Speed camera

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Seems kinda redundant to have cameras and officers at the same place.
I'll be more clear, maybe then an answer will happen.

Remove the cameras. Are you okay with a ticket for speeding +9 or +11 over the speed limit by WCPD at the same location?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Honestly chronic speeders should prefer cameras to random cops being posted there. if you are even moderately intelligent you know to slow down for that 200 feet, with a cop you'd have no idea which days to do it.
this AND the time needed for an in person ticket.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
My deal is now these small towns are now just setting up speed cameras on the highways going by their town just to collect revenue. Newton and Webster City are both prime examples of these. They very seldom patrolled these roads, but now just set up a camera out there for easy revenue. It really doesn't affect me much the only tkt I received by camera was from some small town south of Waterloo, Hudson maybe and it was a warning. I usually run 9 over on 4 lanes and about 5 over on 2 lanes. It usually gets me by just fine.
Are there signs warning of the cameras like in Des Moines?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm not sure people are aware of this, but not all these cameras are stationary. There are mobile cameras that change locations all of the time.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Are there signs warning of the cameras like in Des Moines?

There is a very small 12x18(?) on a post right before you drive into the zone. To be honest the signs would be really easy to miss. The radio stations in the area did a nice job of talking about them before they got put up. But it is set up to get people that don't know the area. Similar to the way nocreativity was making fun of the people passing him since they didn't know where the cameras were, while they did.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
this AND the time needed for an in person ticket.
If the town I lived in had cameras, I’d wonder what our police are doing. 75% of the time I drive into town the town cop is sitting next to the county deputy. I can eat lunch and they are still in the same spot when I leave. That church parking lot and soap factory drive are pretty secure I guess.

• Creative
Reactions: keepngoal

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If the town I lived in had cameras, I’d wonder what our police are doing. 75% of the time I drive into town the town cop is sitting next to the county deputy. I can eat lunch and they are still in the same spot when I leave. That church parking lot and soap factory drive are pretty secure I guess.
Maybe they're eating lunch

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
or they know people speed on their lunch breaks and are keeping the roads safer with their presence. Wonder if @BCClone drives +9 or +11 as he passes them, knowing they are there.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Similar to the way nocreativity was making fun of the people passing him since they didn't know where the cameras were, while they did.
But isn't part of being a licensed driver in the state of Iowa come with the responsibility of obeying traffic control devices and being aware of your surroundings?

You sound like you're making excuses for people just because they are out of their comfort zone.

• Winner
Reactions: DSM4Cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Even still at 2 in the afternoon? Besides they generally go inside a place to eat since locals give officers free beverages/lunch when they enter. One deputy told me he requests certain days for fill in shifts in town because those are days of relatives birthday parties or HS games and he can get paid to go to them.

I just thought it was dumb to even tell people that is what he does.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Even still at 2 in the afternoon? Besides they generally go inside a place to eat since locals give officers free beverages/lunch when they enter. One deputy told me he requests certain days for fill in shifts in town because those are days of relatives birthday parties or HS games and he can get paid to go to them.

I just thought it was dumb to even tell people that is what he does.
Oh, only you get to eat at 2pm!?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
or they know people speed on their lunch breaks and are keeping the roads safer with their presence. Wonder if @BCClone drives +9 or +11 as he passes them, knowing they are there.
The lunch example was just an idea for time length. It happens at 8 when I go in, 2 in the afternoon, whenever. Irritates me more about the town cops because we have doubled the amount of officers because they say the work load is too much.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
I know where they are. I asked if Business 20 is a state hwy or a city street.

The cameras are located within the city limits. Are you okay with WCPD giving you an in person ticket where the cameras are located?
I
I know where they are. I asked if Business 20 is a state hwy or a city street.

The cameras are located within the city limits. Are you okay with WCPD giving you an in person ticket where the cameras are located?
There is no business 20 that I’m aware of.

I would be fine with getting a ticket where those cameras are. I almost always set my cruise at 73 on US20. I had a trooper pull me over not far from those cameras a few years back going 73. He gave me a warning.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I'll be more clear, maybe then an answer will happen.

Remove the cameras. Are you okay with a ticket for speeding +9 or +11 over the speed limit by WCPD at the same location?
in case you over looked this @BCClone

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I

There is no business 20 that I’m aware of.

I would be fine with getting a ticket where those cameras are. I almost always set my cruise at 73 on US20. I had a trooper pull me over not far from those cameras a few years back going 73. He gave me a warning.
You may be right on Bus20, I seem to remember it being a thing.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Cool Volvo feature is that my car flashes a warning on my dash and tells me the distance when I'm coming up on permanent speed cameras. Not sure if other newer-ish cars do the same.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron