2023 CyHawk

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
1) What a baby. Crying about a missed call to the media on a game you won that ultimately ended up helping since the resulting possession was the pick 6 is not good. Fans doing that I get. Players doing that to each other or coaches I get. Heck even coaches to the media I get. But this is just unbelievably weak.

2) I've never seen a player for Kirk say anything like this to the media. It's honestly kind of shocking in that regard. I already have concerns about their offense, but this makes it seem like there could be some underlying issues that aren't typical with Iowa.
When you will never come close to sniffing the NFL, you try and get as much attention as you can. Classless player, makes sense when you see who he plays for

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I told this to my friend I was at the game with, but Iowa does an insanely good job at getting to 3rd and manageable. I would say that’s a huge difference between Iowa and ISU right now. Felt like the Clones were always in 3rd and 6+ where Iowa had a lot of 3rd and 4 or less
Yeah but even 3rd and manageable is too much to overcome for BF and KF, we continue to be one of the worst in the country at 3rd down conversions... two games into our OOC schedule and we're already ranked 99th at a scintillating .355, last year we finished 126th at .283.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah but even 3rd and manageable is too much to overcome for BF and KF, we continue to be one of the worst in the country at 3rd down conversions... two games into our OOC schedule and we're already ranked 99th at a scintillating .355, last year we finished 126th at .283.
Yep, and they are unwilling to run the QB sneak with Cade on less than a yard even though they have a 260 pound backup QB sitting on the bench. Could have cost them the game this past Saturday by not trying the QB sneak with the backup QB and instead getting stuffed on a run again for the millionth time.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep, and they are unwilling to run the QB sneak with Cade on less than a yard even though they have a 260 pound backup QB sitting on the bench. Could have cost them the game this past Saturday by not trying the QB sneak with the backup QB and instead getting stuffed on a run again for the millionth time.
We're eerily similar teams honestly lol.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Haydenism through and through.

I don't know who that is or what he's talking about.
WR and he's talking about the play where Coop got the INT. It was probably PI but I couldn't tell seeing it live. There were multiple other PIs not called as well that I don't see us ******** about, and we lost lol.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I've said this for years - and not in a good or bad way - just as reality. Each year we get closer to pure KF style. It's a style that works really well in the B1G West where there aren't offenses to exploit their defense. In the Big 12, it's creates an incredibly small margin for error and why you see our record in one loss scores being like Nebraska's.

• Agree
Reactions: F5cy

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I've said this for years - and not in a good or bad way - just as reality. Each year we get closer to pure KF style. It's a style that works really well in the B1G West where there aren't offenses to exploit their defense. In the Big 12, it's creates an incredibly small margin for error and why you see our record in one loss scores being like Nebraska's.
I think the similar styles gets overstated much like the comment Campbell tried to play Iowa's game. They both have great defenses and bad offenses but that's mostly the only similarities in my opinion

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the similar styles gets overstated much like the comment Campbell tried to play Iowa's game. They both have great defenses and bad offenses but that's mostly the only similarities in my opinion
I disagree, respectfully.

Both are built on the foundation of limiting possessions, having a strong run game, and limiting QB mobility. Iowa has always had great TEs and when we've had strong ones, we've leaned on them similarly. Both are modeled to take advantage of the "bend but don't break" defenses and go down the field in 10+ plays. Neither have been explosive, nor are they design to pass 15+ yards down field more than a few times a game.

The big difference is we've had some great RBs that have been able to keep the chains moving or break away for touchdowns. We've also had usually 1 elite WR each year. Iowa used to have a strong run game because they had a strong OL and decent backs - so same concept, just a different reason why the run game was successful. Both are very conservative in nature.

The problem is that style of offense has such a small margin for error/winning. Because you're playing to limit possessions so much, you also get fewer chances to score. When you don't have a great OL, stud TEs, or an NFL back, you get bogged down very easily.

Reactions: 7Got6 and 1776

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Iowa was called for ZERO penalties in the game on Saturday... DEFINETLEY not defensive holding on their star corner here on 3rd and 9

View attachment 116715
This is the genius of the Parker defense, their DB's are looking back at the ball, so they can really bully pass catchers.

The only times it doesn't work is when they are VERY overmatched by superior athletes who don't let their defenders gets handsy

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I disagree, respectfully.

Both are built on the foundation of limiting possessions, having a strong run game, and limiting QB mobility. Iowa has always had great TEs and when we've had strong ones, we've leaned on them similarly. Both are modeled to take advantage of the "bend but don't break" defenses and go down the field in 10+ plays. Neither have been explosive, nor are they design to pass 15+ yards down field more than a few times a game.

The big difference is we've had some great RBs that have been able to keep the chains moving or break away for touchdowns. We've also had usually 1 elite WR each year. Iowa used to have a strong run game because they had a strong OL and decent backs - so same concept, just a different reason why the run game was successful. Both are very conservative in nature.

The problem is that style of offense has such a small margin for error/winning. Because you're playing to limit possessions so much, you also get fewer chances to score. When you don't have a great OL, stud TEs, or an NFL back, you get bogged down very easily.
Some fair points I just think great defenses don't give up big plays and they've had great defenses. Iowa's much less bend but don't break with Phil than Norm. We use to allow much more underneath stuff and do to some degree still but that's defense you kind of have to. Iowa state is so much more horizontal in its passing game and they throw so much more. They've been in top 25 past 2 years for pass percentage. I just don't see Kirk ever throwing that frequently. We play so much more conservatively I know all fan bases feel they're conservative to some degree but Iowa is really peak conservative.

I think if you give Campbell good offensive talent they'd be really good offensively statically. With Iowa being in the 70s in total offense probably means we have a talented efficient offense. I guess we're probably both right to some degree. Both certainly value the TE's and both tackle really really well for the most part.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
That looked like Cooper got to the spot first, so Raigani pushed him out of the way. Cooper still made the play, but it's absolutely not PI on Cooper.

• Creative
  • Haha
Reactions: 1776 and 7Got6

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It was a pretty ugly game all the way around with the exception of some good defensive plays by both sides. Didn't do the state of Iowa any favors in terms of perception of a national audience, offenses were pretty putrid aside from a few good plays and drives. ISU's opening drive was impressive. I'm still a little surprised and concerned about our DL's inability to get penetration, especially early.

As Mike Hlas said... if you weren't a fan of either Iowa or ISU... you would have turned this game off in the 1st quarter.

Both teams rank nearly dead last in total offense, it's a horrible brand of football for fans unless you enjoy watching grass grow.

Both teams were virtually even the entire game, doing absolutely nothing.... Iowa wins it only because of the blocked FG and pick six. Outside of that, basically nothing happened.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU and Iowa may have similarities but imo Iowa is better at it; for years when they have a tight game and haven't done much they know when to punch on it with some pace when they get a drive going or have someone make the play downfield to get the ball rolling.