Speed camera

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
So the Prairie City IA PD takes pictures of vehicles on the highway. And they would like vehicle owners to send them money.
Thoughts?

Ignore it. Civil violation, and while they can give it a collection agency, you do not have to pay them, and they cannot legally report it to a credit agency.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
If everyone in the state of Iowa stopped paying for these tickets, they would go away within a year. Almost all of the deals these cities have license the photograph equipment and the companies get X% of all tickets, even if the ticket goes unpaid.

Reactions: Drew0311

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I remember when they put red light cameras up in my town in Texas. Between the AG and the governor, it was determined that a ticket could only be issued if an officer was at the intersection.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Ignore it. Civil violation, and while they can give it a collection agency, you do not have to pay them, and they cannot legally report it to a credit agency.
I got two in Waterloo about 5 years ago on back to back weeks. After a couple of threatening letters from a collection agency (which I ignored) nothing else ever happened. They don't go on your driving record or credit report so why pay them?

• Winner
Reactions: Cytown12 and Gorm

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I see where Marshalltown put in a couple. Webster City just approved to put two in, but you won’t get a ticket unless you are 11 mph over.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Do people get upset at parking tickets left on their windshield as much as they do getting a speeding ticket in the mail. They are the exact same thing.

The bigger problem is that they don't actually solve many issues.

Many times with speed cameras you have one of two issues:

1- the speed limit is arbitrarily set too low (to generate revenue)
2- if the speed limit needs to be lower, the road needs a design that is in line with that speed.

Putting in a speed camera gives a financial incentive that encourages item 1, and discourages fixing item 2.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
The speed cameras by (not in) Prairie City are ********. They are set up on 163 which completely bypasses the city. Wouldn't have a problem if they were set up in a business or residential area in Prairie City instead of in rural farmland.
Wut, and collect a million in fines from the locals! That would get those city councilmen and police chief a lot of votes-not. Need to keep their jobs, vote totals enhanced by new ambulance, fire truck and kids park, without a single raise in taxes. The financing all coming from out of towners!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
That's true but way cheaper. And an actual person writes the ticket.
And an actual person delivers your speeding ticket. Why is that important to you?

Edit: an actual person reviews each potential ticket.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

2- if the speed limit needs to be lower, the road needs a design that is in line with that speed.

Putting in a speed camera gives a financial incentive that encourages item 1, and discourages fixing item 2.
Not necessarily a fan of them…. Just understand what that are and do. Which isn’t much.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

What does 2 even mean here?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I'm not being obtuse at all intentionally but is the point we throw in a bunch of stops or roundabouts or some kind of traffic calming thing?
It didn’t make complete sense… but the premise I feel was there (about Toledo).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron