***#8 Iowa State vs #4 Iowa (Sunday, 2:00)***

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Out-coached in this meet. Not just talking about challenges either. Everyone that pays attention knows Feldkamp goes double overs or fireman’s. And he did absolutely nothing else. 174 to 197 all rely on junk wrestling.
Echemendia will get called on his illegal front headlock at some point. Not impressed with any of it.
Iowa just has better fundamentals.

hiltonisheaven

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Really disappointed in poor efforts at 125, 184, 197, and Dresser really **** the bed today. Bad lineup choices, bad info at 174 cost the match, and missed some obvious challenge opportunities. It’s just one dual but gotta see improvements or give other guys their shot and coaches gotta get their heads straight.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dresser did touch on this a bit on the post meet. Basically why they didn't challenge was because the two refs didn't give off the vibe that the call was wrong. If they were talking with each other and not certain then the challenge would have came out. In the end he went home with a brick and it's going to be on his mind. Was a learning spot for him and the staff (no matter how long you have been doing it mistakes get made)

Seeing all of the PSU responses it is now clear that Cael uses it to strategically use them for his guys to more so get a lunger/focus then to change the outcome of the call.
So, when refs make a call, then talk, do they routinely say, this is what we called but think we are wrong but are sticking with it? If KD is relying on refs to do this, he won't ever really challenge anything.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
So, when refs make a call, then talk, do they routinely say, this is what we called but think we are wrong but are sticking with it? If KD is relying on refs to do this, he won't ever really challenge anything.
Just how I interpreted what he said in the video. I'm probably more confused now then I was before.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Final grades from today.

125 C- … figured Kysen would come back to earth a bit, bad time for it. Ayala is absolutely an AA contender and his length bothered Kysen. The better guy won, don’t care that Ayala lost last weekend.

133 A … beating an experienced guy like Teske handedly is impressive. He’s got a huge tank and I’ve been impressed by his scoring ability on top.

141 B … if he wins it’s obviously an A. Guy could be a contender at 141, obviously top and bottom will be factors but he was so close to taking out a returning finalist.

149 B+ … left no doubt as to who the better guy was, but probably could have pushed for 1 more TD and got close to bonus. When his head is right he is a tough SOB.

157 B- … freshman against senior all-American and he was half a second away from the win. Excited for Cody to get more folk matches under his belt (same with 141). Only going to get better.

165 A … going to miss this guy after this year. Putting up 16 and getting bonus on a top 5 guy is special. I don’t think I appreciate him enough.

174 D+ … seemed less than ready from the start. PK came after him and he wasn’t sure how to handle it. My expectations for him this year got brought down a notch in this one. PK clearly was struggling at the end, wish MJ could have made him work harder early.

184 D- … not many words for this one. Arnold is going to win a bunch of 3-2, 4-1 type of matches in his career but this was a tough one to watch. He had no shot at getting in on a leg and the top few guys at 184 will make him pay. He will still bonus several.

197 D- … just really tough to watch. Hope he can find some success this year. Nando to the lineup?

285 A- … probably had some of the wind taken out of his sails once we lost 197, but not much to complain about here. Still would have loved to see him vs Cass.

This was going to be our best chance in/for awhile to beat them and didn’t get it done. Hope we have a successful weekend in Vegas.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just how I interpreted what he said in the video. I'm probably more confused now then I was before.

Well, listening to that, Dresser basically said he will never throw a brick again. A good ref is going to be confident in his call unless the other ref says I saw this or that and then be confident with the call with that information.

Reactions: MattforState

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Final grades from today.

125 C- … figured Kysen would come back to earth a bit, bad time for it. Ayala is absolutely an AA contender and his length bothered Kysen. The better guy won, don’t care that Ayala lost last weekend.

133 A … beating an experienced guy like Teske handedly is impressive. He’s got a huge tank and I’ve been impressed by his scoring ability on top.

141 B … if he wins it’s obviously an A. Guy could be a contender at 141, obviously top and bottom will be factors but he was so close to taking out a returning finalist.

149 B+ … left no doubt as to who the better guy was, but probably could have pushed for 1 more TD and got close to bonus. When his head is right he is a tough SOB.

157 B- … freshman against senior all-American and he was half a second away from the win. Excited for Cody to get more folk matches under his belt (same with 141). Only going to get better.

165 A … going to miss this guy after this year. Putting up 16 and getting bonus on a top 5 guy is special. I don’t think I appreciate him enough.

174 D+ … seemed less than ready from the start. PK came after him and he wasn’t sure how to handle it. My expectations for him this year got brought down a notch in this one. PK clearly was struggling at the end, wish MJ could have made him work harder early.

184 D- … not many words for this one. Arnold is going to win a bunch of 3-2, 4-1 type of matches in his career but this was a tough one to watch. He had no shot at getting in on a leg and the top few guys at 184 will make him pay. He will still bonus several.

197 D- … just really tough to watch. Hope he can find some success this year. Nando to the lineup?

285 A- … probably had some of the wind taken out of his sails once we lost 197, but not much to complain about here. Still would have loved to see him vs Cass.

This was going to be our best chance in/for awhile to beat them and didn’t get it done. Hope we have a successful weekend in Vegas.
I hear this last part, then I look at all the transfers and wonder why people are so certain. Is it just pessimistic people? Probably the same people that thought our football season was over after the Ohio loss.

Reactions: Proton

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Well, listening to that, Dresser basically said he will never throw a brick again. A good ref is going to be confident in his call unless the other ref says I saw this or that and then be confident with the call with that information.
While I wanted KD to challenge at 141 I will say that it never seems to matter I'm wrestling. I don't know if it's an ego thing or what, but I can't think of another sport where the overturn rate is so low. Probably futile either way.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
While I wanted KD to challenge at 141 I will say that it never seems to matter I'm wrestling. I don't know if it's an ego thing or what, but I can't think of another sport where the overturn rate is so low. Probably futile either way.
I agree with the overturn probability. The reason it is so low is that its the only sport where they review their own calls. They don't want to admit they were wrong.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

Armchair QB but you have to know your athlete there. Does your athlete need a mental and physical break? If yes, throw the brick and refocus going into OT. Feels like one of the 4 coaches should have had a better understanding Ech needed a break.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I thought that Dresser's explanation was pretty clear for why he didn't throw the brick and, no, it doesn't mean he'll never throw a brick.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
This is a dumb mentality. Basically saying refs are too proud to reverse their call.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I hear this last part, then I look at all the transfers and wonder why people are so certain. Is it just pessimistic people? Probably the same people that thought our football season was over after the Ohio loss.
For me it’s because we haven’t beaten them since 2004 and are underdogs every year.

Don’t know how it’s comparable to losing to Ohio in football.

• Agree
Reactions: MattforState

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought that Dresser's explanation was pretty clear for why he didn't throw the brick and, no, it doesn't mean he'll never throw a brick.
Yeah, he's only going to throw the brick if they say they aren't certain about the call and then don't go to the monitor, trying to remember that ever happening though.