COLUMN: A massive analysis on the MBB roster following opener

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I’ve been watching Cyclone basketball since Orr started and I don’t remember a team with this kind of length and athleticism. Not close. That starting lineup was long and Milan moves better than I expected. Then they can bring in two more long athletic defenders in Omaha and Watson, and a hockey enforcer in Bob Jones. We don’t have a true skilled center, say a 6’10 or 6’11 guy, but few teams do. Then I really like Lipsey and Gilbert on the perimeter, they are going to cause all kinds of problems. This will be fun.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Lipsey plays like a senior four-year starter, but he is only a sophomore.

Also, Kayden Fish looks like he should be a TE. He was setting some screens and the defenders looked in pain after running into him.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Imo the staff appears to be very good at defining roles for players and those guys know the assignment.
Agree completely. It was obvious TJ had the best 5 starting setup out of the gate. No other combination flowed as well as they did. I was like 'Whoa, wonder what Milan did to get a shot starting?' Maybe hardest worker in practice. Then his first shot went up and it was 'Well hello there beautiful'.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Lipsey plays like a senior four-year starter, but he is only a sophomore.

Also, Kayden Fish looks like he should be a TE. He was setting some screens and the defenders looked in pain after running into him.
We are going to win some games wearing down opponents front line after 40 minutes of getting pounded by King, Jones and Fish (law firm?).

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Analysis.................Green Bay was awful. Probably would have a tough time winning the 4A title in high school.

With that said.....back court will be the strength this year. Front court, way too early. There is no rim protector, and Robert is, well.......Robert. Will have to see how that unfolds. Omaha gets the game to slow down for him will make a huge impact on that area.

Offensively.......I don't care who was making them, the fact they were letting it fly is a trend in the right direction. Get another couple of guys to become threats along with Milan will make a huge difference in where this team finishes.
I am not ready to call that yet. I saw Ward impact shots last night. I expect King will too. With Omaha's athleticism, I expect he will help in that area too especially when we are playing zone (although he is athletic enough to play at the top of a zone or press.)

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I wasn't paying too close of attention to foul situation since we got such an early lead and it was mostly no factor, so I was caught unawares when Omaha got his 3rd foul. Hadn't noticed. Hopefully that was a product of going hard but not quite being in the flow yet. It'll be exciting to see how he develops.

Mommy's outside stroke looks so effortless. Gilbert is a bucket-getter. Having those two elements alone is gonna help a LOT. Also, the 3-headed beast at the "4/5" should augment nicely.
Probably should come up with another nickname for Milan.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I am not ready to call that yet. I saw Ward impact shots last night. I expect King will too. With Omaha's athleticism, I expect he will help in that area too especially when we are playing zone (although he is athletic enough to play at the top of a zone or press.)
I agree, I think Ward will be a good rim protector. Length and athleticism.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I’ve been watching Cyclone basketball since Orr started and I don’t remember a team with this kind of length and athleticism. Not close. That starting lineup was long and Milan moves better than I expected...
Watched few of Milan’s jr and sr HS tournament games and I was not surprised that he started, and how he scored. He’s a highly skilled player who is only getting started in a Cyclone uniform. I’m hesitant to make comparisons, but he could be one of our best front court recruits since Niang.

Last edited:

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Why do fans expect a defensive drop off? We're longer and arguably more athletic than a year ago. I don't think it'll drop much at all. We'll probably play at a faster pace, so teams will score more, but I don't see the defensive efficiency going down that much.
I think we already look better. Not looking at final score, but three things: non stop ball pressure, more length, and shorter rotations.

We avoided fouls and it didnt look like a fluke. They were aggressive but controlled.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I’ve been watching Cyclone basketball since Orr started and I don’t remember a team with this kind of length and athleticism. Not close. That starting lineup was long and Milan moves better than I expected. Then they can bring in two more long athletic defenders in Omaha and Watson, and a hockey enforcer in Bob Jones. We don’t have a true skilled center, say a 6’10 or 6’11 guy, but few teams do. Then I really like Lipsey and Gilbert on the perimeter, they are going to cause all kinds of problems. This will be fun.
Agreed 100%. This team looks dang nice coming off the bus. At one point I want to say we had lineup consisting of a frontcourt of Ward, Biliew and Watson. That is a ton of length and athleticism. I cant ever recall a frontcourt rotation of 5-6 high-level, legit, P5 players.

Takeaways:

Gilbert was a homerun on the recruiting trail. He is so smooth. So glad we get him for two years.

Tre King could be primed for an All Big 12 type year. He is such a gifted scorer his points will come in the flow of the game. It is clear TJ is challenging to be the #1 rebounder in the league.

Momcilovic. I mean C'mon man. YES! 6'8" and just making it rain. This dude is gonna be a problem.

Reactions: rosshm16

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Probably. I came up w/ that during the in-game thread last night when people were discussing shorthanding, so I stuck with it.
Lol ok, I didn't know if that was a typo or intentional! I can't really say there is another nickname that preferably works for him at the moment.