2023 CyHawk

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yep, and they are unwilling to run the QB sneak with Cade on less than a yard even though they have a 260 pound backup QB sitting on the bench. Could have cost them the game this past Saturday by not trying the QB sneak with the backup QB and instead getting stuffed on a run again for the millionth time.

Wish I had a gif of that last ISU offensive play for this.

That had such a weird 'OK, everyone go home now!' vibe.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
As Mike Hlas said... if you weren't a fan of either Iowa or ISU... you would have turned this game off in the 1st quarter.

Both teams rank nearly dead last in total offense, it's a horrible brand of football for fans unless you enjoy watching grass grow.

Both teams were virtually even the entire game, doing absolutely nothing.... Iowa wins it only because of the blocked FG and pick six. Outside of that, basically nothing happened.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
As Mike Hlas said... if you weren't a fan of either Iowa or ISU... you would have turned this game off in the 1st quarter.

Both teams rank nearly dead last in total offense, it's a horrible brand of football for fans unless you enjoy watching grass grow.

Both teams were virtually even the entire game, doing absolutely nothing.... Iowa wins it only because of the blocked FG and pick six. Outside of that, basically nothing happened.
I will say, we are definitely better at getting grass to grow. Too bad it doesn’t help in actual football games. Unless you call a lush natural grass football field negating any speed advantage we might have against opponents with inferior talent at the skilled positions….‍

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
ND game was a long rain delay.

I agree with Hawkeye Mike Hlas on this one. Iowa and ISU right now are both boring as F to watch play football. Iowa has almost always been that way.
Hlas is an idiot but he isnt wrong here, the last few years have sucked to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Hlas is an idiot but he isnt wrong here, the last few years have sucked to watch.
Not going to disagree. Nice to get the W, but the way it happens it doesn’t give you a bunch of hope that a great season is ahead for either team without drastic improvements on offense.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I will say, we are definitely better at getting grass to grow. Too bad it doesn’t help in actual football games. Unless you call a lush natural grass football field negating any speed advantage we might have against opponents with inferior talent at the skilled positions….‍
Did Trice not get the hybrid grass/turf stitching before this season?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not going to disagree. Nice to get the W, but the way it happens it doesn’t give you a bunch of hope that a great season is ahead for either team without drastic improvements on offense.

Iowa will be totally fine... they can play exactly how they did against ISU and win 10 games fairly easily and be in the B1G Championship game. It's hilarious.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I disagree, respectfully.

Both are built on the foundation of limiting possessions, having a strong run game, and limiting QB mobility. Iowa has always had great TEs and when we've had strong ones, we've leaned on them similarly. Both are modeled to take advantage of the "bend but don't break" defenses and go down the field in 10+ plays. Neither have been explosive, nor are they design to pass 15+ yards down field more than a few times a game.

The big difference is we've had some great RBs that have been able to keep the chains moving or break away for touchdowns. We've also had usually 1 elite WR each year. Iowa used to have a strong run game because they had a strong OL and decent backs - so same concept, just a different reason why the run game was successful. Both are very conservative in nature.

The problem is that style of offense has such a small margin for error/winning. Because you're playing to limit possessions so much, you also get fewer chances to score. When you don't have a great OL, stud TEs, or an NFL back, you get bogged down very easily.
It’s a great philosophy to start a program. Keeps you in a lot of games you shouldn’t be in. But the problem is, as you build it and your talent levels increase, you need to evolve with your talent level. Otherwise, you’re prone to losing some headscratchers as well.

But it’s also how they fairly frequently pull off big home upsets. They’re just rarely going to blow people out unfortunately and it’s not terribly pretty to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: Jer and GoHawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa will be totally fine... they can play exactly how they did against ISU and win 10 games fairly easily and be in the B1G Championship game. It's hilarious.
But they won’t be able to actually have a chance in the championship game if the offense doesn’t take a big step as the year goes on.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
But they won’t be able to actually have a chance in the championship game if the offense doesn’t take a big step as the year goes on.

So? It will still be a very successful season.

This will change next year though for Iowa... unless they decide to keep divisions, or pods, now that they've added all these teams? But if there are no divisions... Iowa will then be lucky to ever finish in the top 5 of the B1G again playing like they have been all these years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Rougher for ISU. You guys have teams that are truly offense optional that you play.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
For that to be true you campbell would need to punt on 3rd down. I get you're frustrated but nobody's more conservative than KF

Which team on Saturday threw deep more? Which team ran counters on run plays? ISU really never threw deep at all, and I don't remember us ever running any counters or misdirection either?

KF and BF are more progressive than CMC... those are the facts.

• Haha
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Which team on Saturday threw deep more? Which team ran counters on run plays? ISU really never threw deep at all, and I don't remember us ever running any counters or misdirection either?

KF and BF are more progressive than CMC... those are the facts.
We did throw the ball downfield I'll give you that. I think what madguy said is true that Iowa takes a few calculated shots a game. Sometimes it works with us because it's so unexpected. Iowa is always near the lowest in plays per game, usually low in pass play % and giveaways. We aren't low in giveaways because we're some great disciplined offense it's because we're throwing plays away to eventually punt the football.

When you say counters are you talking about a run up the gut in a heavy formation on short yardage plays?

Last edited:

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So? It will still be a very successful season.

This will change next year though for Iowa... unless they decide to keep divisions, or pods, now that they've added all these teams? But if there are no divisions... Iowa will then be lucky to ever finish in the top 5 of the B1G again playing like they have been all these years.
Unlike last year, I feel the offense does have a chance to improve. This is the first full week of practice for Cade since the injury they are saying and I feel he and the receivers could get on the same page and maybe, just maybe the OL can run block some. Didn't have this feeling last year where there was zero hope the offense could do anything.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks