David Harris to Tulane

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Wouldn’t want Harris at ISU either, but I do wonder who the leading candidates would be when Jamie decided to hang it up?
We don't need to worry about that today BUT like we have all found out it is good to always have a list of replacements ready. It I was in charge and had to call someone in right now I would at least call someone like Nathan Pine (Air Force). What he has done for fundraising, infrastructure and athletic success at a service academy is fantastic.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
We don't need to worry about that today BUT like we have all found out it is good to always have a list of replacements ready. It I was in charge and had to call someone in right now I would at least call someone like Nathan Pine (Air Force). What he has done for fundraising, infrastructure and athletic success at a service academy is fantastic.
Why is that a challenge at an academy?

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Why is that a challenge at an academy?
Lower endowments (like Iowa State), less VERY wealthy alums (like Iowa State), harder academic standards that apply to all incoming students, most students are there for the service profession - not the athletic profession and hence harder to recruit the elite athletes whose first goal is the pros or Olympics.

Despite that Airforce has smoked the other service academies in the Learfield standings lately and was tops in the Mountain West. You can read the bio on improvements he spearheaded. If I recall correctly, he did that before Air Force too.

Everyone was goo-goo ga-ga over San Diego State when they flirted with the PAC due to basketball success, yet Air Force won last year's Mountain West Learfield title handily. (San Diego was second)

We need someone at ISU that 1) can fundraise, 2) is creative 3) understands the importance of staying competitive in Football and Basketball, and 4) understands that the "Olympic" sports are important too (i.e. Wrestling, Soccer, Golf). I think someone like Pine fits that bill.

I am NOT advocating to go get Pine now. I am just saying, we should always have a short list of people like him in case Pollard wins the Megamillions and buys an island in the Bahamas. Such a person might be on staff or an associate at a Big 10/SEC program, but I think our best option is to find someone that has been successful as the boss at a Group of Five level.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Lower endowments (like Iowa State), less VERY wealthy alums (like Iowa State), harder academic standards that apply to all incoming students, most students are there for the service profession - not the athletic profession and hence harder to recruit the elite athletes whose first goal is the pros or Olympics.

Despite that Airforce has smoked the other service academies in the Learfield standings lately and was tops in the Mountain West. You can read the bio on improvements he spearheaded. If I recall correctly, he did that before Air Force too.

Everyone was goo-goo ga-ga over San Diego State when they flirted with the PAC due to basketball success, yet Air Force won last year's Mountain West Learfield title handily. (San Diego was second)

We need someone at ISU that 1) can fundraise, 2) is creative 3) understands the importance of staying competitive in Football and Basketball, and 4) understands that the "Olympic" sports are important too (i.e. Wrestling, Soccer, Golf). I think someone like Pine fits that bill.

I am NOT advocating to go get Pine now. I am just saying, we should always have a short list of people like him in case Pollard wins the Megamillions and buys an island in the Bahamas. Such a person might be on staff or an associate at a Big 10/SEC program, but I think our best option is to find someone that has been successful as the boss at a Group of Five level.
I was under the impression it was taxpayer supported and facilities totally funded. NIL not relevant. What do donations support?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Sorry, I've been tied up all day.

This is the best thing to happen to UNI Athletics in some time.

He burned through staff at an unsustainable rate to the point where we're down to 3 senior staff in the department. He's an awful communicator and uses his physical size and title to intimidate people, especially female staff.

He also decided to save money by doing things like taking away chartered flights from football to places we've always flown and put that program in a horrible spot schedule wise because it's easier to take a guarantee than to raise money.

He released a 5 year plan to totally redo facilities and, other than replacing the turf in Dome because the league deemed it unsafe to host games, has done nothing. We've got several completely homeless sports because of his leadership.

He's run off at least 10 booster club fundraising volunteers that had raised over a million dollars.

He was reprimanded by the BOR for not keeping proper financial records and also submitted an incorrect budget that cost the department $750k because the cost of scholarships wasn't calculated correctly.

The only thing he managed to do in 7 years is get himself deep into the NCAA bureaucracy. He's on a few committees and is able to kiss the right asses.

I don't ever want to see his ass in the state again unless it's in Iowa City to help burn that department to the ground

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Not sure how common that is for FCS schools. I’m assuming not very.
UNI takes far less money than any FCS peer. UNI takes about $4M per year from the general fund. The Valley average for public schools is $14M. The Dakota schools are both pulling over $20M.

We also pull about $4M from student fees which is also low for the level.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017

He burned through staff at an unsustainable rate to the point where we're down to 3 senior staff in the department. He's an awful communicator and uses his physical size and title to intimidate people, especially female staff.

He also decided to save money by doing things like taking away chartered flights from football to places we've always flown and put that program in a horrible spot schedule wise because it's easier to take a guarantee than to raise money.

He released a 5 year plan to totally redo facilities and, other than replacing the turf in Dome because the league deemed it unsafe to host games, has done nothing. We've got several completely homeless sports because of his leadership.

He's run off at least 10 booster club fundraising volunteers that had raised over a million dollars.

He was reprimanded by the BOR for not keeping proper financial records and also submitted an incorrect budget that cost the department $750k because the cost of scholarships wasn't calculated correctly.

The only thing he managed to do in 7 years is get himself deep into the NCAA bureaucracy. He's on a few committees and is able to kiss the right asses.

I don't ever want to see his ass in the state again unless it's in Iowa City to help burn that department to the ground
Other than that a great guy.
Amazing how asshol*s who are incompetent can advance in their chosen career. Just amazing.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022

So why in the world would Tulane hire him?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
So why in the world would Tulane hire him?

Did Pollard give him a good recommendation when he took the UNI job?

Doesn't seem like he was a good fit at UNI. And alluded to earlier, if money/endowment isn't an issue at Tulane they might just want a "maintenance" guy

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

QBEagles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2014
UNI takes far less money than any FCS peer. UNI takes about $4M per year from the general fund. The Valley average for public schools is $14M. The Dakota schools are both pulling over $20M.

We also pull about $4M from student fees which is also low for the level.
If the USA Today data is right, no one is close to running a self sufficient AD unless they have a P5 TV deal. I assume schools write athletics off as a marketing expense that only breaks even for a few thanks to skyrocketing TV money.

And yeah, what is Tulane doing? I get that he has connections, but what about the trajectory of UNI athletics since 2016 is all that appealing?

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

He comes off so weird in person.