David Harris to Tulane

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Sorry, I've been tied up all day.

This is the best thing to happen to UNI Athletics in some time.

He burned through staff at an unsustainable rate to the point where we're down to 3 senior staff in the department. He's an awful communicator and uses his physical size and title to intimidate people, especially female staff.

He also decided to save money by doing things like taking away chartered flights from football to places we've always flown and put that program in a horrible spot schedule wise because it's easier to take a guarantee than to raise money.

He released a 5 year plan to totally redo facilities and, other than replacing the turf in Dome because the league deemed it unsafe to host games, has done nothing. We've got several completely homeless sports because of his leadership.

He's run off at least 10 booster club fundraising volunteers that had raised over a million dollars.

He was reprimanded by the BOR for not keeping proper financial records and also submitted an incorrect budget that cost the department $750k because the cost of scholarships wasn't calculated correctly.

The only thing he managed to do in 7 years is get himself deep into the NCAA bureaucracy. He's on a few committees and is able to kiss the right asses.

I don't ever want to see his ass in the state again unless it's in Iowa City to help burn that department to the ground

Thanks, this is what I was interested in regarding my earlier comment about specifics of what he's done.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Super early list--

Farley
Nathan Christensen-Senior Deputy AD at South Dakota State
Kevin Buisman-AD at Minnesota State-Mankato and UNI alum
Cristina Roybal-AD at Northern Kentucky
Casey Fox-Senior Deputy AD at Montana State
I definitely know the first 3 mentions.
Farley was asked this morning on kxno. He didn't overwhelmingly shoot it down.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I definitely know the first 3 mentions.
Farley was asked this morning on kxno. He didn't overwhelmingly shoot it down.
Farley does not have a good reputation amongst his assistants of being someone decent at all to work for. I can’t imagine that being a good fit especially for how much work needs to be done at UNI. He also has an enormous ego.

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Farley does not have a good reputation amongst his assistants of being someone decent at all to work for. I can’t imagine that being a good fit especially for how much work needs to be done at UNI. He also has an enormous ego.
In today's world and with us having Jamie, I'd really look for someone in that CPA realm. Seems like a finance guy/gal is just as important as a sports background.

• Agree
Reactions: nfrine

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, I knew someone that worked in the AD years ago and he was a real ******* then.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
In today's world and with us having Jamie, I'd really look for someone in that CPA realm. Seems like a finance guy/gal is just as important as a sports background.
Totally agree. There’s a limit to how much I really care but I hope they get a decent guy/gal in there. I think a strong UNI is better for our state.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Eh. He's really mellowed. He's also a phenomenal fundraiser and that's exactly what UNI needs right now. He raised a little over $4M in the last two years while still running a football program.

You'd have to have a strong administrator with him but as for being the face of the department and telling the UNI story, he's the guy.

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Super early list--

Farley
Nathan Christensen-Senior Deputy AD at South Dakota State
Kevin Buisman-AD at Minnesota State-Mankato and UNI alum
Cristina Roybal-AD at Northern Kentucky
Casey Fox-Senior Deputy AD at Montana State
Eh. He's really mellowed. He's also a phenomenal fundraiser and that's exactly what UNI needs right now. He raised a little over $4M in the last two years while still running a football program.

You'd have to have a strong administrator with him but as for being the face of the department and telling the UNI story, he's the guy.
Any idea if Farley is friendly with Schwab and the wrestling program? Worried about them..

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Any idea if Farley is friendly with Schwab and the wrestling program? Worried about them..
He and Schwab get along great. The only friction that there's ever been was right after Jake became the Big attraction at alumni events and golf outings but that bridge has been mended.

It was actually Jake, Farley and Bobbi that told Schwab about the West Gym because David wouldn't speak with him.

Reactions: HGoat1

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
He and Schwab get along great. The only friction that there's ever been was right after Jake became the Big attraction at alumni events and golf outings but that bridge has been mended.

It was actually Jake, Farley and Bobbi that told Schwab about the West Gym because David wouldn't speak with him.
That is good news!

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

So Farley would have to give up FB HC I’m assuming.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Genuinely curious what some of the big/major issues are at UNI.
There hasn't been much/any coaching turnover since he's been there. Unless fans wanted him to make a change somewhere and he didn't.

Last year they announced a plan to renovate the Dome. Likely long overdue, but that's not Harris's fault.
Mcleod Center is almost 20 years old and probably could use some renovations, but probably not a lot they can do for a while, especially while trying to raise money for the Dome project.

If he's a poor communicator then that probably translates to poor fundraiser as well, which wouldn't work at a place like UNI.

I'm not arguing, I have no info on the UNI athletics department, just curious if the issues are anything more than not having enough money to go around.
They are underfunded and he sucks at fundraising is what I've heard from UNI fans.

Reactions: DSMCy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Totally agree. There’s a limit to how much I really care but I hope they get a decent guy/gal in there. I think a strong UNI is better for our state.
Is it though? With the smaller privates under pressure, what if UNI went away and you diverted that money to ISU and UI and raised their enrollments?

That may not even be a feasible option, but it ought to be evaluated.

• Wow
Reactions: NENick

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Is it though? With the smaller privates under pressure, what if UNI went away and you diverted that money to ISU and UI and raised their enrollments?

UNI exists as a regional university that educates in state kids in a smaller environment. It has it's place. I think we'd see smaller town kids just choose not to go to school rather than go to one of the larger universities which just accelerates the state's issues.

Plus, UNI educates 74% of Iowa's K-12 teachers and 71% of Iowa's K-12 administrators and superintendents. 88% of UNI grads are still in state after 10 years.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Correct.

Both of his coordinators are ready for the big chair. It would be a smooth transition with some new ideas.
Yeah I figured the Stan Sheriff days are long past for any D1 program at this point. (I think it was he who held both jobs for a while. Not 100% sure)

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I'll disagree it is a great environment for the kids who don't want the "big" school experience. Their teaching program is really well respected and I think they are pretty decent at business also. UNI has its place in the university system. IMO.

• Winner
Reactions: NENick and Acylum