Speed camera

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So we have exactly the same driving habits, why exactly are we arguing then? You think it's cool for people to being going 15 over on I-80? It's dangerous.
You said you slow down for the cameras set at 11 over so now I’m confused. I don’t care if people drive faster, I’m not the police. If they don’t bother me they can do 120 for all I care.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
If you guys really want to complain about something, then someone needs to explain how rolling through a stop sign at 3mph and no other cars within 100 yards is a larger fine than speeding.

Reactions: DSM4Cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
For the record I believe this would be on a city street where I think the threshold is 5 as we have been bit by the one at 10th street and 1st ave for going five over. The ones on 380 are set at 11 over I believe.

Marion has also added cameras on 100 at East Post Road and at the intersection of 13 and 151, I believe those are set at 5 because Marion. They also now have a mobile speed unit that they advertise where it will be and when. I unfortunately forgot last week and am expecting a ticket from that one now.
Wife got hit at 9 several years ago on 380.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you guys really want to complain about something, then someone needs to explain how rolling through a stop sign at 3mph and no other cars within 100 yards is a larger fine than speeding.
Because it's a stop sign and not a stop unless nobody is around sign, they'd have to make the signs way bigger or the font way smaller if they wanted to change that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Because it's a stop sign and not a stop unless nobody is around sign, they'd have to make the signs way bigger or the font way smaller if they wanted to change that.
know a guy who stopped at a stop sign and then ran a lady over who was walking through. Many times there are other things crossing than just vehicles.

Reactions: VeloClone

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You said you slow down for the cameras set at 11 over so now I’m confused. I don’t care if people drive faster, I’m not the police. If they don’t bother me they can do 120 for all I care.
The speed limit is 65 through there, i alwasy run 70 on 163 and then will slow it down to 65 through there.

So you are ok with someone driving 120 and endangering you and your loved ones as long as they aren't "bothering" you?

Reactions: keepngoal

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So that's inherently more dangerous than going 36 in a 25mph residential zone with kids playing outside?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So we have exactly the same driving habits, why exactly are we arguing then? You think it's cool for people to being going 15 over on I-80? It's dangerous.

Why is it dangerous in Iowa but not in Iowa they are 5 higher than Iowa. It's a money grab.

Reactions: dmclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The speed limit is 65 through there, i alwasy run 70 on 163 and then will slow it down to 65 through there.

So you are ok with someone driving 120 and endangering you and your loved ones as long as they aren't "bothering" you?
If I was endangered I think that would be bothered. I assume most drivers are idiots so I always check for people driving excessively fast. Police officers in my area drive those speeds on 2 lanes with no lights or sirens and say it’s more dangerous if they run them so I just always drive like one could be coming up behind me. I also drive like the other person at the intersection is going to run the red light. A lot of crappy drivers out there.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So that's inherently more dangerous than going 36 in a 25mph residential zone with kids playing outside?
I think if we get to a point where people have no idea if someone is going to stop at a stop sign because they "didn't see anyone", yeah, probably at the very least as dangerous.

Reactions: BCClone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I've seen and heard more accidents along Grand Avenue in Ames at 20th & Grand along with 24th & Grand with people trying to beat the stop light and they aren't rolling through them at 3 mph. Wednesday afternoon someone on foot got hit along 20th and Duff. It's not all on drivers, pedestrians and cyclists think they are immune to the laws to.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Why is it dangerous in Iowa but not in Iowa they are 5 higher than Iowa. It's a money grab.
I'm going to assume you mean Kansas, I've driven on I-70 and the speed limit is 75. It's also a different state, with a different DOT, different driving conditions etc. Speed limits aren't just pulled out of thin air, they've studied the stretch of road and came to a conclusion 75 is the limits.

There're also a big stretch from KC to Lawrence that runs 4 or 5 wide and when you start getting further out west the traffic isn't as heavy and the landscape isn't nearly as tight and congested as I-80 in Iowa with wall to wall semis.

Reactions: wxman1

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This thread just reminded me that we never paid my wife's camera ticket she got on 235 a couple years ago. Seems to have disappeared because we haven't heard anything since. She got popped racing downtown to the hospital to meet one of the kids.

I did find out recently that in Grimes yellow means red. My mistake of thinking yellow meant yellow ended up running me about 275 bucks plus whatever jacked rates I end up getting from insurance when it renews.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm going to assume you mean Kansas, I've driven on I-70 and the speed limit is 75. It's also a different state, with a different DOT, different driving conditions etc. Speed limits aren't just pulled out of thin air, they've studied the stretch of road and came to a conclusion 75 is the limits.

There're also a big stretch from KC to Lawrence that runs 4 or 5 wide and when you start getting further out west the traffic isn't as heavy and the landscape isn't nearly as tight and congested as I-80 in Iowa with wall to wall semis.
Iowa legislation set the interstate speed limits in Iowa, DOT was against it originally. So your statement that they are studied isn’t a fact.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Cameras just aren't along stretchs of roads, highways or interstates. Des Moines has them at intersections for turning right on red. Daughter found out the hard way.

Reactions: dmclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That's a very confusing sentence.

I worded it poorly, interstate speed limits are arbitrary by state Iowa 70, Nebby 75, So. Dak 80. Getting a ticket in Iowa is 1 over in So. Dak. Iowa keeps their speed limits artificially low. county roads are 55. Most states are 60 at least.
It is obvious to all who follow the issue that speed cams are a money grab for the local municipalities.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron