USC site/Dan Patrick: Lincoln Riley+Caleb Williams=NFL deal

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
QB is the hardest job in sports at that level, and very few master it like a Mahomes or Brady. If you look at the starting QB's playing today and the recent past, they come from high powered programs with lots of talent to programs that didn't. Purdy and Rodgers being great examples, ISU had good receivers not great ones, same thing for Cal.

When you have the opportunity to get a game changer like Williams, you take them, because if you pass and they get picked and become great it's going to cost you your job. The safe pick is to take him with the first pick and hope you finally got your guy.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Wait, so instead of salary he wants team ownership? I mean I don't blame him 10% of a NFL team is a great long term investment. But as an owner I'd till him naw that's not happening.
There is no way this would be 10% of a team even. Right now the low end of team valuations I’ve seen is $4 billion. Bryce young for $41.2 million for his rookie deal this year. That is 1% of the valuation and it just wouldn’t make sense for an owner to give that away instead of just paying the guy, especially when he could leave at the end of a contract anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
No chance I'd want him on my team with that alleged request alone. Talk about peak hubris from a guy who could be a bust (as any quarterback could making that transition).
That story isn't accurate actually. It's an inflammatory headline made for clicks. He was a part of a group of college and NFL players advocating for player equity in franchises, and has expressed a desire to one day after retirement he a part-owner.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I just don't see Lincoln Riley working out in the NFL. He has shown in college that he doesn't care enough about defense to win. Caleb Williams will be successful if he can get into the right system/coach (example: Mahomes with Andy Reid). Chances are though, he likely won't be in a great system/coach when being picked that high.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
At OU and USC Riley has had the luxury of 5* athletes and a level of talent, especially at the offensive skill positions, that the other 99% of college football programs can't touch. That's a massive advantage. So yeah, he's had huge success and highly explosive offenses.

Riley wouldn't have this advantage in the NFL. He'd be a complete bust IMO.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Williams is a better Baker Mayfield, it might work for awhile but teams will figure him out. He can play backyard fb at USC because of the talent. That wont work at the next level for long.

I don't know that he's as good of a pure passer at this point as Baker was. I've never loved Williams because of his body of work against decent defenses and how he comes about his production. No one knows if he will be a bust or not because it's just impossible to predict if he can learn a skillset he hasn't really needed until now when it's pretty clear that if you cover with a disciplined pocket, he isn't nearly as good. He could develop that so saying he will be a bust is maybe premature but if I'm an NFL team looking for some polish and the ability to throw the ball from the pocket while also being mobile, there're at least two guys I like more than him. I'm completely biased, obviously, but JJ McCarthy looks like the guy of this class who can do everything and he's operating in a system where he does NFL things in the passing game.

That's not to mention all the intangible stuff with Williams that is coming to light. Maybe spend some more time honing your skills, buddy. You ain't getting ownership.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I was going to say Stroud might be the exception there. He's playing great without much around him.
I'll be honest I thought he was going to be as bad as every other one. He's completely shocked me to this point.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Williams wants partial ownership right?
I doubt the NFL or any major professional league allows a current athlete to have part ownership of a team in the league they compete. Otherwise we would have already seen it happen. I believe Mahomes has ownership in KC professional soccer franchise.

Also, ownership doesn't mean a voice unless a person or group controls majority. It could be a great investment (aka Magic Johnson).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I doubt the NFL or any major professional league allows a current athlete to have part ownership of a team in the league they compete. Otherwise we would have already seen it happen. I believe Mahomes has ownership in KC professional soccer franchise.

Also, ownership doesn't mean a voice unless a person or group controls majority. It could be a great investment (aka Magic Johnson).
Rodgers wanted that from the Jets and the NFL squashed it which is completely reasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and isucy86

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'll be honest I thought he was going to be as bad as every other one. He's completely shocked me to this point.
That's how I felt about Bryce Young. I don't care if the guy is a wizard on the board with a marker, he's 6-foot nothing without elite arm strength.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not a great track record of college coaches making the jump to the NFL. I didn't follow the Kingsbury situation, so don't know why it didn't work out. It initially seemed successful.

But if I'm an NFL GM and have the chance to draft Caleb Williams AND I'm in the market for a new coach- hiring Lincoln Riley would probably be smart. The GM is assured his head coach will run an offense that Caleb Williams likes and has thrived in. The GM can always make sure Riley hires a proved NFL d-coordinator.

IMO a lot of recent high draft choice college QB's fail because NFL head coaches plug the QB's into traditional NFL offenses. I feel the coaches in Baltimore and Philly have done a great job of significantly modifying a typical NFL offense to match their QB's talents. Kingsbury did a good job of that in Arizona. But we have seen what happens when a mobile QB gets the injury bug.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kliff is gonna fall up again and become the new HC at USC once Riley bolts, isn't he?

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86