USC site/Dan Patrick: Lincoln Riley+Caleb Williams=NFL deal

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Wouldn't surprise me if Williams/Riley aren't a package deal Williams dad has been posturing that it isn't a done deal that Caleb leaves for the NFL this year.

Riley is the only coach Williams has known at the collegiate level and the Williams family might feel his best chance of NFL success is in Riley's offense.

With NIL, its not like elite college football players enter the NFL broke. So a hold-out or having a list of teams they are willing to play for might be possible. Heck Eli Manning did it back in the day. Refused to play for the Chargers.

Reactions: cyclone1209

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I really think Caleb is going to be a bust. Give me a QB that had to throw into tight windows because their WRs weren’t constantly running free and open.
Also a QB with great anticipation who will begin the throw before the WR comes out of their break. (See Purdy)

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Williams is a better Baker Mayfield, it might work for awhile but teams will figure him out. He can play backyard fb at USC because of the talent. That wont work at the next level for long.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Williams is gonna be great, but he’s gonna come with headaches clearly. Drake Maye might be my pick though

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
He’s touted by many as greatest prospect since PManning. While he has had impressive games, he’s also had great weapons around him. The few times he’s faced adversity, he’s looked average.

He has absolute talent, some impressive throwing angles, and is a bit of a mix of Mahomes and peak ARodgers. But I could see him panning out more like Kyler Murray just as easily.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
How many of the "next great" QB's have come out of USC and busted?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
He’s touted by many as greatest prospect since PManning. While he has had impressive games, he’s also had great weapons around him. The few times he’s faced adversity, he’s looked average.

He has absolute talent, some impressive throwing angles, and is a bit of a mix of Mahomes and peak ARodgers. But I could see him panning out more like Kyler Murray just as easily.

But again, Mahomes and Rodgers didn’t have USC type talent around them. It’s hard to know what exactly he can do when his WRs are getting miles of separation on their routes. It’s hard to take coaching when it’s easy.

Go through the QBs in the NFL. How many of them were from a top tier college program? There are certainly some, but it seems very skewed towards guys from that second tier or lower.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Didn’t we already do this with Kingsbury and Murray?

Reactions: Jer