Collegiate Duals Mon 12/18

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
For reference to the C&G collective and how big NIL money is in wrestling....I believe it's fairly well known to those who pay attention and ask questions that DC was offered $300k to leave Ames.

My point being that these kids ain't leaving their schools for "better facilities/coaches/etc"
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I appreciate your honesty and the stats you gave. That's what I was asking for, but @Tigerguy_ wants to not give them.

Ultimately,, I may be wrong, but I think if wrestlers from the tops teams are asked why they went there they will say it is due to coaching/facilities. As mentioned I may be wrong.

However, it is proven daily that schools are buying their teams. I.e. #1 QB in the nation going to Nebraska. Guys like Nick Saban and others complaining about NIL cause they know their schools can't keep up. I honestly hate it, and am sorry for ruffling feathers as that was not my intention. I most likely misspoke and do sincerely apologize
Tigerguy doesn't answer specifics, he just makes a bunch of winky face/ (insert smiley face) posts. I don't understand the condescension. You were open about your ignorance, I don't think you deserve that. Thanks for supporting ISU.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I think what you pointed out at the beginning is what he was getting at. That FB and MBB carry every other sport in the AD. If FB is doing well, it frees up more money for things like, better coaching pay, a new practice facility, entering better meets and things like that.

Unless you are very in tune with ISU wrestling, there is a good chance you have no idea about the cardinal and gold collective. With We Will, donors can feel more connected to the sport of their preference by getting town hall zoom meetings and interviews with coaches and athletes that aren’t available to the general public. Those type of benefits can help the team by getting cash to the wrestler and forming a tighter connection to the sport.
Bingo. This is what the wrestling collective is missing at this point IMO. Just saying donate to us so we can stay competitive and the what do you get is Cliff Keen championships and wrestlers not ducking etc. is not good enough. I would be happy to donate if there were virtual townhall type things.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Bingo. This is what the wrestling collective is missing at this point IMO. Just saying donate to us so we can stay competitive and the what do you get is Cliff Keen championships and wrestlers not ducking etc. is not good enough. I would be happy to donate if there were virtual townhall type things.
I mean Dresser and Co do a boatload of public interactions with fans...from socials to outings they are far more accessible than just a virtual townhall meeting.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I mean Dresser and Co do a boatload of public interactions with fans...from socials to outings they are far more accessible than just a virtual townhall meeting.
socials and outings that are not accessible or reasonable to all compared to coaches and staff from FB and MBB sitting down on Zoom for 30-45 minutes during a lunch hour so you can join from anywhere and is recorded on YouTube to view later if you can't join then.

Reactions: BCClone

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
For reference to the C&G collective and how big NIL money is in wrestling....I believe it's fairly well known to those who pay attention and ask questions that DC was offered $300k to leave Ames.

My point being that these kids ain't leaving their schools for "better facilities/coaches/etc"
But doesn't that prove the point the DC stayed at ISU for the coaching and facilities? Is ISU offering him $300k??? Ultimately, I FEEL (once again an assumption), a wrestler is more than likely to stay or go to a school that has some of the best coaches and facilities that are offered. Ofcourse at times money will trump all, however I would like to know what % that does. Sorry I like stats. I feel as if team sports may be more affected by $$$ as players on those TEAMS don't feel as tied to the coach. Where as wrestling they are more in it to better their craft. If on a team, one person makes a mistake it may not cause any issues where individual sports like wrestling, golf, etc you see the mistake that was made. Ultimately, if a golfer wanting to go to the next level is given $300k to go and play for Gardner Webb or go and play for Tiger Woods I would think most golfers would take the Tiger Woods route more often than not.

I may be naive, however if I wanted to pursue an opportunity at the Olympic level I am going to wrestle for those coaches that have "been there, done that". I knew as a wrestler my team wasn't going to beat my opponent I was.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jcordova8

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
socials and outings that are not accessible or reasonable to all compared to coaches and staff from FB and MBB sitting down on Zoom for 30-45 minutes during a lunch hour so you can join from anywhere and is recorded on YouTube to view later if you can't join then.
If that's something you like and enjoy then I see where you would be disappointed.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
For the Collegiate Duals, didn't last year the teams that won their pool wrestle each other. i.e. why ISU wrestled PSU? If so, why did they go away from that?