Will we make postseason?

• Yes NCAA Tournament

• Yes NIT

• Not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
I think so too. I'm not down on him but my observation is he looks a lot like Big Rob did at first where he was too wound up and trying to force things to happen instead of let the game just come to him.

He plays 4 minutes a game. Just wtf is he supposed to do in that little of time?!

Reactions: swisher

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
JFC, it’s the 6th game of the season with all the new players and an injured returner. CHILL!
Goalposts: moved. This is one of the most talented Iowa State rosters ever on paper (up there with Niang, Morris, Thomas teams). And the new players argument is terrible as in this transfer portal era we will have a bunch of players new to ISU starting every year. So if they aren't meshing early than it is an issue

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Genuinely curious: What opinions have you seen that are “not chill”?

Is any level of criticism/frustration/concern valid yet?
There are people here who do nothing but criticize.
There are good things happening on the court as well, crazy I know.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think so. I think we probably missed Hasan a bit. Can’t tell if I should worry about Lipsey being our most prolific rebounder or maybe just chalk that up to what a complete player he is.

The offense isn’t pretty and we have scoring droughts of great length, but then I look at the score and we have more points than it feels like.

I haven’t really analyzed the conference schedule enough to know if we got a good or a bad deal on our games with the newcomers.

Hoping someone has a big game from the outside against a decent team to open the floor up more for us.
Otz needs to find an offensive guru type person to help. His offense has struggle many times sense he’s been here. Just seems he needs to find a different approach or something.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
There are people here who do nothing but criticize.
There are good things happening on the court as well, crazy I know.
Respectfully, that wasn’t an answer to my question.

And yes, of course there are good things happening. All teams have “good moments” and “bad ones”. When a team loses, it’s human nature to discuss the things that led to the loss.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My concern is TJ took scrubs the last 2 years and maximized the most out of them. This is his most talented team in his time here and our 3rd best 3 point shooter is hitting 20% from 3.

So we got worse at defense to get better at offense, and our offense is absolute pure dog ****.

It is so incredibly insulting that multiple times this tournament teams had 5 guys crash the paint fully aware no one was a threat outside.

It’s fixable, but learning how to shoot a basketball is much more difficult, imo, than any other aspect of the game.

Can you imagine if Tamin didn’t improve his scoring ability from last year? Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Respectfully, that wasn’t an answer to my question.

And yes, of course there are good things happening. All teams have “good moments” and “bad ones”. When a team loses, it’s human nature to discuss the things that led to the loss.
I choose to draw a distinction between people who do nothing but criticize, and those who don’t. Since you refuse to address the obvious difference, I’ll just have to assume you’re in the former group and can’t.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
This team will be in the NCAA tournament, but to be a serious team in this league, you need a minimum of 3 guys who you have to respect at the 3 point line on the floor at all times. I’d give my left nut if it would be an emphasis for TJ in year 4.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I got busy doing some other things, then watching and NFL game, so I didn't listen/see the the game. With that in mind, those that have watched the last 3 games, why are we reverting back to a 7 man rotation, maybe 8? I thought we were so deep and were going to play 9-11 players on a regular basis (8-10, seeing that Hason is out)? I see that Watson hardly played today, for example. Omaha only played 4 minutes?

It makes even less sense when some of our guys aren't shooting well, i.e., can't hit the ocean from a ship. Rotate more players if you've got 'em, and stay fresh equals maybe shooting better? I thought that was a lesson TJ maybe learned late last year? We have the depth this year, why are we not using it now that the competition is better?

Anyway, that's my comment. Also, playing a hard TJ style defense and conditioning, does that affect your game stroke due to fatigue?

Seems a strange question, yes, after only 8 or 9 games, but it's what I'm thinking.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Holy poop TJ's first two teams made the tourney and people are questioning this one? :explode::explode::explode::explode::explode::explode:
I'm certainly not. Not yet anyway. I was wondering, however, why our player rotation numbers, or player minutes for some of the subs, are down so much the last 3 games? If we would have played more players, would the results be worse, or better?

Reactions: swisher

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
In light of what we witnessed this weekend, I think they'll be fine, but most likely went from a potential 3-5 seed to a 6-11 play in seed..

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I got busy doing some other things, then watching and NFL game, so I didn't listen/see the the game. With that in mind, those that have watched the last 3 games, why are we reverting back to a 7 man rotation, maybe 8? I thought we were so deep and were going to play 9-11 players on a regular basis (8-10, seeing that Hason is out)? I see that Watson hardly played today, for example. Omaha only played 4 minutes?

It makes even less sense when some of our guys aren't shooting well, i.e., can't hit the ocean from a ship. Rotate more players if you've got 'em, and stay fresh equals maybe shooting better? I thought that was a lesson TJ maybe learned late last year? We have the depth this year, why are we not using it now that the competition is better?

Anyway, that's my comment. Also, playing a hard TJ style defense and conditioning, does that affect your game stroke due to fatigue?

Seems a strange question, yes, after only 8 or 9 games, but it's what I'm thinking.
The rotations have been odd the last couple games to say the least. If I'm Omaha or Demarion right now, I might be questioning my commitment to this thing. Too early for a rash decision, but like you noted, 4 minutes for potential lottery pick is not a good look for TJ. Texas A&M had a lot of success crashing the offensive glass with athletic players that could jump out of the gym. Our 2 most athletic wing type players just collecting dust on the bench thru it all. Not very inspiring.

Reactions: swisher and t-noah

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In light of what we witnessed this weekend, I think they'll be fine, but most likely went from a potential 3-5 seed to a 6-11 play in seed..

It's really hard to figure out.

Playing horrible teams isn't a great indicator...but they did look a lot better and more complete than the past two years against those same caliber of horrible teams. To me that speaks to some higher potential down the road, while being very misleading to us a week ago.

It's possible they might be tough at Hilton and have to learn to win on the road or even to win away from home at dead/disinterested venues.

This game @DePaul could show us something if they can play well away from Hilton for the first time. The first time a ranked team comes into Hilton that could also show us something. I'm not sure how enlightening Iowa at home will be because we don't know how good they are even though they are usually motivated for it.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if the reason we are struggling with shooting is because the players have tired legs? We know our team pushes hard in practice, and the off season program is brutal. Maybe the cumulative effect from all of that plus 3 games in 4 days has worn the guys down. Overtraining does hurt performance. I also worry about Tamin, he is logging a lot of minutes. Anyway, just a theory as to why we are struggling.

Reactions: t-noah

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I trust TJ, but this team is deeply flawed and no one outside of Lipsey, Milan, Bob, and Tre is doing anything positive.

Omaha is dangerously flirting with major bust territory. Jones and Gilbert are complete liabilities. Pav is just there. Watson isn’t even playing at this point.

This team does nothing well. I don’t see where the Big 12 wins come from, and I wouldn’t be surprised to take another couple losses prior to league play.

No post season for me.