Here comes the doomsday thread, sorry

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So, to play along, we've got 450 "student athletes" @ $30,000 per year.
That's $13,500,000 per year into Educational Trust Funds. Do I understand this correctly?

Is there a minimum sport component to this proposal?

ISU baseball the entire AD and keep 4 sports. Roll that up to $90k per athlete.

Add some sweet sweet Iowa Bacon cash and it's championship city

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
**** yeah they are. For our hearts and minds.

I don't play golf against other people. It's an internal contest to see how well I can play with 10 beers in me. A fine fine sport.
I guess there are people who buy season tickets to watch the band. Never understood it but they probably don’t understand how I can get wound up during a football game. Maybe the band can do some NIL stuff.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This. A league made up only of big brands with existing built in fan bases is going to draw plenty of eyeballs. And the sports betting aspect will continue to draw attention from outside those fan bases as well.

If you're banking on this thing failing, you're probably going to be disappointed. The viewers will be there.
There will be less viewers for that product than there are for the current iteration of college football, but it absolutely would be viable.

I feel like they're betting on fans from the lower 2/3rds of the P5 becoming fans of a team that makes the cut, and that's just really unlikely.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Is there a minimum sport component to this proposal?

ISU baseball the entire AD and keep 4 sports. Roll that up to $90k per athlete.

Add some sweet sweet Iowa Bacon cash and it's championship city
You have to have 14 sports with at least 8 women's sports to be Division I.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The problem is that due to Title IX the amount going to each athlete won't amount to much to make a difference since it will be diluted across every sport. Until the NCAA or CFB specifically find a way around it (Conferences paying the players directly is the most likely), I don't see any of this helping.
Schools run the conferences and the NCAA, so those loopholes would not fly in federal court.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Also the Landus headset thing kinda ticks me off. They pay no freaking dividends but a little on corn sales, especially compared to others but I get to watch my dividends go to a head set thing????

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Good point..

Probably won't get any better with the 12 team playoff, either. I think every team in the Top 12 right now is in the Big 10 or SEC for next year.

So, as an Iowa State fan.. why wouldn't I enjoy maybe a new division below the P2 and we can do our own thing? I think you could eventually start enjoying that.
Except for FSU, yes, you’re correct.

A 12-team playoff this year would have 10 teams that are in the SEC/B1G next year. TEN!

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So this would come from athletics budgets only l assume? Do they need to be in school?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
A second NFL has never been successful. I'd like to hear the pitch on why an "elite" college league with a limited number of teams will be any different.
If you go back into ancient history far enough there is. The AFL existed as its own entity, and was successful enough to warrant absorption into the NFL as the AFC division.

But since the 1960's, yes, you are correct.

Reactions: stewart092284

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
To me, this is the NCAA trying to maintain their own relevance. This model, or something similar, is coming to college sports one way or another. Schools are going to compensate athletes. There's no avoiding that.

This feels like the NCAA trying to make sure that they're still involved when that happens, rather than see schools peel off and form their own governing body.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
If you go back into ancient history far enough there is. The AFL existed as its own entity, and was successful enough to warrant absorption into the NFL as the AFC division.

But since the 1960's, yes, you are correct.
Yes, post AFL-NFL merger.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Except for FSU, yes, you’re correct.

A 12-team playoff this year would have 10 teams that are in the SEC/B1G next year. TEN!
Wonder how those schools are going to like to compete with the new ones. Gotta think ole miss, Mizzou, OU (not in but first out), Penn state are all looking at each other and thinking this was a perfect storm but a few of us will not be in the playoffs next year due to the new comers.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A second NFL has never been successful. I'd like to hear the pitch on why an "elite" college league with a limited number of teams will be any different.
Built in fanbases.

This super league would make money, but I think it will make less money than it does now. The entire theory rides on the idea that the same number of people will watch all of these games, but the proceeds are split fewer ways.

If you eliminate 2/3rds of the current major programs from being allowed to participate, their fans aren't going to tune into the teams in the top division as much as they currently do. This will drive down ad revenue.

85clone

Jan 2, 2010
Half of that. You've got to contribute $30k for every 2 athletes.
Thanks - Title IX would have to play into that "every 2" I would assume.
Get the portal fired up when you're not included though, unless the stated scholarship commitment comes into play.
And if you are not one of the selected 2, you merely get scholarships and the associated bennies or are merely PWOs?