchups! If all conferences remained a reasonable size of 10 or fewer, think of all the non-con inventory available! TV networks could get all the Oklahoma-Alabama or USC-Michigan or Clemson-Texas games they wanted, every single season, while still keeping regional rivalries and logically organized conferences.

But no, conferences locked down holding TV rights for their members after the Oklahoma lawsuit took them away from the NCAA, and TV networks realized the only way to guarantee these big-time games would be on their channel would be to get those brands into the conferences they had a deal with. So sure, it’s TV money ruining college football, but it didn’t have to be this way. A sensible overseer of college football as a whole could have made both media partners and schools rich - it’s just a lot of the schools wouldn’t have gotten as rich as they have with this system.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My frustration - Personalities I tend to like - Titus, Auerbach, Wetzel, Dellenger, Forde are very vocal on how f "regional rivalries being destroyed" and how conferences don't make geographic sense anymore - where the **** was this narrative 2 years ago?

Every ******* school we've invited this go-round touches a bordering Big 12 school. It geographically makes sense. Where was this noise when Texas/Oklahoma joined the SEC? USC/UCLA went to B1G? Maryland/Rutgers went B1G? ****, I'll even call us out, where was this noise when we brought in UCF? West Virginia?

Good writeup, CW. Thanks for getting me fired up this morning.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Enjoy.

Great piece CW

I think its inevitable that eventually 1 of 2 things happens

1. The Big 10 or SEC turns their sights to the other. Big10 wants into Texas and Florida. SEC wants the brands.

2. What you said about Ohio State and Alabama. Ive been pumping that for a while. The top 16-20 will form their own super league and take enough teams to cover big rivalries and the big markets/timezones. I think there will be a clause with signing on where being non competitive for a time can result in being kicked out too

Im also not convinced that these 20 team conferences may not blow up eventually as well. Are big brands playing 6-6 ball better than some smaller ones playing at a 10-2 level? We'll see what the media decides in 7-10 years

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
My frustration - Personalities I tend to like - Titus, Auerbach, Wetzel, Dellenger, Forde are very vocal on how f "regional rivalries being destroyed" and how conferences don't make geographic sense anymore - where the **** was this narrative 2 years ago?

Every ******* school we've invited this go-round touches a bordering Big 12 school. It geographically makes sense. Where was this noise when Texas/Oklahoma joined the SEC? USC/UCLA went to B1G? Maryland/Rutgers went B1G? ****, I'll even call us out, where was this noise when we brought in UCF? West Virginia?

Good writeup, CW. Thanks for getting me fired up this morning.

West Virginia was in the Big East. B1G . We were their lifeline. Louisville and WV fought for the spot. Syracuse and Pitt started the Big East demise as the ACC wanted to expand and they bolted. Big 12 was reactionary as they were poached by SEC for A&M and Mizzou. And previously poached by PAC 12 and B1G.

PAC 12 and ACC deserve what they are getting. Big 12 just trying to survive after being shivved by every other P5 Conference. Karma for PAC 12 and ACC.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I remember when I saw this posted I was thinking "Maybe too soon?" This thing still isn't over.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The surviving members of the old Big 8 and the Big 12 were shown the grave a couple of years ago and know that we were very close to being pushed in. The survivors formed a new bond and will protect it fiercely now, strong enough to fight off what Texas was hoping would happen. Things can change in an instant but we have something to protect and I'm hoping we'll turn into "mama bears" to protect it. That also means a real vetting process for any new expansion candidates to make sure their interest is real and will join the survivors to defend this conference.

Well said, the money the new B12 is making is good money, money that any A.D. should be able to run a competent athletic department. Keep the malcontents out and hopefully we can have a nice run with our new conference members.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Arizona coming over will add a lot of viewers to the later evening games. I'll bet there are tons of folks, like myself, who haven't watched a Pac 12 or Pac 10 game in years. Why? Because I am watching a game I care more about that started at 7:00 Central Time and doesn't end until 10:30. After that I'm done for the day. I don't go looking at 10:30 for that Cal / Stanford game that's in the 2nd quarter.

Also, as others have said, a big part of this is that in flyover country, we support our college football like crazy. They just don't do it the same on the west coast especially. The fan support had a lot to do with saving the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean and RedDog

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
What especially ***** is these are all manuevers being done beacuse of existing affiliations and contracts. But this all ends with a super league. There's just no doubt in my mind. Eventually the Big 10 and SEC are going to cut the fat as well and we will just have to hope we can retain our status in the "second tier"" of things.

I guess I'm trying to see some good in it. New teams means new rivals and now locations to travel to. In a way that's fun. But it's just gross to see how this is all transpiring.

Reactions: cyclone13

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Let's not forget that OU and Texas back stabbed the conference and behind the members backs brokered a deal for weeks to go to the SEC and ESPN actively tried to dissolve the B12 so those two could get out of the GOR and exit early.

Yes it's time to get angry.

**** everyone that cries about how it's wrong what we are doing.

**** everyone that doesn't want to to come to the B12 because they think it's beneath them.

**** Texas because they are a toxic, narcissistic, POS.

**** OU because they are cowardly little ******* and will forever be Texas's tag along little buddy.

**** Nebraska because they are Nebraska

**** Texas A&M for being weird. (Although they were right about Texas all a long)

**** Missouri for thinking they were better then us but really they are just the same.

**** CU for twice being rat finks.
We can be friends.

Reactions: CycloneVet

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Let's not forget that OU and Texas back stabbed the conference and behind the members backs brokered a deal for weeks to go to the SEC and ESPN actively tried to dissolve the B12 so those two could get out of the GOR and exit early.

Yes it's time to get angry.

**** everyone that cries about how it's wrong what we are doing.

**** everyone that doesn't want to to come to the B12 because they think it's beneath them.

**** Texas because they are a toxic, narcissistic, POS.

**** OU because they are cowardly little ******* and will forever be Texas's tag along little buddy.

**** Nebraska because they are Nebraska

**** Texas A&M for being weird. (Although they were right about Texas all a long)

**** Missouri for thinking they were better then us but really they are just the same.

**** CU for twice being rat finks.

Iowa State for not giving two ***** about athletics and specifically football into the 80s while relegating itself to 2nd class in its own state.

Oh. Wait. Don't think I'm playing right.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
THIS

Remember when we were tipped to join MAC or another Group 5 conferences because we were not considered "elite" enough.

Reactions: isuclone89

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron