• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I really enjoyed season 2. They didn't try as hard to shoehorn everything into a connecting narrative in season 2, though they still have a pretty wild finale.

For the ongoing discussion, I'll skip Echo. I'm just not really interested, and if it's as violent as people have hinted at, I'm not watching that with my kiddo around.

If it means anything, I listened to an internet personality laugh at how "Mature" rated the show was portrayed to be in the commercials. He said it was all internet gimmick and that it was a hard PG-13 at best in reality.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I have enjoyed Legacy of Monsters quite a bit. I won’t spoil anything but await to hear your thoughts, particularly on the pacing of the show as you get into it more.

I enjoyed Echo Episode 1 surprisingly. Nothing out of this world but I enjoyed the serious tone. We shall see where it goes.

Good to hear. I'll be sure to share my thoughts in the Monsterverse thread as I go along and finish. Of all the shared universes right now, I'm enjoying the Monsterverse the most right now, which is crazy for me to say.

Reactions: jctisu

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Watched the first episode of Echo. Seemed ok enough to want to finish it. Getting Reacher S1 or Walking Tall vibes a bit. Each episode gets progressively shorter to the point of the finale being 15 minutes shorter than the premiere. Premiere is heavily backstory and clips from Hawkeye, but at least we got some of that as opposed jumping right into something assuming we've watched everything previous.

As far as the TV-MA thing, there is enough there to push it above PG-13(or TV-14 in this case). Audible neckbreaking alone will pushing it out of that category. And I've read that they tag a show with the most severe rating based on it's most severe episode, Even if some don't think the premiere episode rises to the level of TV-MA, one of the episodes may do so.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Watched the first episode of Echo. Seemed ok enough to want to finish it. Getting Reacher S1 or Walking Tall vibes a bit. Each episode gets progressively shorter to the point of the finale being 15 minutes shorter than the premiere. Premiere is heavily backstory and clips from Hawkeye, but at least we got some of that as opposed jumping right into something assuming we've watched everything previous.

As far as the TV-MA thing, there is enough there to push it above PG-13(or TV-14 in this case). Audible neckbreaking alone will pushing it out of that category. And I've read that they tag a show with the most severe rating based on it's most severe episode, Even if some don't think the premiere episode rises to the level of TV-MA, one of the episodes may do so.
I thought the same. I watched the first episode last night and will give it a go.

I'm personally burned out on the universe/multiverse level threats that render the majority of superheroes ineffective. Give me a "smaller stakes" superhero that needs to fight and out-think a villain where the outcome doesn't have to be resolved by who gets the better CGI powers. I want good story-telling and characters.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

I'm through three episodes, and I will write (without giving too much away here) that the action setpiece in Episode 3 is by far and away the most violent scene I've ever watched on Disney +. Granted, that is not a high bar to clear, but man does it clear it.

I will also write that for a series that was seemingly doomed to fail based on all of the bad publicity surrounding it that I am really enjoying it so far. It's not my favorite series that is Marvel-based, but I would easily put it ahead of some of the more recent offerings.

Reactions: houjix

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I thought the same. I watched the first episode last night and will give it a go.

I'm personally burned out on the universe/multiverse level threats that render the majority of superheroes ineffective. Give me a "smaller stakes" superhero that needs to fight and out-think a villain where the outcome doesn't have to be resolved by who gets the better CGI powers. I want good story-telling and characters.
Ha, well I dont think Echo is that show. I like the characters but you can tell this show suffered from rewrites and meandering plots threads. If you want Netflix Kingpin this show aint it. Hes a blubbering mess of a human, not the lumbering strongman we are used to. This show needed more time to flesh out Maya and her people. It was ok, but nothing Ill ever rewatch.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Ha, well I dont think Echo is that show. I like the characters but you can tell this show suffered from rewrites and meandering plots threads. If you want Netflix Kingpin this show aint it. Hes a blubbering mess of a human, not the lumbering strongman we are used to. This show needed more time to flesh out Maya and her people. It was ok, but nothing Ill ever rewatch.
..... well, crap

I'll still watch it, but I'll adjust expectations accordingly. If they neutered Kingpin like you say, that will be really really unfortunate.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I’ve seen 4 and have been enjoying it. They really fleshed out the family into some interesting characters.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I finished Echo and really enjoyed it. Character development has been lacking in these shows and they take their time somehow in such a short series and pull it off here. I love that it is back to low-stakes problems that aren’t celestial or multiverse levels. I actually didn’t mind what they did with Kingpin in this one because you can see where they are likely going next (won’t say anything spoilery).

I never judge a show on whether I would rewatch it because I am just not someone who ever rewatches a show or series. I would just have episodes of shows I liked on in the background when I used to have cable. But I can’t think of a single series I have rewatched from start to finish.

Overall Echo was a pleasant surprise.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
..... well, crap

I'll still watch it, but I'll adjust expectations accordingly. If they neutered Kingpin like you say, that will be really really unfortunate.
That's an unduly negative take, in my opinion. Give it a chance and understand that Wilson Fisk is a complex character. I'm hoping we will see "I am the ill intent" Fisk in the future.

• Winner
Reactions: jctisu

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
That's an unduly negative take, in my opinion. Give it a chance and understand that Wilson Fisk is a complex character. I'm hoping we will see "I am the ill intent" Fisk in the future.

I'm still so disappointed in what Hawkeye did with Kingpin to this day. I was so much so forward to that series too. I'm also hoping we somehow see the character somehow redeemed in Echo. If anything, that is actually the #1 thing I've been wanting with this series.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I'm still so disappointed in what Hawkeye did with Kingpin to this day. I was so much so forward to that series too. I'm also hoping we somehow see the character somehow redeemed in Echo. If anything, that is actually the #1 thing I've been wanting with this series.
I totally understand that. Fisk didn't feel right in Hawkeye at all. I don't think Echo gets us all the way there, unfortunately, but some of that seems to be due to the requirements of the story. I think I need ro go back and watch Daredevil Season 3, though.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
This 100%. I think we will get to the classic ruthless only Kingpin, but all villains have a weakness and this series tackled that but there are a few moments where you see how dangerous Kingpin is. Obviously not anywhere near the Thanos level, but the biggest complaint a lot of times with MCU movies is the throwaway villains. They developed Thanos and gave you a reason to connect to him. My hope (fingers crossed) is they are doing that with Kingpin. Time will tell of course.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Not surprised. I’ll watch it at home but I can sense a huge amount of cheese and eyeroll inducing dialogue in this movie.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron