Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Enjoy.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Great read and an unfortunate reality. I was not even alive for the Big 8 days but besides the fact that we sucked (that's not a new revelation), I miss playing Nebraska and Mizzou. And now we're losing OU but gaining Colorado back....all these teams we have decades or even a century of history with is washing away.

I'm just glad we still have some of our Big 8 brethren in the Big 12 still.

Reactions: 2122 and NWICY

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Needed to be said, and 100 accurate.

- Should have gone balls deep and said Iowa instead of Indiana. LOL.

- Any chance of publishing a G rated version that could get picked up nationally?

Love my wife.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clones1414 and 2122

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
Totally agree. I miss the Big 8. It really sucks that they're tearing apart rivalries, building conference's so big you won't be able to play a team for 5 years or more.

When will they realize that making super conferences is going to destroy college football. If my college is left out I just won't watch it anymore, and I love the college sports much more than pro.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Let's not forget that OU and Texas back stabbed the conference and behind the members backs brokered a deal for weeks to go to the SEC and ESPN actively tried to dissolve the B12 so those two could get out of the GOR and exit early.

Yes it's time to get angry.

**** everyone that cries about how it's wrong what we are doing.

**** everyone that doesn't want to to come to the B12 because they think it's beneath them.

**** Texas because they are a toxic, narcissistic, POS.

**** OU because they are cowardly little ******* and will forever be Texas's tag along little buddy.

**** Nebraska because they are Nebraska

**** Texas A&M for being weird. (Although they were right about Texas all a long)

**** Missouri for thinking they were better then us but really they are just the same.

**** CU for twice being rat finks.

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Let's all not forget that from a birds eye view our good fortunes right now are nothing but a 'loan'. We have the right guy leading us into territory to 'justify' that loan which will lead us into better 'loan' territory, but still let's not forget we're still a snapshot in time. I'm old enough where I hang on to the traditions CW pointed out. I'm sad for the newer generations where the excitement and experience of travel, tailgating, meeting AND enjoying time with opposing fans, are dwindling. Which as a side note can do nothing but polarize our society even more. But, if there's one thing I've learned through all this is: enjoy our current situation because it could change 'the next time around'.

Last edited:

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Enjoy.

This is what a lot of us have been thinking and feeling over the past 10+ years and I think you did a great job of putting it into words.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Well written article, Chris. As with most big business, money is the driving force. It’s a shame because the most important groups for collegiate events are fans and players. But those groups are largely ignored and overlooked for money.

Greed is a powerful drug. Some universities are consumed by greed. The 14 current members of the big 12 are not driven by greed, but rather came together as survivalists. I find it hilarious these survivalists are being accused of potentially disbanding a major conference

Reactions: StClone and NWICY

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
The one thing I disagree with is the Ohio States and Alabamas will not chirp about unequal distribution as long as: 1) their conferences remain far and away more wealthy than the other “Power” conferences; 2) the Indianas and Vanderbilt’s remain easy wins (in at least football) the majority of years. Those two caveats seem like a lock for a while.

Poor performing (AKA easy wins) teams are a feature not a flaw in a fabulously wealthy conference.

Edit: there to their… geesh, need more coffee

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The one thing I disagree with is the Ohio States and Alabamas will not chirp about unequal distribution as long as: 1) there conferences remain far and away more wealthy than the other “Power” conferences; 2) the Indianas and Vanderbilt’s remain easy wins (in at least football) the majority of years. Those two caveats seem like a lock for a while.

Poor performing (AKA easy wins) teams are a feature not a flaw in a fabulously wealthy conference.
Agree, there has to be a Washington Generals for each Harlem Globetrotter. It would be financial suicide to limit the scope too much more, since college sports is so regional and team specific. If ISU wasn't in the club, I'd have very little interest in watching any of the other games in the club, and I'd be following whatever grouping they were in much more intensely.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The pompous college football fan views the Pac12, Big Ten and SEC as "The Elites". Too Prestigious to fail. They always viewed the Big 12 and ACC as being lower class conferences who would eventually fail. Seeing the Pac12 crumble before the other two conferences destroys their worldview, even though the Pac12 has sucked for years as a football and basketball conference.

If the college football snobs really wanted to save the sport, they'd push for this: The P5 goes back to regional conferences and they all agree to equal TV/Playoff revenue sharing among all schools like the NFL. The big schools need the small schools just like the small schools need the big schools. Once you agree to split all TV/Playoff revenue, there is no more incentive for endless conference realignment. The whole of the group would maximize $$ with more local matchups.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Great article CW…. nailed it!

Whenever anyone has asked me if I could sum up all the world’s problems in just one word…. I’ve always said…. “greed”.

I’ve just never found a word that sums it up better.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I’m trying to stay positive in that new rivalries will form and other unknowns that will stem from this but ultimately will miss the traditional days of regional conferences.

Reactions: CloneIce

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I’m trying to stay positive in that new rivalries will form and other unknowns that will stem from this but ultimately will miss the traditional days of regional conferences.
We drove down to the Alamo bowl from Iowa and basically hit almost every B12(old Big 8) schools and I thought well duh no wonder these schools formed a conference.

Reactions: 2122 and CycloneVet

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

8 - 10 or even a 12 team league they have a chance to form

20+ teams is just a media play. Building rivalries when schools only play 3 times a generation....

This all sucks.

Bring on the NFL season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron