Speed camera

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The cameras I know are programmed at 9 over, wife got one for that in CR.
That's unfortunate, but I guess every city is allowed to designate what their tolerance is. Kind of like actual police themselves when deciding a threshold to pull someone over.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's unfortunate, but I guess every city is allowed to designate what their tolerance is. Kind of like actual police themselves when deciding a threshold to pull someone over.
Yeah but you know police officers and they said they are all set at 11 over?? How can they decide their own threshold then.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A way to avoid camera tickets, buy an ambulance. I used to blast through CR at 80-90 when I was the driver and never once did we get a ticket. Someone has to try it

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
If they'd just park an old squad car where the camera is and put a mannequin in the driver seat, people will slow down. Isn't that the intended purpose of these? They say it isn't about the revenue.

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If they'd just park an old squad car where the camera is and put a mannequin in the driver seat, people will slow down. Isn't that the intended purpose of these? They say it isn't about the revenue.
Considering half the people I see driving are also browsing social media on their phone at the same time, it'd probably take 5 minutes for the word to get around that it's not actually a cop.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, in Des Moines and the cameras on 163. How would I know or even care what's going on in CR?
That’s why I said good luck with your just stay under 11 approach. You were giving advice for people in other areas that is wrong. You thought that was dumb even though you were wrong.

• Dumb

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Considering half the people I see driving are also browsing social media on their phone at the same time, it'd probably take 5 minutes for the word to get around that it's not actually a cop.
I one time came up behind a car at a stop sign and saw they were watching a movie or TV show on their phone. They had it suction cupped to their windshield.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I one time came up behind a car at a stop sign and saw they were watching a movie or TV show on their phone. They had it suction cupped to their windshield.
I suppose that's a step up from when I see them just one hand on the wheel, phone in the other hand, maybe.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
That’s why I said good luck with your just stay under 11 approach. You were giving advice for people in other areas that is wrong. You thought that was dumb even though you were wrong.
Lol, I guess if you want to experiment with the upper limits go ahead.

Most rationale people when they know there is a speed camera will slow down to the actual speed limit or keep it within 5. If you want to start pushing 9-10 over that's the risk you're taking.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Lol, I guess if you want to experiment with the upper limits go ahead.

Most rationale people when they know there is a speed camera will slow down to the actual speed limit or keep it within 5. If you want to start pushing 9-10 over that's the risk you're taking.
I just go around 5 over at all times so I’m not that worried. Been pulled over at 58 in a 55 one time. Dude was low on warnings so he gave me a verbal.

• Agree

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The town I live in has constant speeding issues. Drivers are going 45+ in a 25 zone. City council has contacted the sheriff's office to have more of a presence, but said they're understaffed. The town set up the mobile radars to show the driver's speed. It worked initially, then people just ignored them. I'm ready for my town to collect.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The cameras I know are programmed at 9 over, wife got one for that in CR.
For the record I believe this would be on a city street where I think the threshold is 5 as we have been bit by the one at 10th street and 1st ave for going five over. The ones on 380 are set at 11 over I believe.

Marion has also added cameras on 100 at East Post Road and at the intersection of 13 and 151, I believe those are set at 5 because Marion. They also now have a mobile speed unit that they advertise where it will be and when. I unfortunately forgot last week and am expecting a ticket from that one now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron