I was pissed and I’m hurting

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Gotta love having selective memory. Not to mention just how bad the lineup was at the end of the Jackson years. Our weakest weight right now is 197 with Broderson being ranked 25th. Over half of the Jackson lineup was unranked and uncompetitive. The Jackson years were dark and he really plunged the program into a massive hole. The teams were generally in poor condition, awful mat wrestlers, and not even close to competing in duals. There are things that we need to improve as a program, and Dresser knows that. But to compare the 2 eras and say we are in a similar spot now that we were with KJ is just nonsense
You mean you didn't like just strolling into a random dual in Hilton and plunking down in the first two rows with no one saying a word (because no one was there) and watching guys get lunged out in the first minute and half?

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Jackson didn't pull in guys with sketchy histories? Hmm...cough PD3 cough
The whole point is nobody can take it when someone has legitimate criticism of the coaching. Whatever message you all are twisting about being the same as Jackson is laughable. Not at all what was written.
We got embarrassed on national TV after spewing for weeks how this was our year to beat Iowa. Outcoached and outwrestled. Three of our wrestlers got beat because they kept trying junior high moves. Another one had a legitimate Dave Schulz choke.
And PD3? All he did was beat up some stupid frat boys before he got here, not a woman.
I being realistic and that is it.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
The whole point is nobody can take it when someone has legitimate criticism of the coaching. Whatever message you all are twisting about being the same as Jackson is laughable. Not at all what was written.
We got embarrassed on national TV after spewing for weeks how this was our year to beat Iowa. Outcoached and outwrestled. Three of our wrestlers got beat because they kept trying junior high moves. Another one had a legitimate Dave Schulz choke.
And PD3? All he did was beat up some stupid frat boys before he got here, not a woman.
I being realistic and that is it.
What are you talking about? There have been plenty in the wrestling threads that had legitimate questions about decisions that were made in the dual.

What we aren't taking is your comparison of the state of the program under Dresser to the state of the program that was under Jackson.

And if you honestly believe that was the extent of PD3's sketchiness then maybe your head aint buried in the sand with Dresser but I for sure can think of a place it is buried

Reactions: cyputz

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Iowa's wrestlers were less aggressive overall, but ISU's coaches take the cake for passivity.
I dont need the coach to be aggressive. Any one else see Brands look for Metcalf to shake hands, but looked like BM immediately hit the locker room.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
What are you talking about? There have been plenty in the wrestling threads that had legitimate questions about decisions that were made in the dual.

What we aren't taking is your comparison of the state of the program under Dresser to the state of the program that was under Jackson.

And if you honestly believe that was the extent of PD3's sketchiness then maybe your head aint buried in the sand with Dresser but I for sure can think of a place it is buried
Again, I can’t help your misinterpretation regarding the comparisons between programs.
Regarding PD3, I clearly said before he got here. Can’t count what he did after. Why don’t you enlighten me on his discretions prior to arrival in Ames?

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Again, I can’t help your misinterpretation regarding the comparisons between programs.
Regarding PD3, I clearly said before he got here. Can’t count what he did after. Why don’t you enlighten me on his discretions prior to arrival in Ames?
Please explain what your OP was about then so we can get the correct interpretation from you on it. I'm happy to apologize if you explain it better then how it appears everyone is taking it.

What you originally said was "
Right after Jackson took over, fellow Cylone fans told me how happy they were that the team was wrestling more aggressively than they were with Cael. A lot of people bought into that and buried their heads.
I think we all see how foolish that was.
Filling a team with ”talent” does nothing if you can’t coach fundamentals and improve the talent you get. I’m not burying my head."

Followed up by:

"You’re being serious? Read it again. You’re getting fooled just like you did with Jackson. Except he didn’t pull in guys with sketchy histories."

So to me how I see that is you are saying that DRESSER is filling the team with "talent" but is unable to coach fundamentals. Followed up with you aren't burying your head like what happened with Jackson. Again that is comparing Dresser to Jackson. Then you go on to say we all are getting fooled liek we did with jackson. That again is pointing towards you comparing Dresser to Jackson.

LOL also on the PD3. Oh he didn't do **** before he came who cares what he did when he was here can you believe dresser took someone with a history? Just don't pay any attention to how he has walked the line and done everything he needed to take full advantage of the 2nd chance he was given.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Please explain what your OP was about then so we can get the correct interpretation from you on it. I'm happy to apologize if you explain it better then how it appears everyone is taking it.

What you originally said was "
Right after Jackson took over, fellow Cylone fans told me how happy they were that the team was wrestling more aggressively than they were with Cael. A lot of people bought into that and buried their heads.
I think we all see how foolish that was.
Filling a team with ”talent” does nothing if you can’t coach fundamentals and improve the talent you get. I’m not burying my head."

Followed up by:

"You’re being serious? Read it again. You’re getting fooled just like you did with Jackson. Except he didn’t pull in guys with sketchy histories."

So to me how I see that is you are saying that DRESSER is filling the team with "talent" but is unable to coach fundamentals. Followed up with you aren't burying your head like what happened with Jackson. Again that is comparing Dresser to Jackson. Then you go on to say we all are getting fooled liek we did with jackson. That again is pointing towards you comparing Dresser to Jackson.
The product on the mat now is better than it was with Jackson. This is due to better overall talent and use of resources. Where that talent came from is one thing I am questioning. And I absolutely am saying that the current talent is not being developed well, it just showed up here and stayed the same.
We can’t throw shade at Iowa or Penn State and overlook things like 141, 125 and the 133 they brought in.
So even though the product may be better, we might not be better off in the long run. Unless we’re happy outside the top 5.
And please enlighten me on PD3. You can’t change your argument to fit your narrative. Plenty on this board thought PD3 should stay when Dresser came. Please tell me what he did before he got here except beat up frat boys. That is all that is relevant to this discussion.

Last edited:

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
The product on the mat now is better than it was with Jackson. This is due to better overall talent and use of resources. Where that talent came from is one thing I am questioning. And I absolutely am saying that the current talent is not being developed well, it just showed up here and stayed the same.
We can’t throw shade at Iowa or Penn State and overlook things like 141, 125 and the 133 they brought in.
So even though the product may be better, we might not be better off in the long run. Unless we’re happy outside the top 5.
And please enlighten me on PD3
What talent that we took are you referring to that hasn't been developed based on this past dual? 41? 57? We all admitted to how we were disappointed at 84?

Who in this thread threw any shade at Iowa or PSU about anything? I haven't seen a single post about them being brought up? You are the one that brought up sketchy pasts.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Dresser and the rest were not happy I promise. They will hopefully let this one burn deep from the top down.
Dresser admitted the corner lost at least one match. Will one of the three be the designated ‘riding time coach’ going forward?

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
What talent that we took are you referring to that hasn't been developed based on this past dual? 41? 57? We all admitted to how we were disappointed at 84?

Who in this thread threw any shade at Iowa or PSU about anything? I haven't seen a single post about them being brought up? You are the one that brought up sketchy pasts.
125, 174, 197
Are the others better than they would have been with someone else coaching? I don’t know
Well, I have read the boards, plenty has been brought up about other schools. You know that, didn’t have to be mentioned in this thread
I think you’re attacking the wrong guy here. Everything I’ve said I stand by. If I’m calling out the guys who have been in trouble from other teams and their coaches I better be looking at my own.

Last edited:

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
25 and 97 are the experienced wrestlers at their weight. They probably are the best wrestlers at the moment. Will they be the guys there in March? Who knows. 74 is a redshirt freshman that has a funky style. To say he's maxed out and "developed" is a bit asinine. And to use our worst weights as your barometer for program development is doing nothing but cherry picking what fits your narrative and trying to prove a point you know is wrong.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz and stuclone

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Really? You have people on one of these threads calling for the volunteer coaches’ son to go at 197. Which would be nepotism since he lost the tryout.
You’re calling 125 and 174 the weakest weights? 28 hours ago they were going to beat Ayala and Arnold.
This is ridiculous. This is a wrestling board. I’m talking wrestling

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Really? You have people on one of these threads calling for the volunteer coaches’ son to go at 197. Which would be nepotism since he lost the tryout. Oh, did I forget that back when St.John’s brother started when losing the tryout?
He’s also got a ranked win when he majored the Cleveland State guy and at least opens it up during matches. Wrestle offs only show so much since the wrestlers know each other so well from going every day in the room. Nando deserves a chance to show what he can do with Broderson not producing. Hell, Broderson barely scored against Wisconsin’s backup 184 pounder. He just has no leg attacks and is either a headlock or bust. We need someone that will open it up at that weight. I honestly wouldn’t mind if Helgeson was given a chance there as another option if Nando isn’t the guy