Speed camera

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
So the Prairie City IA PD takes pictures of vehicles on the highway. And they would like vehicle owners to send them money.
Thoughts?

Reactions: pourcyne

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
My dad received one in the mail last week from them.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
So the Prairie City IA PD takes pictures of vehicles on the highway. And they would like vehicle owners to send them money.
Thoughts?
How thoughtful of them. All I know is that ignoring the donation makes it a LOT worse.

Reactions: VeloClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Paper says 75 in a 65 .... but I wasn't driving. And no picture of who was driving.

Doesn't matter for the purposes of speed cameras. This is also why they don't count against your driving record. Instead of it being a traffic infraction (where it would have to be shown you're the driver) it is simply a civil violation against your vehicle, (kind of like a parking ticket), holding the owner responsible for the vehicle going that speed through that area.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah, nailed me last year on way to airport. Am told they can prevent registration renewal if you don't pay, but it doesn't go on driving record. Its a civil matter (LOL) generates millions for them, so I donated 100 to them. Interesting that you send your money to Prairie City Police, Chattanooga, Tennessee. LOL

Plane was late departing anyway.:mad:

Reactions: Drew0311

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, nailed me last year on way to airport. Am told they can prevent registration renewal if you don't pay, but it doesn't go on driving record. Its a civil matter (LOL) generates millions for them, so I donated 100 to them. Interesting that you send your money to Prairie City Police, Chattanooga, Tennessee. LOL

I'm not an Iowa resident.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I'm not an Iowa resident.
Guess it would depend on reciprocal agreements between states, but they will try to stop you from registering vehicle. The company they deal with is national and they take a cut so they will know if your state will comply and whether to pursue your car.

• Informative
Reactions: FallOf81

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

Most municipalities and Police Departments deal with a 3rd party that installs and maintains the equipment and then typically handles billing and collections in exchange for a %. I'm pretty sure I read (about 5 years ago) that the City of Cedar Rapids uses a company out of Arizona that gets 25% of revenue. The City of CR still raked in between $7M-$8M. Not to bad considereing all they need is a mailbox to pick up the checks.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
The speed cameras by (not in) Prairie City are ********. They are set up on 163 which completely bypasses the city. Wouldn't have a problem if they were set up in a business or residential area in Prairie City instead of in rural farmland.

Reactions: ST8TAILG8R

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Wonder if it's the same $100 for 10 over or 40 over? If it is, then that really sucks.